***The Official Guitar Thread***

Associate
Thanks for the replies, but there are two groups of seven notes and one group of four notes. It's the group of four notes that concerns me.

I agree that for each group of 7, it is clearly: d-u-d-u-d-u-d

And there is no way he's playing the whole thing with downstrokes, no matter how godlike he is :p

Down stroking on the very last note means he surely starts the first note of the four on an upstroke. It's either that or playing two downstrokes in a row, economy picking style, but that's a headache too!

I would play it:
d-u-d-u-d-u-(d)
d-u-d-u-d-u-(d)
d-u-d-(u)

The ones in brackets are the power chord at the end of each line (E5, E5, then F5 for the last one). All the other notes are open E string.

Rhythmically, you have:
triplet - triplet - quarter note
triplet - triplet - quarter note
triplet - quarter note

Each of the power chords at the end of each line/grouping are quarter notes, whereas everything else is triplets. So the quarter notes give you plenty of time to re-adjust your picking for the start of the next repeat regardless of how you end the line (upstroke or downstroke).

But it makes sense that each line would reset the picking pattern at the longer quarter note, so it always starts on a downstroke. And then each line/grouping is just straight alternate picked.

Man of Honour
OP
I concur with the above but the trickiness comes from multiple strings, specifically the fact you have to jump from the low E to do an upstroked chord from the D string, which is really quite unpleasant at full speed. Try it yourself :p

I think it might just be hard to play!

Soldato
I would play it:
d-u-d-u-d-u-(d)
d-u-d-u-d-u-(d)
d-u-d-(u)
That's fine but ending it on a downstroke isn't very difficult for me and I prefer the sound and feel of it downstroked, especially since it's the bit you're letting ring un-palm muted for a moment.

Doesn't really matter too much.

Caporegime
What are peoples opinions on a good age to start learning? My nephew is 3, will be 4 at the start of February and he has shown an interest in getting a guitar from Father Christmas.

I've been playing for a number of years, and i'm a little concerned that he might be a little young to be starting guitar? Even a 1/4 might be a bit big, and I'm reluctant to buy a toy guitar. I appreciate that some might say 'never too young' but I don't want to put him off completely, by getting something that he just isn't ready for.

Thoughts, or recommendations?

Soldato
Well, I never picked up a guitar until I was 19.

All I can say is I always wanted to play guitar when I was a kid - my dad had an acoustic but was never interested in teaching me even a few basic chords or even letting me have a small starter guitar of my own (par for the course with that guy).

I count that as having lost over 10 years worth of experience.

So, if he's really into it, I say the only limitation is is he big enough to fit the instrument?

You could always try him out with a ukulele - it'd be a proper instrument, wouldn't cost the earth if he lost interest, would most likely fit his hands and would be simpler to learn to mash about with at that age. A bit more than a toy, a bit less that a full guitar.

I say go for it. He might not take to it in the long run, but having the chance to learn as early as possible is priceless.

I bitterly regret not having the guidance and opportunity to learn guitar until I was much older.

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
Have been 'playing' guitar on and off for nearly 20 years now, far more off than on, haven't touched things for ages.

Only ever had electrics but fancying an electro acoustic to play about with.

Was going to get the Yamaha APX5iii as seems decent but then saw the Yamaha APX2 and am torn as the 3/4 size might be nice/easier for my tiny inflexible hands ;)

Caporegime
Well, I never picked up a guitar until I was 19.

All I can say is I always wanted to play guitar when I was a kid - my dad had an acoustic but was never interested in teaching me even a few basic chords or even letting me have a small starter guitar of my own (par for the course with that guy).

I count that as having lost over 10 years worth of experience.

So, if he's really into it, I say the only limitation is is he big enough to fit the instrument?

You could always try him out with a ukulele - it'd be a proper instrument, wouldn't cost the earth if he lost interest, would most likely fit his hands and would be simpler to learn to mash about with at that age. A bit more than a toy, a bit less that a full guitar.

I say go for it. He might not take to it in the long run, but having the chance to learn as early as possible is priceless.

I bitterly regret not having the guidance and opportunity to learn guitar until I was much older.

Thanks, ill go for it and hope for the best :)

Soldato
Has anyone had experience with owning a Taylor acoustic?

I have the chance of buying a 2nd hand 614 CE (2000) AAA quilted maple back for around £850 (mint) but would love to hear from anyone that has owned one.

I'd unfortunately have to sell my LA-8 which I know I'll regret as it's a lovely guitar to play but simply cannot justify that sort of outlay at the moment.

Seagull or possibly a Martin was on my list for the next couple of years but this is cheaper than what I would have eventually been looking at spending new so if it plays well I'd be silly not to seriously consider it.

Almost always regretted selling a guitar to finance another but sometimes one has no choice! :/

Soldato
People will always have their preferences, but you cannot go wrong with a Taylor guitar. (or martin, lowden etc)

I own a 314ce (was around £13-1400 new) and it just sounds lovely. The tone is something else.
I'd think a 600 series taylor would sound at least as good.
Probably what you pay the extra for with the higher spec Taylors are the materials; exotic woods, and the standard of finish; detailing in the mother-of-toilet-seat... I mean mother-of-pearl :D stuff like that.

I suspect the law of diminishing returns applies to guitars above a certain price point.

http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/acoustic_guitars_detail.asp?stock=14111909585732

Gives you an idea what they cost new.

Depends how old it is and how well looked after. Are the frets worn at all? Have you played it, checked the setup? Do you know what electronics package it has? Iirc you can check the taylor website for serial nos. to see what you have.

Seagull make nice instruments too. My old S6 folk is no comparison to my 314; having said that I still play it nearly every day and do treat it a little more roughly than the taylor (which is hidden away in the case until I play it... then it gets wiped down with a cloth and returned to its snug home :o )

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks for the points jumpy.

I have the nice electric guitars that I never play but only really play acoustic now, hence why I'm extremely tempted with this guitar.

I missed out on a 6 series a few years ago which was around that price but had been gigged loads - this one hasn't been gigged and in (apparently) perfect condition. I'd definitely check for fret wear as well as straightness of neck and overall condition. Apparently the action is a tiny bit high but not much play with bone piece on bridge but a bit of room for manoeuvre on the nut as well as the neck possibly getting re-tensioned. I am told the bridge was lifted and skimmed down by a local luither (I've used this guy and he is very good).

It's a 2000 according to the information I had from Taylor and apparently electronics are pre-Taylor Expression System which doesn't mean much to me as I've always gone retro-fitted pickups previously.

The few second hand guitars of that model/age seem to be going for more but living on a small Island can have it's benefits in picking up some good bargains as dealing with Ebay here is a nightmare (flat 20% VAT on everything, including 2nd hand goods), plus cost to ship etc.

Soldato
I know it's getting close to the time of year when people with a life ignore the internet for a while....

But If you go with the Taylor, you'll have to post a few pics of the new shiny.

:p

Soldato
Absolutely, try and stop me!

My wife (who is THE best wife) tells me to get it but I know I'd struggle to sell my Yamaha locally and I couldn't justify that sort of outlay when I have ££££(£ *cough*) of electric guitars, amps and pedals in storage that are never used (and will never be sold).

Plus I'm one for trying to get the price lower so hopefully I can take £50-100 off as well ;)

Also I've always regretted selling guitars, particularly the LA-8 which I've owned for over a decade and it's very playable, just doesn't have the quality of sound the Taylor would give so bit of Murphey's choice.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom