***** The Official Galaxy Nexus Thread *****

Man of Honour
OP
Does it not even have MMI mode where it shows up as a "device" in windows instead of the classic USB mass storage mode?

Edit: I swear my tester did but as you saw earlier, testers don't look like the real thing :)

Yes it does,

galaxynexus17.jpg

galaxynexus16.jpg

Touch and gesture down on the usb icon at the top left.

Associate
ordered it through o2 retentions.

12 month contract
100 for the phone
51/month 900 min 1gb net unltd txts.

30% discount for 11 months, due to friends and family discount:

51*0.7 = 35.7 * 11 = 392.7 + 51 = 443.7 + 100 = 543.7.

plus at 6 months I can reduce the price by one to 600 mins if need be and drop to 500mb of data, saving me a bit. But I'm happy

jumping from a pre

this is tempting!, 12 months and i have F + F discount, was this easy deal to get? did you get it through retentions or did you go to upgrade first and say you want to leave etc? how did you get the phone for £100?

im currently on the original iphone simplicity tariff 900 mins true unlimited net ;) after discount paying 18quid a month, got this around iphone 3g times, i dont really want a 18/24 month contract..wouldnt mind paying the price quoted above for 12 months for the GN...

Associate
Awww....Apparently Vodafone are 'Testing' the nexus on the network. Last time, O2 delayed the Xperia play for the same reason for 2 months :(

Others say they are ******* about with custom firmware (Doubt it, but wouldn't be too suprised) :(:(

Associate
Awww....Apparently Vodafone are 'Testing' the nexus on the network. Last time, O2 delayed the Xperia play for the same reason for 2 months :(

Others say they are ******* about with custom firmware (Doubt it, but wouldn't be too suprised) :(:(

One of their "Tech team" has confirmed on the Voda e-forum that they will supply the Nexus with a Vodafone specific ROM. As you can imagine, this has not gone down too well with the more knowledgable customers....

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Well ICS allows you to uninstall bundled apps so unless Voda have blocked that ability then......problem?!

They can remove what they want because all Google apps are available on the Market anyway.

Soldato
One of their "Tech team" has confirmed on the Voda e-forum that they will supply the Nexus with a Vodafone specific ROM. As you can imagine, this has not gone down too well with the more knowledgable customers....

Totally defeats the purpose of a Nexus phone.... disappointing.

Soldato
Well ICS allows you to uninstall bundled apps so unless Voda have blocked that ability then......problem?!

They can remove what they want because all Google apps are available on the Market anyway.

Problem was never the apps they supply. They are actually useful and like you said, if seeing them burns your eyes that much, you can remove them.

The issue is that the ROM becomes a Vodafone ROM and it becomes up to them to provide updates.

Associate

I think the biggest problem is that everytime there is an update from Google, Vodafone will have to hack about with it before releasing it to their devices. They have been pretty slow in the past with releasing updates for other devices......

Associate

Yes.

Problem was never the apps they supply. They are actually useful and like you said, if seeing them burns your eyes that much, you can remove them.

The issue is that the ROM becomes a Vodafone ROM and it becomes up to them to provide updates.

This.

Granted, I'll root anyway, but I'd rather have a FULLY stock nexus. Its what the Dev phones are about

Soldato
so only sim free roms have non-branded firmwares, and a voda nexus for example, will have a voda firmware, meaning updates only from voda? how is this different from a galaxy s2?

eh? the nexus shouldn't have branded firmwares, it should be pure google.

Associate
Anyone in Northern Ireland manage to get one from a store yet?

I am also changing off O2 onto either VF or Orange, anyone able to tell me what the real coverage is like around Belfast & surrounding area on these 2 networks?

Associate
Firstly, I see people talking about cash back on contracts? how?

Next up, GiffGaff. They use o2 network so I should be able to put my GG sim into a o2 phone no questions, I know it worked in my iPhone. I love GiffGaff, free unlimited internet that is really unlimited and now tethering. What's not to like for £10 per month? My contract is up with o2 now I need to figure out how much I can get a GNex for out of contract and do the math........Currently paying £37 on my old contract.......

Also, where will have the first Pay Go option to buy this phone? CPW? P4U? Or direct from o2?

Either way, if anyone wants a GiffGaff sim and wants to give both themselves and me £5 free credit, hit the link:

https://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/jeepo
Ordered a SIM, I'll activate it when it arrives. Thanks for the offer.

I'm going from a stupidly priced O2 contract to GiffGaff pay as you go and buying the phone outright and I'll save money right away.

Soldato
lolvodaphone. When will carriers realise customers don't want their crap..?

It's like all OEMs loading junkware onto peoples shiny new laptops, meaning you have to spend a day formatting and reinstalling Windows to make it run smoothly. Makes you wonder why macbook sales have increased over the past few years :rolleyes:

Soldato
How have people found the phone in terms of putting it your pocket and walking around etc? Any issues with the larger size?

(I currently have an HTC magic which is 2.3 inches I think, so Nexus would be a big jump :p)

Back
Top Bottom