**** The Official Google Pixel 2/Pixel 2 XL Thread ****

Had the Pixel 2 64gb about 2 hours. Seems better than my Pixel 128gb in almost every way. Particularly liking the screen, the original pixel was over saturated and looked a bit off if I tried to mute it with RGB mode.

Two problems I've noticed so far though.
1) It squeals really loudly in phonecalls! I've read there should be a software fix for this at some point.
2) Completely lost signal three times during a twenty minute phonecall in an area where I've had full bars of 4G.. unsure if this is the phone or the network today (3) but don't remember experiencing it before. (On a related note only getting 3/4 bars indoors, when had full on Pixel 1 and Nexus 5x).

It's also used 40% battery for 50 mins SoT, but that's probably from all the setting up.

The whine will be fixed yes. Not had any call issues myself on my 2XL on EE.

Here's a write up of the DP2 fixes. Looking good.

There was a lot to check out here and I wanted to answer a lot of questions that many of us have about the 8.1 DP2. Here's what I found out:

Audio Quality is fixed when recording video. I tested this with a fan and it's a huge difference.
The mic used to record audio is no longer the bottom front speaker but now the top edge speaker (the tiny hole along the bezel).
External mics still do not work on the stock video app. This stinks.
The Unresponsive Edge issue is gone. I dare say it seems perfect.
Saturation mode is added, but other modes are not calibrated. Reds on natural and boosted still look awful and "dried blood red."
The Camera HDR+ HAL may result in the following: double-click on the power button to launch is faster, the speed of taking a picture will sometimes be the same speed as pre-update, but more often than not, noticeably faster.
Black crush is still present and gets worse the more you decrease the brightness.
Using the mic from a Bluetooth device now works with the Google Assistant.
With that, asking the Assistant to translate for you launches the app, but when you talked to it, it just translates and speaks back into your Bluetooth device rather than out of your phone and vice versa. The Pixel Buds translation interaction is an exclusive feature.
Navbar shows up as white more often and fades out to prevent burn-in.

Check out the video of the tests, how to enable certain things, and a weird thing I noticed between the Black & White version and the Just Black version: https://youtu.be/vAs1NH_GNhY

PS: Thank you /u/lakerzz /u/mixplate /u/GameShowKid /u/rigamix for giving me some things to check out.

I knew working on the video tonight would mean it will be a late night. I still haven't gone to bed yet and I have to be at work in three hours. I'm going to need a lot of coffee...ZZzzzZZzzz

https://www.reddit.com/r/googlepixel/comments/7g3vut

Looks like it's gashed Android Pay on my P2... I know "beta" etc., so my own fault for using on a live phone, but it wouldn't auth a payment this morning and I had to use physical card instead.

Gonna try again later when domestic duties require a shopping run.

In the best Apple fan fashion though, Safari definitely feels snappier on this build ;-)

So number port finally complete by 4pm today, home now and got my online account set up. I notice that the Tariff is actually 3gb data with a 9gb Bolt On as opposed to a straight up 12gb Tariff. Is it a case that this bolt on automatically kicks in when the 3gb is exceeded? I've not been with O2 for 15 months so I'm not sure how this actually works.

Like I said mine was well over 24 hours before them sending the you've passed the checks email. I think they've just got a bit of a backlog as they're offering some good deals.
Yeah I just got the confirmation email just now :)

Lets hope I get lucky in the screen / bug lottery now haha

Ordered my Pixel 2 today. Gonna sell my S7. Hoping it's good! :)

I'm currently on an S7 Edge. It's been a good phone to be fair. I must admit though, I do miss the lean, unbloated, and responsive nature of a vanilla android device, not to mention the update situation is generally better. As long as the screen is around about as good as the S7 Edge and everything else is better, then I think I'll be happy with that. I'm looking forward to seeing the camera, especially considering when I put one of my S7 pictures on my big PC monitor the other day, it was surprisingly mediocre! I always considered it to have a good camera. It IS a shame it doesn't have wireless charging though.

Tripped down stairs and smashed my Le Max 2 today, on the day my sim contract ends!

Ordered a P2, and its coming tomo :) £42.99/month 15gb, unlim calls/text. Sucks going from 1440p 5.7inch to a measly 1080p 5inch but I think I will eventually prefer the practicality of the smaller size

I didn't realise, the new camera chip has to be turned on in the latest 8.1 Beta => 'Developer Options' -> 'Camera HAL HDR+'
Indeed. Although to be clear it seems, at least for now, that this just means apps (snapchat for example) that use their own built in camera will see improvements, it won't mean regular photos get even better. At least that is what I've read.

In other news, 8.1 final beta is out and it activates an 'early version' of the Pixel Visual Core.

https://www.androidcentral.com/andr...eleased?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Also as I posted this earlier too....

There was a lot to check out here and I wanted to answer a lot of questions that many of us have about the 8.1 DP2. Here's what I found out:

Audio Quality is fixed when recording video. I tested this with a fan and it's a huge difference.
The mic used to record audio is no longer the bottom front speaker but now the top edge speaker (the tiny hole along the bezel).
External mics still do not work on the stock video app. This stinks.
The Unresponsive Edge issue is gone. I dare say it seems perfect.
Saturation mode is added, but other modes are not calibrated. Reds on natural and boosted still look awful and "dried blood red."
The Camera HDR+ HAL may result in the following: double-click on the power button to launch is faster, the speed of taking a picture will sometimes be the same speed as pre-update, but more often than not, noticeably faster.
Black crush is still present and gets worse the more you decrease the brightness.
Using the mic from a Bluetooth device now works with the Google Assistant.
With that, asking the Assistant to translate for you launches the app, but when you talked to it, it just translates and speaks back into your Bluetooth device rather than out of your phone and vice versa. The Pixel Buds translation interaction is an exclusive feature.
Navbar shows up as white more often and fades out to prevent burn-in.

Check out the video of the tests, how to enable certain things, and a weird thing I noticed between the Black & White version and the Just Black version: https://youtu.be/vAs1NH_GNhY

PS: Thank you /u/lakerzz /u/mixplate /u/GameShowKid /u/rigamix for giving me some things to check out.

I knew working on the video tonight would mean it will be a late night. I still haven't gone to bed yet and I have to be at work in three hours. I'm going to need a lot of coffee...ZZzzzZZzzz

https://www.reddit.com/r/googlepixel/comments/7g3vut

and a video too...

Last edited:
So number port finally complete by 4pm today, home now and got my online account set up. I notice that the Tariff is actually 3gb data with a 9gb Bolt On as opposed to a straight up 12gb Tariff. Is it a case that this bolt on automatically kicks in when the 3gb is exceeded? I've not been with O2 for 15 months so I'm not sure how this actually works.

The gf signed up to what seems to be this tarriff a few weeks ago, on an Xperia XZ1C. She actually got a text saying "you've nearly used all your data", despite only using around 3gb, and when she rung o2 they said something about the 9GB kicking in after the 3GB is used up. So I think you're right.

Back
Top Bottom