***The Official Guitar Thread***

Soldato
I know it's 2024 :p and there's 6yr olds shredding stuff I couldn't touch but this showed up on Youtube and I'm impressed with the cleanliness on that acoustic

Man of Honour
Something has just cropped up and I don't think I've shared this before.
My Dad was my biggest inspiration guitar wise and I was playing in bands with him from the age of 12 but just before my Mum died I found out some horrible stuff about him.
My Mum said that when they bought their first house in 1960 for £200 she found out a few months later it was all in her name when they got into trouble however that wasn't the best bit.
The same week they bought a house for £200 he paid £120 for a Fender Stratocaster :eek:
That doesn't make sense. two Fender Strats for a terraced house plus fittings.

Soldato
Something has just cropped up and I don't think I've shared this before.
My Dad was my biggest inspiration guitar wise and I was playing in bands with him from the age of 12 but just before my Mum died I found out some horrible stuff about him.
My Mum said that when they bought their first house in 1960 for £200 she found out a few months later it was all in her name when they got into trouble however that wasn't the best bit.
The same week they bought a house for £200 he paid £120 for a Fender Stratocaster :eek:
That doesn't make sense. two Fender Strats for a terraced house plus fittings.
Google suggests a Strat in 1962 was about $260 so seems legit. £200 for the house seems very cheap though - average price was closer to £2k.

Man of Honour
Google suggests a Strat in 1962 was about $260 so seems legit. £200 for the house seems very cheap though - average price was closer to £2k.

It was a very run down terrace in a really rough area of Stoke. We had an outside toilet, a tin bath on the wall and one fireplace.
It was definitely £200 and eight years later they got £800.
In 1968 our bungalow was £3000 with an inside toilet and bathroom.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I know in terms of inflation, a new guitar back in 1959 cost about the same as it is now.

A new Gibson Les Paul was $250, let's say £250 too for simplicity. and that is almost £5k now in today's money....and looking online, a new top for the line custom shop one is about £5k. Discounting the USA one as they are less accurate spec, spec for spec wise.

A Strat was designed to be produced and sold for less than a Gibson with its bolt on neck, so £120 sounds about right.

What isn't right is how house prices have gone INSANE!!!! Even £5000 in 1959 is only equate to £100k today, I suspect that £5000 house back then would be worth £500k+ now.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I've never tried A PRS when guitar shopping, despite having the money and I usually walk out with a Gibson or Fender of similar value.

I went back today and went straight to the Gibson Les Paul's and SGs.
I had it in my head if I didn't have a PRS I'd have a Jackson Soloist then realised I'm 66.
I have al the guitars I need to be honest.

Soldato
I went back today and went straight to the Gibson Les Pauls and SGs.
I had it in my head that if I didn't have a PRS I'd have a Jackson Soloist then realised I'm 66.
I have all the guitars I need to be honest.
The number of guitars you need is
Guitars Needed = Current Number of Guitars + 1.

There ends the lesson

Soldato
The other is the Taylor T5 and the GS Mini.
Don't say stuff like that. A couple of weeks ago I bought a £109 Harley Benton GS Mini clone which is so unexpectedly loud and brash that I'm going to put silk & steel strings on it to try and tame it. And the very next day I was so discombobulated by the Harley Benton, that I went to my little bloke with all the Takamines, intending to buy strings, and came away with £325's worth of Taka-mini, because it sounded so much more mellow and "like a proper guitar".

Now I find I like both of them, in completely different ways... which is... verging on stupidity. But it's a kind of glorious kind of stupidity... probably.

The worst part of it is I've now spent over £400 on two guitars that aren't GS Minis, but still wonder if I should've just bought a GS Mini and be done with it! Though, to be fair, I want the £999 Koa-Plus, which is definitely Too Much Guitar to be clattering around trains and care homes. The HB and slightly less dentable-without-crying Taka-Mini are perfect for that! Today I was using a bin as a music stand... my gigging requirements are pretty low. :D

Right, back to trying to find a nice run-up to mimic the strings in the "You are the Dancing Queen" bit of Dancing Queen. What a wild, wild Friday night I'm having! :cool: And I will definitely not be YouTubing T5s, which I didn't know existed until I saw your post.

<MarvinTheParanoidAndroid>Guitars.... don't talk to me about guitars!</MarvinTheParanoidAndroid>

Soldato
Annoyingly - just looking at the wood for the guitar amp combo cab. Turns out that baltic birch plywood from russia is sectioned (rightly so) hence the demand for Finnish/swedish birch ply has increased costs. The result is that it's ny on impossible to get in the UK unless you're prepared to pay 2-3x the cost, so the option is to go for beech ply instead.
I have 1/4 of a sheet left that I can make the baffle out of but I will then use beech as the top/bottom/sides and anything else. An alternative is MDF but any dampness and that can expand plus it weighs even more than ply!
Plan is to pick that up today and then have that available for building over the next few weeks. I can then finally get around to ordering the amp components I want and then that completes the amp :D. I've got to the stage I want to get this bits together so I can simply plugin and play rather than worry about ensuring the speaker is connected etc etc and not have the amp open/prone (465Vdc B+ cold start measured the morning and it's open).

Soldato
The number of guitars you need is
Guitars Needed = Current Number of Guitars + 1.

There ends the lesson

I sold my ibanez 7 a few weeks back, due to.lack of use.

I'm now down to a classical, a 4 string bass, and a westone thunder 1a. I'm now considering selling the westone, too. Again, it's rarely played.

Soldato
Amp sides, front and back now done. Next is to fit the supports in, cut the speaker hole and I can then test.

aI5UPi3.jpeg

I will look if the amp needs thicker walls or bracing but looking forward to having the speaker out of the box and in the amp. After that I can finish it off with a grill cloth, tolex etc.

Idea is that it should look at little like this:

hIyxgCA.jpeg

Although not a Marshall Bluesbreaker circuit, not a 2x12 and taller than it is wide.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom