*** The Official HTC One M8 Thread ***

Soldato
Firstly when you flash the GPe ROM how much memory is left usable of 16Gb?

Secondly can you get OTA updates or do you have to flash a new ROM every time it's released?

Cheers

12.9GB according to Titanium Backup. When you flash the GPe RUU, it changes the partition layout so I think you get slightly more space compared to Sense.

You can get OTA updates if you use the GPE recovery, which installs anyway when you flash the RUU.

Here's the battery life if anyone's interested

MG49VQGl.png.jpg

H4uEH4Rl.png.jpg

Soldato
From some quick research I've done, you do get OTA updates as long as you're using the stock recovery.

Nice one Mate...that's good to know. Are you going to buy your HTC One M8 from Rainforest?

12.9GB according to Titanium Backup. When you flash the GPe RUU, it changes the partition layout so I think you get slightly more space compared to Sense.

You can get OTA updates if you use the GPE recovery, which installs anyway when you flash the RUU.

Here's the battery life if anyone's interested

MG49VQGl.png.jpg

H4uEH4Rl.png.jpg

That's a result...much more memory than Sense 6.

Quality that the OTA updates still come through, I'll definitely keep my HTC One M8 now as my Nexus 5 has the most horrid battery life and the stats for the battery life are really impressive.

Thanks for sharing that with us :)

Time to start researching how to convert the M8 to GPe and get the best of both worlds.

Mobster
Soldato
OP
Received the M8 today.

Really like the speakers, screen is good, doesn't feel too big in the hand.

However, the volume rocker seems to be quite loose? The bottom is fine but the top half feels very loose? Just touching it very gently causes it to move all over the place.

Soldato
Congrats on your new phone Mate.

The phone itself is great however the build quality is hit and miss. I've had a few HTC M8s and nearly all of them had a wobbly volume rocker. I put the phone in a case and it solved the issue and forgot all about it.

Soldato
My first M8 had a loose volume rocker so I returned it. The second one was perfect. A lot of people on XDA had the same problem, seems it's a bit random.

Can't type for toffee
Don
Well I ended up with the Spigen slim armor in gunmetal grey and she ended up with the spigen ultra hybrid in mint. Neither really seem to add to the size of the phone much at all :) They do however block the IR, which wasn't very well detailed in the description, other than that happy with both cases.

The lack of an actual button, phyiscal or touch at the bottom is taking some getting used to tho, camera on it seems pretty pants compared to my S3 too. Think I'm just gonna look at getting a second battery for my digital camera for when we go out and about.

I got an additional 65GB added to my Google drive when I set the phone up, I've seen it a couple of times say it's backing photos and stuff up to the cloud when connected to wireless. However when I goto my google drive theres nowt there :/ wheres it sending them lol

S3 feels tiny now :/

Last edited:
Soldato
Noticed some marks on the body also :( Not impressed so far with how the device has been manufactured.

I think that sort of issue is much more prominent with the Gunmetal variant and I went through at least 4 handsets before giving up.

How are you finding the phone so far? Do you reckon you'll use it as your daily driver?

@benjo Mate, I forgot to ask you with regards to the battery stats you posted up earlier - what kind of use did you get that usage with?

I also find the photo upload thing a massive pain in the behind, what third party app do you use out of interest?

Cheers

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom