*** The Official Elite: Dangerous Thread ***

Caporegime
Stickwise you want will preferably want one with a twist axis for YAW control, otherwise you would also have to get separate rudder pedals. Elite is the same as Flight Simulator, in that if you get into it you can easily throw money at it getting controllers, and VR, before you come to your senses :)

Ooooh, if the stick can work with the Deck and Xbox, that would be good. Then I can play FS with it too!

I really wouldn't get into VR since that would require a proper Gaming PC.

Last edited:
Soldato
IF build quality has improved then check out the logitech X56 HOTAS (i may be out of date and there could be a new one)..... when it works its a very good throttle and stick for elite with lots of buttons - its often more than £150 but i got on offer.. cant remember exactly but i want to say between £100 and £150

the problem is was a massive design issue in the wiring loom that constant movement in the throttle caused the wires to tire and ultimately break, thus causing throttle issues.

if you get confirmation it has been fixed - logitech were looking into it after buying madkatz but as of 12 months after the buyout they were still using the shonky design (mine has it) maybe the RGB revision fixes it i dunno, you will have to look.

IF you cant get confirmation that this has been fixed then i would look at ThrustMaster T.16000M HOTAS (used to be £99 but seems to have gone up) its the official Elite dangerous HOTAS (iirc there was even a special edition elite one)

or even go ultra cheap - been as low as £40 T.Flight Hotas 4

pad wise use what ever you prefer, if pc supports it Elite supports it, so go with what has most buttons - not tried it but ps4/5 may be a good shout as it has the track pad on it for even more controls on the pad. i use xbox 1 pad

I had and x55 for years (about 6) but it got killed by a powered USB hub going nuts (it also took out a USB stick and a webcam plugged in, i was lucky i had unplugged my wheel to use the USB stick), when i was trying to fix it i took a look at the "dodgy wiring" and after 6 years of use it was fine. I replaced it with an x56 and the only reason i would upgrade it is because I'm getting stick envy looking at virpil and winwing stuff and wanting to build out a racing and sim rig. but dropping more money than most of the PCs I've built on peripherals just doesn't seem smart.

Only issue i would mention with the x56 is its power hungry, if it over taxes your USB power draw then it does some weird stuff with phantom button presses, which can be fatal in Elite when it slams you into the back of the station by boosting while your docking.
If you run it form MoBo USB headers or a good quality powered USB hub you wont have issues.

Soldato
you are right about the power i too have ghost presses if I use usb 2 on my mobo I forgot however as I use usb 3 which works ok. glad you didn't have the wire issue. you are fortunate however ...... if you Google you will see loads of issues as well as images as to why it happens. the x55 was a ticking time bomb as was the x56 at least when it 1st launched

I had ny x55 throttle replaced under warranty then failed again after warranty ran out for same thing thing and a friendly chap on the elite forums fixed it for me. he said he has fixed a few of them from forum members always the same issue. even Logitech admitted it when I mailed them and said they were looking into improvements

I didn't abuse it either. the x52 (built by saitek pre madcatz) was much better by all accounts

iirc that has a ribbon cable rather than a dozen or so individual tiny wires.bending and flexing exery single throttle change like in the x55 and at least my x56

a different one here

I don't think this was mine but it's possible as I posted on there (it's from the elite forum). there was a thread with a few of us who had the issue

Last edited:
Permabanned
Yesterday I was finding my feet again after several years away, cocked up the landing and blew up my Asp Explorer 2m from the landing pad.

Got much ship back but its pants now and not got much money. Prob set myself back 30 million which was a lot to me. My fault really for not taking it steady. Ugh, how to recover. Was really starting to enjoy this return.

Soldato
Yesterday I was finding my feet again after several years away, cocked up the landing and blew up my Asp Explorer 2m from the landing pad.

Got much ship back but its pants now and not got much money. Prob set myself back 30 million which was a lot to me. My fault really for not taking it steady. Ugh, how to recover. Was really starting to enjoy this return.
Huh, did you not have insurance funds?

Permabanned
Huh, did you not have insurance funds?

Yeah, and this is what I don't get. Paid the full amount with 500k change, only to find all my optional mods have vanished, along with weapons and shield :(

Everything else appears to be there.

How to you disable SCA these days? You used to be able to disable it on route through the navigation panel?

Soldato
Yeah, and this is what I don't get. Paid the full amount with 500k change, only to find all my optional mods have vanished, along with weapons and shield :(

Everything else appears to be there.

How to you disable SCA these days? You used to be able to disable it on route through the navigation panel?
Open a ticket with support, if you had the funds and selected the correct loadout at the insurance screen there is no reason to have lost the modules.

SCA?

Soldato

did you not have rebuy / insurance money? top rule for elite no rebuy then don't fly!

edit already covered sorry. it is possible to unselect modules on a claim. maybe did that by mistake?

Permabanned
edit already covered sorry. it is possible to unselect modules on a claim. maybe did that by mistake?
You're probably right, support suggested the same. Admittedly I told them I was more interested in finding the rage quit button.

They got back to me after several hours which was really swift, restored all but cargo. Thanks @Dano. I wouldn't have thought to do that.

Thanks for getting in touch and sorry to hear that you've lost optional module.

It looks like you may have clicked on select all a second time on the rebuy screen. This will de-select all optional modules.

As a gesture of good will, I've restored all the optional modules for you.

If there's anything else we can help with, please feel free to get back in touch.

Soldato
nice one. I must admit whilst I am a strong believe in the don't fly what you can't rebuy, the UI for ED leaves a lot to be desired when it comes to things like that where a simple.misspress can be a disaster.
I almost had a complete disaster way way back in the day. greed got the better of me and I loaded my type 7 up on a lucrative mission. wiped myself out with no rebuy and I had a ghost key press on my x55 throttle. (this issue is mentioned earlier in thread)

this was back when earnings were really tight and before afterburners were disabled on deploying landing gear. I ghost press boosted into the station wall (and back then space station walls had teeth.

I blew up. I was genuinely gutted and felt sick. I used to have very strict rules on how I played and this represented maybe 300 hrs play.

I swore then never again however the stars aligned and god smiled on me. there was a bug in that release (fixed within a few days) and the bug meant that my ship was restored with all cargo, despite me not having the money (and cargo is never meant to be restored).
I lost nothing.

Back
Top Bottom