**** The Official Google Pixel 2/Pixel 2 XL Thread ****

Soldato
Interesting. Does Google photos work on iPhones and does it work in the same way on an android phone ( as in take photo and it's immediately available to view via chrome on a PC/Mac etc)?
If so that is indeed a curve ball!

Yes, just tried it

I can't speak for all the gApps on iOS, but I can confirm the music app is somewhat broken on iOS - the search does not find my music a lot of the time. Performing an identical search on my S7 always finds the tracks that I want.

I also find gMaps on iOS a poorer equivalent than its Android counterpart.

That said the photos app seems fine so far.

Yet Allo works better on ios than android

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
Those mentioning processor speeds versus the new iPhone CPU what are your references ? Just benchmarks or are apps and games performing better ?

My oneplus 3 is still as snappy and lag free as it was a year ago. Doesn't seem to be any new CPU intensive apps/games that test it

Have been interested in the pixel 2 like I was the iPhone but I can't justify the price just for a big camera upgrade . Hopefully get another year out of this :p

Can people not see the gap in the market for a mid range CPU and a top of the range camera :(

The A11 shines in intensive tasks like video editing, loading big games and running AR. In your average apps like YouTube and browser there's hardly any difference. Still, it's always good to have headroom for the future.

Soldato
remember the £50 free home mini
Yes, so £399 vs £629 + £49 of free gift... but you wouldn't be able to sell it for £49

Still a £200 difference between the Original XL and the new Pixel 2 non-XL.

Think I am leaning towards the original, especially as it's only the new 2 XL which has the good looks!

Permabanned
OP
So if you have your phone sitting charging beside your home mini and summon the ok Google genie, which device answers??

To be clear, Home overrides the phone when you give it a voice instruction. Google Assistant detects the presence of Home and cedes control to it.

Soldato
Interesting. Does Google photos work on iPhones and does it work in the same way on an android phone ( as in take photo and it's immediately available to view via chrome on a PC/Mac etc)?
If so that is indeed a curve ball!

iirc Google Photos on the iPhone can't run in the background like it does on Android. So for it to back up photos it has to be opened every few days. I might be wrong though.

No Sdcard slot or wireless charging! The S8 sounds fantastic now :)

I've got an S8 and I'm eyeing the Pixel 2 XL. Not necessarily because I dislike the S8 - I think it's the best phone Samsung have ever made, but the Pixel probably has a cleaner software layer and a better camera. Still, different people will be keener on different things. The Pixel 2 probably isn't as competitive as it could be, but Google hates SD cards and wireless charging these days.

Permabanned
OP
I expect this has been mentioned before but I found out one or two things today:

1. Last night I was given an estimated delivery date by the Google Store for my Pixel 2 XL Panda of 12-14 December, even though the official launch date is 19 November. Hence I visited Carphone Warehouse and after receiving an estimated delivery date of 20 November, I cancelled my Store Panda order and switched it to CW. I have not dealt with CW in years and wonder how reliable they are for this SIM free order with free home delivery? Anyone find them to be reliable on such delivery dates? I did not ask but expect that unlike the Store, they will charge my card up front rather than when the phone is dispatched? But the 3 week delivery date improvement, in theory, was too good to pass up.

2. CW told me to expect a separate delivery of the GH Mini at home within 2 weeks of receiving my Panda. There are no vouchers, etc to redeem. It just happens.

3. Google Clip camera does not have a firm delivery date yet in the UK, only the US.

4. Google Lens was available for me to see and play with on their store only Pixel 2. Identified a flower from a picture I had recently taken on my Pixel XL. Did not have a chance to play with its AR capabilities, but will do so soon.

Soldato
I wouldn't trust CPW on delivery dates personally. I may be wrong but I think they usually just slap whatever the release date of the phone is on the website and then tell you later about any delays. Also, the CPW warranty support is not as good as ordering direct from Google I believe.

Soldato
Have to admit after watching the apple keynote and seeing the iphone x advert, then watching googles and taking an interest into where googles AI and machine learning is heading.....I kinda started to feel a bit sorry for Microsoft.

They seem to be that little kid stood outside your window in the freezing cold.

Associate
Has anyone ordered the smaller Pixel 2? For some reason am being drawn to it partly due to availability and also the size. Just want a phone with decent camera and video to snap the kids. Otherwise all phones fast enough for day to day tasks.

Other phones on the short list are the iPhone 8 and if going larger the iP8+ or LG V30.

Far too many options these days but as I said just want it for camera, video, mail and general browsing.

Soldato
iirc Google Photos on the iPhone can't run in the background like it does on Android. So for it to back up photos it has to be opened every few days. I might be wrong though.

You're correct, like with most apps on iOS. It's the biggest killer for me. Especially when you open Spotify in offline mode, only to notice it hasn't downloaded all of the updates to the playlists you follow, so you can't listen to music for your train journey :mad:

Associate
You're correct, like with most apps on iOS. It's the biggest killer for me. Especially when you open Spotify in offline mode, only to notice it hasn't downloaded all of the updates to the playlists you follow, so you can't listen to music for your train journey :mad:

I didn't realise iOS did this. Its one thing I hated about WP8 and why I ended up getting rid of it. I always thought iOS could 'selectively' multitask.

Soldato
I've got an S8 and I'm eyeing the Pixel 2 XL. Not necessarily because I dislike the S8 - I think it's the best phone Samsung have ever made, but the Pixel probably has a cleaner software layer and a better camera. Still, different people will be keener on different things. The Pixel 2 probably isn't as competitive as it could be, but Google hates SD cards and wireless charging these days.

Install the Oreo theme, much more cleaner layout :)

Associate
Has anyone ordered the smaller Pixel 2? For some reason am being drawn to it partly due to availability and also the size. Just want a phone with decent camera and video to snap the kids. Otherwise all phones fast enough for day to day tasks.

Other phones on the short list are the iPhone 8 and if going larger the iP8+ or LG V30.

Far too many options these days but as I said just want it for camera, video, mail and general browsing.

I might try and pick one up towards the end of the month (after payday). I'm sure if its sold out on playstore CPWH will have it. Bought two of my previous nexus phones from them without any issues (including a boot looping 5x repair).

Permabanned
OP
I might try and pick one up towards the end of the month (after payday). I'm sure if its sold out on playstore CPWH will have it. Bought two of my previous nexus phones from them without any issues (including a boot looping 5x repair).

Glad to hear about your CPWH experience as I mentioned earlier today that I cancelled my Google store Panda XL (ie, Pixel 2 XL black and white) order with a 12-14 December estimated delivery date when I found today at the CPWH store that they estimated a 20 November estimated delivery date. As you know, the XLs official launch date in the UK is 19 November. I was unsure of CPWH reputation as all my previous SIM free purchases for Nexus and Pixel have been through the PlayStore.

I figure the estimated delivery date has a good chance as Google will be keen to supply its partners here with physical product on launch day when people walk in to their stores. CPWH also said that their pre-orders get priority even over store deliveries. Sure hope that is true.

Back
Top Bottom