***The Official HTC One Thread***

I know there are few satellites up atm (4 or so I think) but it would be a plus if the phone were compatible for the time when more are up there.

ESA said:
By mid-decade the 18 Galileo satellites then in orbit will provide initial services to users. The complete 30-strong constellation enabling the full range of Galileo services is scheduled for the decade's end.

Would be nice to future proof but in reality how long do people keep smartphones for? From the manufacturers POV it's just an extra expense for something no one is asking for (yet) or can use (yet).

Has anyone here ordered from mobilephonesdirect before? are there phones on contract sim free handsets or network branded. Tempted for a t mobile deal with the htc one they are offering.

Just checked this out - fantastic deal IMHO @ £28.50 a month after cashback with 1gb of data and 1000 minutes.

Whats the Tethering policy on that T-Mobile package? I use my phone for my iPad Mini so tethering is essential, couldnt find anything that included it without charging a fortune (I use barely 200mb a month of tethering data) so was just going to buy SIM free and keep my Virgin SIM only but if that T-Mobile plan will allow me to do it (ie not physically prevent) then I'm very tempted.

Edit: Seems it's yet another crap deal with gimped funtionality, sigh.

Last edited:
From some quick use of the GPS this phone is insanely fast to lock and very accurate - compared to my DHD it was night and day!

The only thing I'm not liking about it thus far is the notification led - it's not changed from my DHD one where if it's charging/charged you can't tell if there are any notifications :/

Wouldn't it have been simple to have a second one for charging!?

[TW]Fox;24044976 said:
Just checked this out - fantastic deal IMHO @ £28.50 a month after cashback with 1gb of data and 1000 minutes.

Whats the Tethering policy on that T-Mobile package? I use my phone for my iPad Mini so tethering is essential, couldnt find anything that included it without charging a fortune (I use barely 200mb a month of tethering data) so was just going to buy SIM free and keep my Virgin SIM only but if that T-Mobile plan will allow me to do it (ie not physically prevent) then I'm very tempted.

Edit: Seems it's yet another crap deal with gimped funtionality, sigh.

Their Full Monty plans with unlimited data specifically don't allow tethering, not sure on the normal tariffs.

Have you considered Three? I'm tempted by them for mobile data and tethering.

[EDIT]On T Mobile website it says about 1GB:

Comes with wifi, and perfect if you use the internet a lot for browsing, downloading apps, watching YouTube or BBC iPlayer, or if you use your phone as a modem sometimes.

Last edited:
Pretty sure I'm getting a silver One over the S4 now; best deal for unlimited data seems to be on 3. Either SIM only on the Ultimate Internet Sim 200 1 month plan, buying the phone from p4u (£489.95 + £12.90*24 = £799.55) OR the Ultimate Internet 500 (£34*24 = £816) which also allows me to tether, but I am locked in to 3, who I have not used before.

Pretty sure I'm getting a silver One over the S4 now; best deal for unlimited data seems to be on 3. Either SIM only on the Ultimate Internet Sim 200 1 month plan, buying the phone from p4u (£489.95 + £12.90*24 = £799.55) OR the Ultimate Internet 500 (£34*24 = £816) which also allows me to tether, but I am locked in to 3, who I have not used before.

Three's internet speeds are really good, only thing is Tethring is "officially" allowed only on the one plan so you are looking at £25/m for a sim only plan.

I will get the HTC One as well (silver) and use it with ultimate internet 200 plan, seems the most economical way to get it (at least for me).

Three's internet speeds are really good, only thing is Tethring is "officially" allowed only on the one plan so you are looking at £25/m for a sim only plan.

I will get the HTC One as well (silver) and use it with ultimate internet 200 plan, seems the most economical way to get it (at least for me).

From their site:
SIM plans with All-you-can-eat data do not allow tethering (except for the One Plan). If you would like to tether, you will need to choose a Pay Monthly plan and / or an Add-On that does allow tethering.
I thought this meant that tethering was allowed on the contract plans but on closer inspection it seems that you are right - it is only the One plans that include tethering. Badly worded in my opinion.

You can add tethering to the other plans for £5pm. So you could add that to the internet sim 200 to allow tethering for £17.90pm. The tethering raises the total price from £799.55 to £919.55 on the sim only plans. It is cheaper to get the phone on contract (with tethering) also but being able to switch provider at any point is a plus.

So currently the options I am considering (adjusted to 24 months) are:

• The One plan
    • £864 Total | Average £36 pm | £62.62 back @ topcashback | £801.38 total
    • Tethering allowed
    • 5k Texts, 2k Mins, Unlimited Data
  • Ultimate Internet SIM 200 Monthly | Sim free Phone from P4U
    • £799.55 Total | Average £33.31 pm | £25.75 back @ topcashback | £773.80 total
    • Tethering not allowed
    • 5k Texts, 200 Mins, Unlimited Data
  • Ultimate Internet SIM 200 Monthly with Tethering | Sim free Phone from P4U
    • £919.55 Total | Average £38.31 pm | £25.75 back @ topcashback | £893.80 total
    • Tethering allowed
Most tempted by the last at the moment. Tethering is very useful & I feel that while £92.42 isn't a small amount of money it might be worth it to have the ability to change network whenever I want.

