*** The Official Google Nexus 7 Thread ***

if there was an sd-slot you would be forced to pay through the nose for additional storage is his point.

Assuming you meant to say wouldn't, yes, this. The iPhone is the extreme. Isn't the RRP difference between the 32GB and 64GB version £100? £100 extra for a few more bits of flash memory! And Apple know this, but they charge that because they can.

A 32GB version of the Nexus 7 coming out later also pretty much confirms that Google know that 16GBs isn't enough, which is a bit cheaky.

In a perfect world there would be 1 version of each device (spec wise, colours are different), and it would have an SD card slot. Limiting you to internal storage only and then charging more for higher capacity is just about profit making. I'm not saying companies should have a moral compass, they wont, I'm just saying it annoys the hell out of me that this has now become acceptable.

Last edited:
Had a bit of a scare with the ole Nexus last night, the battery finally gave up the ghost after 7 days (I'd been topping it up).... ohhhh and does anyone else's Nexus power off when it gets to 14% battery or just me ?

Anyway....

I plugged it in..... charged it for a couple of minutes...... turned it back on....... then while still using it and plugged in, the screen did what I can only describe as do a mixture of going corrupt while showing something like TV static...... then it turned itself off again.

It did that twice.

Anyway, I decided to let it go back to 100% before using it again and it hasn't happened again yet !! Anyone else see that ? :(

Had a bit of a scare with the ole Nexus last night, the battery finally gave up the ghost after 7 days (I'd been topping it up).... ohhhh and does anyone else's Nexus power off when it gets to 14% battery or just me ?

Anyway....

I plugged it in..... charged it for a couple of minutes...... turned it back on....... then while still using it and plugged in, the screen did what I can only describe as do a mixture of going corrupt while showing something like TV static...... then it turned itself off again.

It did that twice.

Anyway, I decided to let it go back to 100% before using it again and it hasn't happened again yet !! Anyone else see that ? :(

Sounds weird. Maybe just a one off. In answer to your first point, no, it shouldn't power off at below 14%. If it continues to do that, it's faulty and should be RMA'd.

Anyway....

It did that twice.

I've not had none of the battery issues but I've had the static like issue

I was playing a game, screen went all orange then black, it then looked like the home screen but all staticy like a old tv was about to find a tv channel.

It switched its self off then back on and did the same

When i turned it off then back on it was fine and has been for two days now.

I had that funny static thing when I ran my battery down completely. It wouldn't turn on and would just show that static screen thing. I charged it over night and then held the power button for about 30 seconds and started fine and hasn't been any trouble since. I haven't ever run down to completely flat since though.

I would suggest it is you two that missed my point. You have to price on memory size. The model is correct, the actual pricing and lack of SD slot is a different matter.

This is the point you are missing. Why do you have to price on memory size?

Nobody has to, they just are because they can. Because by removing expandable storage you are tied to the internal space pricing strategy.

The only difference between the version of many devices out there now is the space available, and we are paying through the nose for it. Storage used to be something under the control of the customer and was therefore negligable in terms of defining price, meaning far more important things like spec would define the price of a product.

Unless your telling me that paying £50 extra per 16GBs of space in a device is a good deal? :confused:

Its a rip off, but a rip off we can do nothing about as they have removed the SD slots.

Last edited:
Vote with your wallets. If you don't buy the kit with no sd slots they will release kit with sd slots. There is little use in lining their pockets and then complaining it's unfair/greedy.

Sorry but while I agree that the no sd slot approach is clearly a greed/profit based policy, you are telling them you are happy with it buy buying the products I'm afraid.

We can do something about it, but not by buying the hobbled kit.

This may be a stupid question, if it is, please forgive me.

Just got a GS3.....can I use that as external storage? If I was to put a 64 gig micro SD in there could I use that as storage and connect to two over blue tooth/cable to access movies/music etc

This may be a stupid question, if it is, please forgive me.

Just got a GS3.....can I use that as external storage? If I was to put a 64 gig micro SD in there could I use that as storage and connect to two over blue tooth/cable to access movies/music etc

Don't think you can do that. Could be wrong. Would be good.

I think you would have to keep deleting files then transferring the one you want when you want it

Nobody has to, they just are because they can. Because by removing expandable storage you are tied to the internal space pricing strategy.

I'll say it once more. Pricing by memory size is the right thing to do. It happens everywhere. You pay more for a PC or laptop with more memory... why not a tablet?

If your upset at them being too expensive or not having an SD slot, that's a different issue.

vote with your wallet lol...

Tell that to the people buying all this stuff by the truckload.

I'm pretty sure the lack of SD slot is more down to total component cost, the mental swings in the price of flash memory, the removal of the requirement to ensure compatibility across different card manufacturers etc. Its nothing particularly sinister.

Plus the move whether we like it or not is towards the cloud, I think the functionality is hobbled at present but it is what it is. I expect DRM and a simple marketing message is also mixed in there somewhere but saying don't buy it that'll teach em will just lead to you not having nice things.

vote with your wallet lol...

Tell that to the people buying all this stuff by the truckload.

I'm pretty sure the lack of SD slot is more down to total component cost, the mental swings in the price of flash memory, the removal of the requirement to ensure compatibility across different card manufacturers etc. Its nothing particularly sinister.

Plus the move whether we like it or not is towards the cloud, I think the functionality is hobbled at present but it is what it is. I expect DRM and a simple marketing message is also mixed in there somewhere but saying don't buy it that'll teach em will just lead to you not having nice things.

I wouldn't care, if we had google music, full version of books etc. The UK is hobbled by the lack of talking/agreements between Google and right holders.

I'll say it once more. Pricing by memory size is the right thing to do. It happens everywhere. You pay more for a PC or laptop with more memory... why not a tablet?

The cost of a PC or laptop with more HDD space or memory is increased by the cost of those components (ish, theres always profit).

But £50 for 16GBs? Or in the case of the Nexus 7, £40 for 8GBs! Thats just pure profit. Is the 64GB version of the iPhone £150 better than the 16GB version? Such wild price variances based solely on what boils down to extremely cheap flash memory chips is just ridiculous, yet its become the norm and is now just accepted?

And as for the whole "vote with your wallet" thing, how does that work when everyone is doing it? They won't loose a sale to a competitor because the competitors are just as bad. What top line phones/tablets are there that still have expandable storage? Is it just Samsung who have it?

I haven't bought one of these because of the lack of sd card slot and because you can't charge it at the same time as using external storage, unfortunately google have so far not noticed me...

Think i made up my mind. Getting the girls two Tab'2s for xmas. With all the reported problems with the n7. Also seen in a few places the tab 2 is better at watching movies.

Back
Top Bottom