*** The Official HTC One M8 Thread ***

Is it me or am I alone in thinking 4MP is plenty for a phone cam sensor so small?

It's can't resolve much more res from what I've seen and bigger pixels will help give sharper pics by giving more light to the sensor.

I often resize my DSLR pics to 2MP and they still look superb even with a bit of zooming.

Is it me or am I alone in thinking 4MP is plenty for a phone cam sensor so small?

It's can't resolve much more res from what I've seen and bigger pixels will help give sharper pics by giving more light to the sensor.

I often resize my DSLR pics to 2MP and they still look superb even with a bit of zooming.

It's not bad as far as phone cameras go but the image quality of my previous S3 imo was superior even with its smaller pixel 8mp camera. The HTC one just can't keep up.

If they stick with 4mp then they need to seriously make it far sharper. The camera interface leaves a lot to be desired too. I miss having the ability to hold the shutter button to make the camera focus and then lift off to take the picture.

HTC over process the photos to death, at times you can get excellent shots but generally things where pretty soft, and a bit grainy. This is from testing with my friend HTC One. They need to work on the software a bit.

HTC over process the photos to death, at times you can get excellent shots but generally things where pretty soft, and a bit grainy. This is from testing with my friend HTC One. They need to work on the software a bit.

Totally agreed....you can have a great looking phone with superb screen tech and gimmicky camera but be let down by camera software. Think HTC need to do a hell of a lot of work on that front.

Totally agreed....you can have a great looking phone with superb screen tech and gimmicky camera but be let down by camera software. Think HTC need to do a hell of a lot of work on that front.

This is one of the reasons I'm glad there not changing the design too much, it hopefully gives them time to fix their software. Something like Zoe's seems really nice and my friends that use the One all love it too bit, but they need to seriously fix up the processing.

Sense as a whole feels a lot better now, and I could see my self using it and not missing stock Android too much.

This is one of the reasons I'm glad there not changing the design too much, it hopefully gives them time to fix their software. Something like Zoe's seems really nice and my friends that use the One all love it too bit, but they need to seriously fix up the processing.

Sense as a whole feels a lot better now, and I could see my self using it and not missing stock Android too much.

Also the fact that HTC have pretty much kept their promises firmware update wise. Which makes the phone a lot more attractive as firmware updates are important to me coming from a Nexus device.

Also the fact that HTC have pretty much kept their promises firmware update wise. Which makes the phone a lot more attractive as firmware updates are important to me coming from a Nexus device.

Going forward Google isn't changing the HAL which is the main reasons updates took so long in the pass so OEMs have little excuse for delays. All the new Samsung products have 4.4 too, and the HTC One has 4.4 which is amazing. Moto is pretty on point and was ahead of things like the N4 to get official 4.4. Sony and LG are pretty meh with updates, the Z1 compact should have launched with 4.4 on board.

Going forward Google isn't changing the HAL which is the main reasons updates took so long in the pass so OEMs have little excuse for delays. All the new Samsung products have 4.4 too, and the HTC One has 4.4 which is amazing. Moto is pretty on point and was ahead of things like the N4 to get official 4.4. Sony and LG are pretty meh with updates, the Z1 compact should have launched with 4.4 on board.

Exactly OEMs no longer have excuses to fall behind and if they do then consumers will vote with their wallets.

I think the Moto G got the 4.4 update ahead of the N4 was because I read somewhere that Motorola had an agreement in place with Google that they would get the updates first over any device.

As for Sony and LG we all know what their track records are like update wise but they are picking up their acts. Apparently the Z1c is due to get the 4.4 update within the coming weeks which is great.

On another note here's some more info re the M8. Looking good:-

http://androidandme.com/2014/02/news/more-leaks-of-next-htc-flagship-show-closeup-of-second-camera-on-screen-buttons/

Most people don't even know what version of Android their phone is running.

This is so true. I have countless friends who don't know what version they are running just that its a Samsung (in most cases) or LG/HTC.

I don't think a lot of people will know(or at least care) what software their Android phone is running now especially with the push towards making more of the software independent to the OS.

HTC were very good last year concerning getting updates out quick especially for the One. Some devices like the One S though which should have really had an update didn't which is a shame. I can see good things from coming from HTC in the next few years as long as they keep to how it is now!

I've got loads of apps on the N7 that can't be installed on my HOS :(

**** HTC for leaving the One S/X on 4.1/4.2. :D Oh and it's not just OS updates. It's bug fixes, newer drivers, new camera features/improvements, the newer UI etc.

As for Sony and LG we all know what their track records are like update wise but they are picking up their acts

Sony have essentially just dropped support for the 2012-2013 line up. The Z1/Z1s won't be any different and probably won't even make it past 4.4. :D

That's the price we pay getting a cheap new phone every year or two.

As guys on forums like these are pretty vocal group, it only takes a few people to start off a movement on twitter. It has happened before with software updates, things like the HTC One S.

Possible M8 mini leak: http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_m8_one_2_mini_specs_leak_snapdragon_400_inside-news-7773.php

It sounds terrible, I'm not sure if moving from a dual Krait SoC to a quad A7 SoC will be good performance wise. It looks more like a HTC version of the Moto G... Hopefully these rumours are false or a lower end HTC device. Other companies needs to produce better devices to compete against the Z1 Compact...

That looks like a total joke, if they charge over £200 it seems like they didn't like for the current Mini.

Maybe in the past but not now...My friends and colleagues all know what version firmware they're running and they're not exactly tech minded like us on the forum.

As guys on forums like these are pretty vocal group, it only takes a few people to start off a movement on twitter. It has happened before with software updates, things like the HTC One S.

Exactly...very nice example. Such a ruckas was made that HTC had to backtrack and were made to look stupid by the public.

Another image of the M8 has been leaked. Spotted it over at Android Spin.

If it's genuine, then I think I preferred the way the earlier fakes looked, as it appears to still have the same black strip above the lower speaker with just the HTC logo there now.

At least on the One that strip served a purpose.

Now it just means that the onscreen buttons eat into the screen space instead, pushing your launcher icons higher up.

And the screen bezels don't really look to be any smaller.

Another image of the M8 has been leaked. Spotted it over at Android Spin.

If it's genuine, then I think I preferred the way the earlier fakes looked, as it appears to still have the same black strip above the lower speaker with just the HTC logo there now.

At least on the One that strip served a purpose.

Now it just means that the onscreen buttons eat into the screen space instead, pushing your launcher icons higher up.

And the screen bezels don't really look to be any smaller.

Saw it as well: http://www.gsmarena.com/another_alleged_photo_of_htc_m8_makes_the_rounds_on_twitter-news-7792.php

The previous leak, if fake, looks a lot more refined and better. The black strip with the HTC logo is a waste of space. The front camera looks a little off as well...

Saw it as well: http://www.gsmarena.com/another_alleged_photo_of_htc_m8_makes_the_rounds_on_twitter-news-7792.php

The previous leak, if fake, looks a lot more refined and better. The black strip with the HTC logo is a waste of space. The front camera looks a little off as well...

Very true.

That photo is the worst looking "leak" to date. If that's what the M8 will look like looks like I'll either be sticking with my One or finding something else.
There's far too much waste of screen space with that back strip with the htc logo on it and that stupid looking led at the top... what's all that about!!

looks more like a step backward than a step forward by htc if that's what the M8 will look like.

Back
Top Bottom