***** The Official Galaxy Nexus Thread *****

I've not missed having an SD card on the Nexus S and I won't on this. The most I've used is about 10Gb for music and audio books. I've always got the cloud to fallback on.

32GB is the minimum space I woould accept on a device that has no external SD slot. When you think about music, maps for SatNav, movies etc then 16GB is eaten up very quickly.

Bare in mind with any decent cloud solution you should have the option to pin favourite content. So you may pin 4GB out of your 40GB of music so it is available when you have no signal

Thanks, but that's still a crap solution for me. Even ignoring the fact that it would result in the hassle and wasted time of always having to decide on and swap around which of the thousands of songs I want to take with me every time I leave the house, it still doesn't leave much room.

My two most commonly used apps alone will take up almost 4GB - that's just two apps. And I guess you can forget about recording much 1080p video at 170MB or so per minute.

Last edited:
Same as mrk, I have some movies on my SD card, that I hardly even watch, sometimes put them on in the car to amuse people. I don't think I've ever had more than 1½gig of music on my phone and even with hundreds of photo's, they're only about a gig.

Maybe it's different, as I always seem to have an H connection at worse, and I do make use of the cloud... so I do understand, if you're not that lucky, it changes things.

I travel a lot, and signal quality varies so much that the cloud is simply not a feasible alternative to a cheap SD card slot on a phone.

There are some thoughts on XDA about the GPU here which puts my mind at ease (I don't know anything about phone hardware). Still there is the lack of storage on the phone which is off putting for me. I think I will see what Vodafone offer me as I'm about to be out of contract.

^ I wouldn't worry about the GPU. It'll get similar fps to most phones like the Nexus S, Tegra 2 phones/tablets, HTC Sensation etc.

Only the SGS2 and iPhone 4S are significantly faster (possibly a highly clocked, dual channel S3 Snapdragon phone too)

Here'a a recent NenaMark2 benchmark result.

http://nena.se/nenamark/view?version=2&device_id=944

Also remember that Nenamark runs at native resolution and so whilst 24.3 is about the same as the average for the Nexus S

http://nena.se/nenamark/view?version=2&device_id=141

it is pushing (1196*720)/(800*480) pixels more.

So in terms of Android is this the phone to go for, or still the Galaxy II?

Hardware wise, the SGSII wins comfortably.

For software, this wins easily as it will have the latest bug-free version of Android without any hack/work arounds by third party developers like the cyanogenmod team.

So in terms of Android is this the phone to go for, or still the Galaxy II?

Tough question to answer.

+/- points for the Nexus against the Galaxy S II :

+
  • 720p HD screen
  • Stock Android, ICS and fast updates
  • Looks (and probably feels) better
  • NFC
-

• Limited to 16GB of storage
  • 5MP camera that is likely inferior to the Galaxy S II
  • 1080p video is probably inferior too
  • More expensive
  • Pentile screen could take away some of the 720p magic, but it's apparently good
  • Slower internal hardware overall, but still quite capable

I'd go for the Nexus.

Back
Top Bottom