*** The Official Elite: Dangerous Thread ***

Soldato
Asp Explorer or Asp Scout? worth the extra?

Asp Explorer if you want to mine efficiently as you can't quite fit the DSS (even if you're not actively scanning you need it to return to hotspots) on the scout and retain a shield. So it's a good all in one ship though upgrade the thrusters to the max ASAP as it's also a pig :)

That's what I've been using the past few days after a fairly long break from the game and in just two trips this morning I made 83 million from Opals and Diamonds.

As for a HOTAS setup not sure there's enough in the game yet to upgrade from K & M but I might try a controller later. Can't be bothered to try and enter an arms race so will just shield up and leg it mostly avoiding combat.

Associate
HOTAS with the throttle is great and a big improvement in VR, I take the headset off very rarely, although tbh on long cruises a break from the face oven is welcome...

Soldato
yeah, i get what it's for, i just don't like the feel. might feel better after a full-on proper set-up/configuration and some hours of playing, but on my trial flights it was really annoying to get that little jump when throttling up.
you never know, this year might be the one where some proper/real SC play can be tried out!

Associate
Just spent a couple of hours running through the new mining mechanic. Actually pretty impressed. Adds a new set of challenges and is pretty fun blowing up asteroids.

It's very well done isn't it? If you mine Void Opals & you find a faction in Civil Liberty & Investment you can sell them for 1.6M CR per ton. Works out about 100M CR per hour, so the same as those passenger missions but without the tedium imho (well I find them boring anyway).

Soldato
Whereas you paid someone else lots of money for the privilege of holding their ridiculously stiff stick in yours... :p

Two things happened - APEM purchased CH Products, which they did purely because they wanted the tooling and machinery. They continue making a few hundred bits of CH kit every now and then to meet demand, but that's literally it. Their main business is making military grade switches and control systems for fighter aircraft, Caterpillar heavy plant, luxury mega-yachts, and the likes of Aston Martin, Formula 1, etc.
Basically, unless you're ordering a few hundred thousand of each switch, dial, stick, panel, paddle and the like, your order is too small to be concerned about... and given that some of their switches are so highly priced they can't even disclose it, we are talking scary money.

And yes, the fella who wrote CH Control Manager has now retired, as well as CH Hangar closing down, so unless someone else writes some independent software (which CH would probably pay quite well to adopt) this is all you get./QUOTE]

Cheers @ttaskmaster that's really interesting. Makes me think this kit will slowly become collectors items, such a damn shame it's not being developed anymore. But still better than MadKatz getting their hands on it I guess.

Soldato
It's very well done isn't it? If you mine Void Opals & you find a faction in Civil Liberty & Investment you can sell them for 1.6M CR per ton. Works out about 100M CR per hour, so the same as those passenger missions but without the tedium imho (well I find them boring anyway).

Only just unlocked my first Engineering contact which required a 800 LY round trip and scanned on the way. Probably took a couple of hours and netted 5.5 million. Then got back to my current base as it were and mined again for 2 hours and netted 223 million. So yeah mining is an easy way to set your self up without having to grind for days/weeks like I did in the beginning.

So in less than a week after a long break I achieved Tycoon status and haven't even shot at anyone yet :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Found a rock with 10% Low Pressure Diamonds so decided to mine the old way with a laser and 2 collector limpets until it was depleted. Managed 3 diamonds in ~20 mins so yeah the new way does mine a lot faster. Typical deep core with double blasters equipped should produce 20 in about the same time.

Still back in the day even 3 diamonds at a million or more would have been a fantastic find!

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Given up,

All updated, usual pain of overwriting my keybinds, no problem always take a back up so copied over the old for new as usual, Elite refuses to take the old keybinds and dammed if i will spend another hr sorting all my keybinds out again, plus it wont shutdown properly Fdev really do not help themselves.

Soldato
Given up,

All updated, usual pain of overwriting my keybinds, no problem always take a back up so copied over the old for new as usual, Elite refuses to take the old keybinds and dammed if i will spend another hr sorting all my keybinds out again, plus it wont shutdown properly Fdev really do not help themselves.

are you 100% certain that you have ALL the same controls plugged in for your binds?
ie if you have a custom profile which uses both a hotas and an xbox controller (i use the xbox pad for SRV) if you load the game up it will refuse to see your profile until you turn on the xbox pad (once the control setup is loaded if your pad turns off it is fine)

aside from that 3.3 does have a whole bunch of new controls which were not in past profiles so they will need to be added what ever you do.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Hmmm

Thats a good point, the xbox controller is unplugged due to the total lack of skill in programming pubG to set a tick box to turn the rumble off

Thanks for the tip my good man, will try that out at.

Back
Top Bottom