***The Official Forza Motorsport 3 Thread***

OK, some more inside info..

From Che Chou, the 'lead' community manager..
Career mode has been totally revamped and will shape itself based on the type of driver you are and the cars you like. Having just played some of it before E3, I found it to be actually addictive in the way it doles out cars, rewards, and events.

Also improved will be the AI, which are not only more dynamic on the road and in a pack, but also react appropriately to the player as you chase them down on that back straight before the final corner. In other words, no more generic AI cars that never ever stray from their pre-programmed splines.

A.I. is one of the hardest things to get right, and to be fair, no game I've played feels 'right'.. They all promise dynamic A.I., yada, yada, yada, lets wait and see if this is a step in the right direction or not..

I don't believe that it was in game footage. I have seen their vids that they made using FM2, and they are incredible, but some of those moves in that vid looked very dubious to me. I hope it wasn't using the ingame physics engine anyway.:(

That was confirmed to be CGI/Pre-rendered/Scripted/Whatever by T10 shortly after E3..

I have to say, they do fail at marketing, judging purely by their own forums, 90% of the threads are people 'worried' about this that and the other from having seen the vids..

News just in..

DG has said in an interview that its defo is 8 cars on/offline..

The reasons stated for online play was that performance degrades with more then 8, and I can actually support him on that, 12 players on Race Pro = :( most of the time.. (Strangely GT5:P manages 10 cars easily when I've played, it but does suffer when you get to 12+).. The times big numbers really helps is in more 'party' mode playing, when absolutely loads of you don't care about a bit of lag, you are just messing around..

Off-line, I can't see any reason not to, but quite frankly, looking on the positive side, I only ever aim to come first, and so am only really racing 3 cars at most, the rest are almost redundant, but it's nice visually to see them all in the rear view mirror..

I'll be the first to say, this is one area GT5 will be better, and I'm happy to live with that considering that some compromise has to be made.. hell GT-PSP is looking like 4 cars, and I still intend getting that, and although it's a 'shock' to think of 4 cars, as I said, I only aim for first when playing offline, so 4 is just enough for that...

8 cars is no different than Forza 2 and I dobt I'd notice any more than that as being anythng but annoying tbh.

Just played the Superstars V8 demo, that has 19 cars on track :eek:...

I think having more cars doesn't make it worse (unless you start from the back!), it just doesn't seem to add more then a bit of welcome eye-candy at times..

Must admit i thought it was funny when the Forza guys was giving away a free car to anyone who voted for forza 3 in a poll against GT5 and they still lost lol. How can you judge on two unreleased games especially as we dont know much about one of them at all.
The three screen setups look cool and the ideas they have such as proper tyre deformation sound a step above the norm for console racers, i expect it to do very well, and it seems they are catering for the "casual" gamer. We all know those who love Gt will buy GT those who love Forza will get that, the sensible option is to get both if possible as they will both be different enough to warrant a purchase. On another note i saw one of the heads at EA reckon that NFS shift will be better than forza 3 hmm i some how dont think it will be.

That poll thing was daft, I got my unicorn car, and didn't have to vote :)
But inevitably the other side 'reacted' and it was all over the official Sony twitter, and lots of forums, as soon as the word 'vote bot' was mentioned, both sides votes started escalating very rapidly until Cnet closed it...

NFS Shift could be brilliant, but it doesn't have the following of GT or FM, so it's not going to have much longevity unless EA do something to address the whole community aspect, that is where the support normally comes from.

People are really harping on about this "difinitive" part arn't they.

Maybe they should be more like PD and not give any info.

Yep, i get the feeling more people would accept FM3 as a good game if it wasn't for this, it's just bringing all sorts of fanboyism (on both sides) out in spades..
(not aimed at any poster in this thread btw.. just all the 'buzz' on the other forums..)...

One thing is for sure, this place is one of the nicest console forums around...

Last edited:
ok the shots are of no use to me then waiting for in game stuff thx.

These are undoctored 'photo-mode' shots from the game..

i.e. either whilst racing, or from a replay they are going into 'photo-mode', setting it all up (blur/DOF/etc), and taking a picture (we will be able to do the exact same thing)..

The thing is, I guess you want some actual live gameplay shots, but since these are 'out of the car' as such, you will only ever see
1. Replay footage, using their replay cams, which adds a little more 'polish' to the graphics or,
2. Photo-mode, even more 'polish' (but still all 'in-game' assets are in-tact)

Since they have included the ability to record your race and export the video as WMV to the website, they should be able to give us at least re-play footage of these things, which would be nice, I'm not interested in comparing to GT or anything, I just like to see how it all looks in motion...

They are game models and textures captured in the game engine but I think the hardware they're running it on is adding a lot of anti-aliasing we won't see in the final product. It may be they can fix the aliasing in the Photo mode which is what they've probably used to take these shots which will explain the depth of field effect.

It is odd, but remember the game is still in development and they will have rushed these shots out to be LeMans this weekend. The wheels look fine on the North America #2 car here.

The actual live in-game graphics are 1280*720 with 4xMSAA, and judging from the gamersyde 60fps HD captures from E3, it's the highest level of AA you can expect from the console.. it's still going to have tiny jaggies, but so-far it's quite impressive..

The photo-mode (as used for these shots) is still all 'in-game', but rendered at a much higher resolution with really high AA, and I suspect maximum resolution reflections etc.. live in-game you will still get the majority of the lighting/reflections, but they will be lower quality of course..

Jump to 6:30 if you want to skip straight to FM3..

Inside Sim Racing seem to like the physics.. I already like FM2's phsyics (still prefer Race Pro's though), but if FM3 is a good step forwards, then I think it's going to really help in getting people over the whole bad T10 PR machine..

