***** The Official Galaxy Nexus Thread *****

I don't think storage will be a major issue. While it would be nice to have sd card slot, these phones support USB OTG so you COULD plug in a 1TB USB HDD for those times when you want to watch a movie or something on the train/bus journey etc?

I think the main reason for the storage omission is that Google is very soon fully launching their cloud services for music and videos, the videos side has already launched on the Market and Google Music is soon due. If you could store media on your Cloud space that would be excellent.

Really? Only really viable with blanket wifi, or massive data allowances and if you live in a city. I have no viable way to access cloud storage even at my house.

Not that strange, bringing out the 32gb model early would bump the 16gb price down a bit id imagine.

But yes it is rather odd of them.

As for cloud, well 3g is struggling with demand as it is, let alone having cloud up and running.

i agree, i'm a little disappointed i cant add storage, and rumour is the 32gb might not even come to the uk :(

i dont get samsung, they did the same with the 10.1 tab... but not the GS2... strange

I don't think storage will be a major issue. While it would be nice to have sd card slot, these phones support USB OTG so you COULD plug in a 1TB USB HDD for those times when you want to watch a movie or something on the train/bus journey etc?

I think the main reason for the storage omission is that Google is very soon fully launching their cloud services for music and videos, the videos side has already launched on the Market and Google Music is soon due. If you could store media on your Cloud space that would be excellent.

Does the USB interface provide enough power for a HDD?

Cloud services are great if you have unlimited downloads and 3G everywhere. Unfortunately that's not the case. :(

Carrying around an OTG cable and external storage device just to listen to my music is not at all appealing.

And the cloud is worthless for me as 3G coverage varies from poor to nonexistent in many of the places I'd be wanting to use it (including the area around my own home) :(

16GB would just be a massive step backwards.

yeah I agree, its not a deal breaker, but i would happily lay a bet that the SGS3 phone will come with a SD slot, i guess that is my main gripe.

Yeah there's no doubt the GS3 will come with one (and then some).

Nexus is more a showcase phone for ICS too remember. The video camera looks superb for one, notice the lack of autofocus issues like on the GSII? Samsung must have sorted that out :p

Yeah there's no doubt the GS3 will come with one (and then some).

Nexus is more a showcase phone for ICS too remember. The video camera looks superb for one, notice the lack of autofocus issues like on the GSII? Samsung must have sorted that out :p

indeed, and with the GS3 it will have some incarnation of ice cream, which *should* mean i can uninstall all there apps... but i reckon phone makers will find a way around that.

Sometimes i find it hard to justify getting the nexus over my s2, but i'm dead keen to see all the new features and like a change now and then!

They're not, but it's such a crap solution to a problem that shouldn't exist.

Internal micro SD card > external USB stick for the vast majority of people I should imagine. It's useful to have the option of using any USB drive but it's very important to me to have 32-48GB of memory on board.

I guess I'm not really bothered about it lol. my 8GB card has no content on it, in fact I only tend to use it as a makeshift USB stick when I CBA going to the car to grab a stick from the glovebox :p

16GB is bugger all these days, cloud services are great but good luck streaming anything even remotely demanding using 3G (or probably not even 3G, Edge). :p

Bare in mind with any decent cloud solution you should have the option to pin favourite content. So you may pin 4GB out of your 40GB of music so it is available when you have no signal

Same as mrk, I have some movies on my SD card, that I hardly even watch, sometimes put them on in the car to amuse people. I don't think I've ever had more than 1½gig of music on my phone and even with hundreds of photo's, they're only about a gig.

Maybe it's different, as I always seem to have an H connection at worse, and I do make use of the cloud... so I do understand, if you're not that lucky, it changes things.

Back
Top Bottom