Last edited:
I think it is allowed on The One sim only plan and all the regular monthly plans. I.e. it is just sim only plans other than the One plan that do not support tethering. From their site:

You can also add tethering to the other sim-only plans for £5pm. So you could add that to the internet sim 200 to allow tethering for £17.90pm. The tethering raises the total price from £799.55 to £919.55 on the sim only plans. It is cheaper to get the phone on contract also but being able to switch provider at any point is a plus.

So currently the options I am considering (adjusted to 24 months) are:

• Ultimate Internet 500 24 Month Contract
    • £816 Total | Average £34 pm | £62.62 back @ topcashback | £753.38 total
    • Tethering allowed
    • 5k Texts, 500 Mins, Unlimited Data
  • Ultimate Internet SIM 200 Monthly | Sim free Phone from P4U
    • £799.55 Total | Average £33.31 pm | £25.75 back @ topcashback | £773.80 total
    • Tethering not allowed
  • Ultimate Internet SIM 200 Monthly with Tethering | Sim free Phone from P4U
    • £919.55 Total | Average £38.31 pm | £25.75 back @ topcashback | £893.80 total
    • Tethering allowed

The tethering add on will only allow an "allowance" for tethering (2gb in most cases).

Hence it won't be unlimited tethering. On the one plan it's unlimited tethering.

The tethering add on will only allow an "allowance" for tethering (2gb in most cases).

Hence it won't be unlimited tethering. On the one plan it's unlimited tethering.

I wasn't aware of that, I can't find specifics but I'll take your word for it.

Last edited:
Just recieved from Mobilephonesdirect:

"Dear Customer,

We have just been advised by our HTC distributor that they will only be supplying 5% of the HTC One stock we have ordered. I am sure you will agree that this is very disappointing news. This will affect all HTC resellers, so please do not cancel your order slot and attempt to buy elsewhere - We will be shipping your HTC One on a first ordered, first shipped basis.

Please be assured that we will chase HTC daily to ensure that we can supply your new phone as soon as possible.

Our first batch of the HTC One in Silver is due in to our warehouse on Wednesday 3rd April. We are currently expecting 100 units. Therefore if you have placed your order prior to the 13th March it is likely (subject to the usual network credit check) that you will receive your HTC One Silver on Thursday 4th April. However, if you have placed your order after the 13th March, we will send an email daily with any further information or update no matter how small.

On behalf of HTC, Mobile Phones Direct would like to sincerely apologise for the delay to this launch. We are doing our best to set delivery expectations, and to assure you that your order is pending, and as soon as we receive your HTC One it will be shipped.

Kind regards"

EDIT: I ordered on the 18th March... sigh...
Bold added.

Last edited:
I wasn't aware of that, I can't find specifics but I'll take your word for it.

It depends on what kind of tethering you do in my experience, since I got my n7, release date, I've used three kinds of 3 sim to tether a variety of phones with the N none of which was a one plan all have worked with no problems or repercussions however I've only tethered to browse on the tab no using it for streaming or as my main broadband or anything like that, plenty of yt Vids n stuff of that nature though.

Most tempted by the last at the moment. Tethering is very useful & I feel that while £92.42 isn't a small amount of money it might be worth it to have the ability to change network whenever I want.

Interesting option, thanks for taking the time to post that.

For me, Tethering is essential - I am increasingly frustrated with the avenue the industry is going down for a feature as useful as this. All they need to do is limit tethering to an amount of data thats not useful for the abusers who use it instead of a home internet connection, but no, they just blanket ban it for everyone despite increasingly larger sales of wifi tablets etc which are effectively useless when travelling without Tethering.

I use my phone with my Laptop and my Tablet on trains and in hotel rooms - I use barely 200mb of data a month this way. Just basic web browsing, no streaming, no downloading, and yet find 95% of deals are just not open to me now because of the draconian restrictions being applied.

I have used a mobile phone in conjunction with some other mobile device for internet access on trains etc since 2000 with a Nokia 7110 and a Psion 5mx. I find it incredible that as tech advances my opportunities to do this are becoming less rather than more!

As for the HTC One I cannot see the point in pretty much any of the contract deals. Why are people bothering? It seems that just buying the handset SIM free and using a SIM only deal beats the contracts every time.

I pay £12 a month for Unlimited Data, Unlimited Texts and 150 minutes with Virgin. Buying the phone outright works out at 20 quid a month over 24 months so £32 a month, comparable with the very best contract deals but with ultimate flexibility.

Back
Top Bottom