Another vid from Le Mans..

DG is showing off La Sarthe in a press event..

http://www.dailymotion.com/user/teknologikpointfr/video/x9kp6t_video-forza-motorsport-3_auto

I'm very impressed with the whole draw distance/texture detail level of the track, this is a big step up from FM2..

I notice a 'cool' feature that has been used a lot at E3, the ability to have your car temporarily controlled by the AI.. I've noticed several times Che or DG in videos suddenly looking up and talking to the camera whilst their car suddenly start religuously following suggested line.. I know it's only a 'demo' feature, but I can think of a couple of instances a feature like that would be good, e.g. my 3 year old son who could do with this kind of full one button racing...

(There is another vid of the entire 'press' event, but quite frankly it's just the entire 'definitive' rubbish for about 10 mins.. , I don't think we need to see any more of the their cringeworthy PR, who ever came up with the 'campaign', want's shooting!)

having the whole rewind feature has made me say this is a arcade game now rather than any sim game.

It's just another 'optional' feature to allow more casual people to use what is shaping up to be an excellent 'sim' game.. It's as 'arcadey' as allowing Stability Control/Traction Control in games.. except in this case using it means your laptime isn't 'certified'.. :)

If you are in any doubt as to it's 'sim' qualities, jump to 6:30 in this video which was posted earlier..

yes, i was one of the 1st to finish FZ2 in this forum and not once was any of the telemetry needed or required to complete the game that they kept spouting on about last year on how real everything is. Now having a rewind feature - well thats just plain daft on a sim game. Hopefully it can be turned off.
I can't think of one racing game where you can't just turn the realism down in one way or another to make it easy to allow you to 'complete' it.. I don't think this is going to be any different either... Am I missing the point here :confused:

Last edited:
Telemetry isn't needed but the tuners probably used it.

Just because a feature is there doesn't mean you have to use it.

It is a little superflous, but it's such as easy thing to provide, since it's all largely part of the physics engine.. I don't really use it myself..

But you certainly need to 'tune' your car's setup a lot if you want to be competitive on-line, especially with time challenges..

nice to see they have cockpit view this time. Anyway shall probably have a dabble no doubt but if they haven't done some major changes to the progression through the game compared to Forza2 then i probably get bored this time real quick. After all 20/30 laps round Laguna for each tier/lv of car got real tedious and doubt i'll bother if not much has changed, i.e no weather effects,day or night racing and done the paint job whole trade thing to death on FZ2

Can agree you may need to tune your car for online play but normally i find that not the case with most online games where people just want to ram you off the road on the 1st bend, lol

They've apparantly totally over-hauled SP and seem to think it's going to be much better..
They've got drift/drag, possibly point-to-point race modes to help people pick from, and I believe some kind of dynamic game element that changes the SP races/challenges depending on what you do..

I'll see what transpires from this, because I've never found any 'race' game engaging in SP mode, you inevitably end up racing around a circuit with other cars a lot, even if the weather/time changes, it is still quite linear..

I also know what you mean about on-line.. if you are in 'casual' races with noobs like that, you just slow down well before the first corner, then pass them all on the inside when they all ram each other into the barrier :)

Last edited:
I can see both sides TBH, its a good feature for "learners" and those who want to perfect a lap or a particular corner, but its also a cheat button for those like yourself who get involved in a racing incident. Its all part of racing i guess, wether its you getting taking out on the last band or the AI car crashing out its all part of the experience of driving. Maybe it can only be used in easy mode as such or if you use it you have some kind of penalty if you use it in a normal race. For example if you get taken out on the last lap if you didnt use the rewind you could only finish 4th, but if you use the rewind you would win race but only end up getting 50% of the win bonus and some other penalty. This would allow the skilled players to "level up" faster if they didnt have to use it and those who are not so good still advance but a slower rate and without the frustration of getting taken out.

All racing games are like this..

Take a crap driver who just wants to 'finish' the game as quickly as possible. He turns on ESP/TC/ABS/Dumb Physics/Easy AI and then just practically walks around the track to finish easily first each time..
Then you have the more discerning racers who turn everything off, physics to the max, AI on hardcore and have to spend some time learning the car and circuit and possibly tuning the cars setup and it still takes 20+ 'takes' at the race to finish first..

I really can't see how 'rewind' is any worse then many other 'assists' that are considered 'standard'.. and I really wonder why people are so concerned about it?

To really blow peoples minds, I'm gobsmacked that no-one has picked up on the fact in FM2 you can 'hire' a driver, set the AI to easy and you are pretty much guaranteed a win, you can do all SP career races in this manner, not ever actually doing any driving! :)

I do not think this vid has been posted.
Have a look at it in high res it is very good.
http://www.gamersyde.com/stream_11639_fr.html

The guy driving the car is pretty good and in the second half of the vid the speed and smoothness of the game is amazing.

The guy driving is actually largely AI.!!!

T10 for demoing the project seem to have the ability to do the ultimate one button driving, by letting AI take over when they want to, I've noticed this with a lot of their demo's, when they suddenly look up from the screen, and start 'panning' around the car whilst miraculously still following the suggested line..

I have to say that it look great (as does it's competition!), I think the problem is the annoying marketing rhetoric that is annoying! and if they would just let the game do the talking, without all the 'definitive' rubbish, there would be far less 'backlash' from the internetz..

Those 2 new pics are a little odd, and no doubt from some 'test' version they are messing with
1. The ride heights are so wrong, they are on stilts
2. The 'chrome' around the Astons windows is not chrome any more..

The other media shots of these cars is OK, so I guess this is just from some 'test' build or other..

Back
Top Bottom