**** The Official Google Pixel 3 Thread ****

Soldato
For videos I'm not sure you gain anything from 3 to xl. For instance watching a YouTube video now. I have black space to the right and left of the video that's unused. With the notch will be the exact same video size as what I have atm. On the 3 I assume the black space isn't there due to the better aspect ratio. Someone must have done a comparison

I'm assuming when you disable the notch its still 6" vs 5.5". Is it me or are people over complicating things.

Soldato
Pretty much bang on for me. I also don't see the re-sale being that great and phone size is very big for something with a 6" screen.

Personally I don't believe the resale value being lower due to the notch theory. There were plenty unhappy with the bezels on the first and the 'blue screen' on the second. The notch is really no different. Also, hiding the notch just puts it the same screen to body ration as the regular 3.

Associate
Good review although my main issue with it is that the vast majority of people get their phones subsidised so hammering that you could get "insert other phone here" for cheaper isn't really effective. That's why £1000 phones are allowed to be a thing.

Soldato
They do? How? Thought that died out years ago

Think he means they reduce the cost of the sim part of the contract making it more appealing over buying the phone + sim only....plus it's basically 0% credit for 2 years

o2 for example are doing 50gb for £12 a month, couldn't find a sim only for that

Soldato
I think the camera is a bit of a disappointment in the 3 and not much different to the camera in the 2.

Quite a few YouTubers have done iPhone XS/ P3XL camera comparisons and the only area I see the P3XL coming out on top is the front facing camera, everything else the iPhone XS takes better shots. A bit disappointing for the Android camp but will be interesting to see how the Mate 20 pro fares.

Soldato
I'm glad they sorted out the display issues.

http://www.displaymate.com/Pixel_3XL_ShootOut_1g.htm

My 2 XL is going back to EE after numerous issues, including charging, speaker clicking, being sent broken phones as replacement by Google etc

I wasn't considering the new Pixel due to the issues I had with my 2 XL, but I suspect it's likely because the OEM was LG, who don't have a great track record...

Are the new ones manufactured by HTC?

Soldato
I think the camera is a bit of a disappointment in the 3 and not much different to the camera in the 2.

Quite a few YouTubers have done iPhone XS/ P3XL camera comparisons and the only area I see the P3XL coming out on top is the front facing camera, everything else the iPhone XS takes better shots. A bit disappointing for the Android camp but will be interesting to see how the Mate 20 pro fares.

I personally prefered the slightly over saturated, and deeper contrast of the Pixel 3. The XS seemed a bit too bright for me.

Video and mic quality is its weakness though, and there isn't really any excuses at this price point.

Soldato
I'm glad they sorted out the display issues.

http://www.displaymate.com/Pixel_3XL_ShootOut_1g.htm

My 2 XL is going back to EE after numerous issues, including charging, speaker clicking, being sent broken phones as replacement by Google etc

I wasn't considering the new Pixel due to the issues I had with my 2 XL, but I suspect it's likely because the OEM was LG, who don't have a great track record...

Are the new ones manufactured by HTC?
They are both manufactured by LG as far as I know.
Also, HTC didn't make the screen for the Pixel 2, Samsung did. HTC built the handset itself.

Soldato
I didn't say they did?
Quite right. As I say I'm fairly sure LG did the 3 and 3XL. It's testament to how far they've come. The reviews of their own V40 have been positive with regards to the screen.
I am waiting for my local CPW to have the Pixel on display so I can compare the screens. I genuinely think my 2XL is alright, the blue shift is no worse than I noticed on any other phone but curious to see if the 3 is a genuine upgrade.

Soldato
great news. keep us updated
keep us in the loop about this case. I'm interested. Having second thought on googles fabric one now.

Will do :) I'm going to give them until Monday and then I'll harass them some more.
Currently I have a midnight fabric one for my 2XL, it was great to begin with but now it's quite manky and the G logo has fallen off. It adds quite a bit of bulk as well. These bare cases seem to eliminate all that though.

Associate

I kinda agree although i think i would still take a pixel 3 for my photos if I had the choice. I am dissapointed by the video recording and mic though that looks terrible tbh low res and blurry compared to iphone and samsung.

Seeing as I record a lot of guitar videos this was something I was hoping would atleast be on par with the competition now i feel i am pushed to either go for the xs max or note 9 but I have a note 8 and the 9 isnt much of an update. And im not a massive fan of ios grr...

Soldato
Quite right. As I say I'm fairly sure LG did the 3 and 3XL. It's testament to how far they've come. The reviews of their own V40 have been positive with regards to the screen.
I am waiting for my local CPW to have the Pixel on display so I can compare the screens. I genuinely think my 2XL is alright, the blue shift is no worse than I noticed on any other phone but curious to see if the 3 is a genuine upgrade.

Looks like the XS displays are built by LG too, and a fair few reports suggest the Pixel 3 is using the same source as the iPhone for displays, so I think you may be right.

I don't care who makes the display - as long as it's good.

For me, the OLED display on the Pixel 2 XL is great in the day, but in any other conditions, I'd rather swap it for an LCD. Some serious issues with black crush and smearing that stops me watching videos at night.

Soldato
I kinda agree although i think i would still take a pixel 3 for my photos if I had the choice. I am dissapointed by the video recording and mic though that looks terrible tbh low res and blurry compared to iphone and samsung.

Seeing as I record a lot of guitar videos this was something I was hoping would atleast be on par with the competition now i feel i am pushed to either go for the xs max or note 9 but I have a note 8 and the 9 isnt much of an update. And im not a massive fan of ios grr...

The Pixel 3's camera seems to offer slightly better dynamic range, and images are a little sharper (possibly due to their new Super Res Zoom or perhaps post processing), but other than that, they look quite similar.

I think that says more about the Pixel 2 series than anything.

Hopefully they've fixed the white balance issues with the Pixel 2 - indoors it'll get it wrong the majority of the time. The S8 I have handles colour much better in this regard, but is a long way behind in every other.

Soldato

We must be looking at different reviews as the pixel 3 camera (for stills) produces the better images to me and look less saturated than the XS.
Video does appear poor though in comparison.

Back
Top Bottom