**** The Official Google Pixel 2/Pixel 2 XL Thread ****

Soldato
As crazy as this sounds, so please don't shout at me, but is anyone using a flip case?

@MrRockliffe , which protector is this, that you're finding the reflectivity too high on?

MoKo Pixel 2 XL

7.99 I think

I've only had it on for just over a day, so not a full review by any means. But my other one had already gone horrible at this point.

To be honest, I think I'd go for a film one over glass.

Having used the phone without a screen protector for a couple of days, it's quite a different experience. The screen is great in sunlight, but all the screen protectors I've tried have degraded touch sensitivity somewhat and made it quite reflective.

Associate
Well the 2 XL is available from mobiles.co.uk for £29 a month on O2 with 12gb data as has been mentioned before with £175 up front. You'll not see a deal better than that for a good while IMO.

I'm tempted with that offer.

I have however found out I can get an iPhone 8 64Gb for £8 a month through work, so the sensible side of me thinks I should do that. Problem is, I'm now used to big screens, and generally, I just prefer Android.

I also wonder, will it be a worthwhile upgrade on my S7 Edge? I mean it's still a pretty decent phone; anyone gone from a Samsung to one of these? I recently got a Pixel C tablet, which I like, but I have to admit, its not quite as fast as I thought it would be for having Vanilla Android on it...

Associate
I wonder if anyone can help me with trying to get some form of control over the Google Feed/Cards that appear when I swipe right.

I've tried to restrict what it shows me as much as possible, ideally at this stage I'm only interested in stories from BBC, but I'm failing.

I've resorted to using the three dots in the top right hand corner to select the "Not interested in stories from {Source}" of which some of the sources are rather wide spread, as an example I have a story from "newsdzezimbabwe.co.uk" which I don't want to see.

My question is, is there a quick way to turn off all sources and then just add the ones I do want?

I've hand a look a few times and tried, but I'm not getting the results I want.

Thanks

Associate
Well I couldn't hold out any longer, I've stuck an order in for that one on the O2 network. As said, can't see it getting much better than that any time soon. If you score with the cash back then thats the equivalent of £2.50 a month for the service which includes 12Gb. Doesn't seem to make much sense buying stuff like this outright these days?

V_R

V_R

Soldato
FYI people looking for a screen protector....

https://www.reddit.com/r/GooglePixe...d_an_amazing_pixel_2_xl_screen_protector_for/

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/FULL-SCREE...k%2Fitm%2F192371190734&rvr_id=0&ul_noapp=true

It's not glass, but it's not thick TPU either. It's a very thin flexible material that moulds onto the curves of the screen absolutely perfectly, and isn't resistive to the touch like a lot of tpu protectors. The best part is true 100% coverage though! For £1.79 I'd highly recommend it, at least until a suitable glass option comes along.

Edit: Just to clarify, I do actually have one of these on my pixel 2 XL now, it arrived this morning.

Soldato
Associate
O2 themselves don't do the Pixel 2 do they? I'm halfway through a 12 month Pay Monthly SIM deal so I think I could start up a new deal with O2 directly but I couldn't leave O2 and go with Mobiles.co.uk without paying off the rest of my contract which makes it all kind of pointless.

Man of Honour
Awesome - ordered it as it's cheap enough if it isn't rubbish.

The more I'm using the glass one I got, the more I like it. Except for the reflectivity still. Then again, battery life on the XL 2 is insanely good. I'm on 83% since 8 AM

1 hr 42 min screen on time so far. Web browsing.
I've got the normal pixel 2 and the battery life has really surprised me coming from a moto x force with a much bigger battery and this is laughing at it, I was worried it would be worse!

Permabanned
OP
Google Lens (the visual search feature) now built into my Pixel's Google Assistant. Hope you have received the update.

So when I squeeze the Pixel 2 XL or say "Ok Google", the Google Lens icon appears on the bottom right of the screen allowing me to access Lens easily. Until now, I have only been able to access Lens via Google Photos.

I have been using it around London today and it works well in identifying buildings/landmarks.

Soldato
I'm still very tempted by the smaller Pixel 2. My Xperia X works just fine, but the constant app reloads are starting to do my head in.

The Pixel 2 only has 1GB more RAM than the Xperia X so I'm nervous about dropping that much dosh on it. Would anyone mind confirming that apps like Chrome/Samsung Internet and YouTube don't reload almost every time you switch between them and another app? I haven't been able to find a Pixel 2 demo unit that's been connected to the Internet to try this for myself.

Associate
My Galaxy S7 Edge with 4Gb of RAM doesn't seem to have a problem with that, so in theory, this should be at least as good without all the bloatware. I think people are mistaken if they feel that they need more than that on a phone.

Soldato
As above, I wouldn't worry so much about RAM with stock Android. Having used both the 2XL and a Note 8, which has 6gb, the 4gb 2XL is still snappier IMO.
RAM is more to to do with keeping apps in memory than speed all things being equal.

For this price it should have had 6GB, as to stay relevant with 3 years of sw updates.

Soldato
RAM is more to to do with keeping apps in memory than speed all things being equal.

For this price it should have had 6GB, as to stay relevant with 3 years of sw updates.
But surely the less RAM that's used from the outset by system apps etc then the more that's available for its job of keeping tabs and apps in memory?
Stock android uses a good deal less as a base than Samsung.

Soldato
I'm still very tempted by the smaller Pixel 2. My Xperia X works just fine, but the constant app reloads are starting to do my head in.

The Pixel 2 only has 1GB more RAM than the Xperia X so I'm nervous about dropping that much dosh on it. Would anyone mind confirming that apps like Chrome/Samsung Internet and YouTube don't reload almost every time you switch between them and another app? I haven't been able to find a Pixel 2 demo unit that's been connected to the Internet to try this for myself.

I haven't found that to be the case. It seems Google implement a similar app pausing to iOS for the pixels. I've noticed a similar resuming when opening apps.

Definitely happens less than on iOS, which most consider good for app reloading.

Associate
I'm running an Xperia XZ as my daily while I wait for my replacement P2XL, I rarely notice apps being pushed out of memory and having to reload, and it gets by with 3GB RAM!
This was on 7.1.1, now on 8.0, and the story is the same on both. Sony does ride very close to stock though

Back
Top Bottom