*** The Official Elite: Dangerous Thread ***

Associate
Not sure if it's been mentioned already here but I haven't played since they revamped exploration and discovery. Is it worth returning for?

Yes :) The new codex is worth a look, it lists galactic & planetary discoveries such as life some of which have traits to discover. Gone is the RNG of flying back & forth from the sun to find USS & flying to planets to scan them with the DSS, now you honk, park up & scan the enter system yourself using a the new FSS scanner. it's a lot quicker & a heck of lot more engaging. As for new mining, boom! (literally :) ), it's brilliant :) & involves you using the exploration tools to find the mineral hot spots. So yes, definitely worth a second look imho.

Soldato
I've had this game for a while now and not really played it as much as I want to.

Playing in VR which is amazing but the constant taking on an off to see the controls is one of the reasons i stopped playing.

I've been thinking of getting the Orion voice pack but curious to know if its plug and play or whether it takes a lot of messing around to set up like how its show in the videos?

If its straight forward I'll give it a go.

Any one know of some good video tutorials for setting it up?

Associate
hi guys, are there many of you still playing this nowadays, i been off for at least a year, decided to come back at the weekend to discover that my conda that used to have a jump range of 40lys now only has a range of 27lys, i take it things have changed somewhat, is it still possible to get really good jump ranges.

Associate
hi guys, are there many of you still playing this nowadays, i been off for at least a year, decided to come back at the weekend to discover that my conda that used to have a jump range of 40lys now only has a range of 27lys, i take it things have changed somewhat, is it still possible to get really good jump ranges.

Not sure on the conda but jump range can be extended by engineering and a rating the fsd

Associate
yeah its all a rated and engineered, there is an option in the galaxy map when plotting a course for fsd boost lvl 1 - 3, if i select 3 it gives me 50 lys jump range but exceeds fuel limit, whats the point of having the option if i cant use it lol

Soldato
yeah its all a rated and engineered, there is an option in the galaxy map when plotting a course for fsd boost lvl 1 - 3, if i select 3 it gives me 50 lys jump range but exceeds fuel limit, whats the point of having the option if i cant use it lol

That's for when you supercharge the FSD with collected materials.

Only reason for that would be if you used the engineering exploit, your exploited modules would have been reset. Otherwise something else is at fault like you have the route plotter set to use a set cargo load or something, it's very possible to attain even better jump ranges now.

Soldato
are you checked the Armour on your ship? is it possible that before you finished playing you upgraded your armour?
the anaconda jump range is a funny thing. it can only jump as far as it can due to FD made a mistake on the mass (its mass is 400t which is clearly not right). FD admitted they made a mistake but have said they wont alter it as it would cause too much rage from the users

however as soon as you start to add things like uprated armour it adds to the mass and as the conda has a relatively small FSD it does have a big effect on jump range (military grade weighs 60t more than light weight)

cargo also has a huge effect on jump range as does hull reinforcement modules.

Associate
Got a HOTAS for Christmas, so I’m just getting started really. Eagle mkIII and just reached scout status. I’ve got about 5.5m credits and need to increase my jump range. Asp explorer? I’m pathetic in combat barely manage the basic tutorial, so I’m just exploring for now. How do I build rep to get better kit and explore? Should I explore to get cash first or get my rep up, get better mission offers and then go exploring? Freelancer was fairly simple, the complexities of this game are mind boggling.

I should have read up more before taking the job to Hutton Orbital last night:)

Soldato
money isnt really an issue any more (which makes me really really sad but that is another topic all together) so this may not be worth doing, however if you like getting everything bargain price, if you get the alioth permit you can get 20% off the price of an asp there iirc.

IIRC the way to get alioth permit is to get allied with Alioth Independents faction around alioth. and once you are allied with them and with the alliance you will get a mission to get the permit. you will of course also get cash whilst building rep.

like i said, this is only really needed for the role play now you can earn money far more quickly doing missions.

Exploration builds are fairly cheap (contrary to popular belief you DONT need A rated FSD to explore, just D rate most things (the lightest) which is also cheap, and add on a detailed surface scanner and an SRV and bob is your mothers brother.

if you want fairly easy money quickly and are not bothered about combat and you do not have the money to outfit an expensive ship I suggest doing the scanning missions on planet surfaces. These are often illegal so do in a disposible ship - an E rated sidewinder just with updated FSD is ok, just remember to add the SRV. these missions pay well, are easy and fairly enjoyable.

my ultimate advice however is dont burn through the game. I know it is tempting to want all the big shinies asap but the truth is once you get there you only do exactly the same stuff you can do now. take your time. i woudl suggest going in fully with the role play, so DO do things like getting the alioth permit, DO find a faction and adopt it as your own, DO try and read the lore at the info beacons and follow galnet and your ships log. None of this is really needed but to me it is what makes the game.

and i would also say DONT do anything which feels exploity or cheesy. yes if you want to you can earn 100 million in a few hrs and it may be tempting, but imo that is a sure fire way to kill any interest in the game.

just my 2p. i love ED, however the more it goes on the more i have to work at NOT being a billionaire with all the things, which really depresses me to be honest. in some ways for me the game has massively gone backwards since 1.0 launch date (and before).

ps combat in the early ships like the eagle is fun, but it is hard..... dont even think about taking on anything more powerful than a cobra yet. once you can afford one if you get a vulture, things will suddently be much easier. the vulture is like an eagle, but better in every way and can tear ships up quite quickly. (and only costs ...... 5million is it? credits)

Associate
Picked up an Acer WMR headset this christmas, and dropped back into ED. I already had a HOTAS and was playing at 1440p but got bored of the grind and had packed the hotas into its box thinking I probably wouldn't play again.

Having a VR headset has completely rejuvinated the game for me. I'm loving it again.
Bit of mucking about to get it to display on the headset.
Needed SteamVR as well as Windows WMR for Steam, and then using ED Profiler to force use of VR.
Don't know if that's because I had a non-steam version of ED. Works consistently now anyhow.

Associate
Can't you get a Steam key from your Frontier Store account, if that's where you bought it from? If you bought it elsewhere, and have registered your key on your Frontier account, from the Third Party Accounts section of your account. This might only have applied if you'd bought it from them directly though, or might have ended, so I can't say for sure it will allow you to, but worth a look.

Back
Top Bottom