***The Official HTC One Thread***

[TW]Fox;24047032 said:
Interesting option, thanks for taking the time to post that.

For me, Tethering is essential - I am increasingly frustrated with the avenue the industry is going down for a feature as useful as this. All they need to do is limit tethering to an amount of data thats not useful for the abusers who use it instead of a home internet connection, but no, they just blanket ban it for everyone despite increasingly larger sales of wifi tablets etc which are effectively useless when travelling without Tethering.

I use my phone with my Laptop and my Tablet on trains and in hotel rooms - I use barely 200mb of data a month this way. Just basic web browsing, no streaming, no downloading, and yet find 95% of deals are just not open to me now because of the draconian restrictions being applied.

I have used a mobile phone in conjunction with some other mobile device for internet access on trains etc since 2000 with a Nokia 7110 and a Psion 5mx. I find it incredible that as tech advances my opportunities to do this are becoming less rather than more!

As for the HTC One I cannot see the point in pretty much any of the contract deals. Why are people bothering? It seems that just buying the handset SIM free and using a SIM only deal beats the contracts every time.

I pay £12 a month for Unlimited Data, Unlimited Texts and 150 minutes with Virgin. Buying the phone outright works out at 20 quid a month over 24 months so £32 a month, comparable with the very best contract deals but with ultimate flexibility.

because paying 500 at once hurts more than paying 500 + allowance over 24 months, im surprised you even questioned it :)

12months is the best contract to take IMO

The contract I went for meant paying more up front for the phone but I'm only paying £26 (no increase over old contract) and I get 500 x network mins and unlimited texts and data which is great - worked out cheaper over 24 months than going with the more expensive contracts and paying less up front ...

because paying 500 at once hurts more than paying 500 + allowance over 24 months, im surprised you even questioned it :)

But you pay extra for that privilage and if you are that desperate for it not to 'hurt' then just put it on a 0% credit card or something :confused:

[TW]Fox;24047302 said:
But you pay extra for that privilage and if you are that desperate for it not to 'hurt' then just put it on a 0% credit card or something :confused:

in my case taking 12 month contract will work out ~640 for a year.

thats 500 for a phone and ~14/month for credit, now with giffgaff and 500 for phone i would only save 20quid/year

Mine has just arrived, and my god is it loud! I'll take some pictures of it in Silver later for those still undecided.

The start up options to copy contacts from iPhone (as well as many many many other phones) is very good, except my iPhone doesn't really work properly, and definitely won't work with the One. *palm*

I've had mine for over a week now but I've only been properly been using it since Saturday when I sold my S3, I am still for my new Diztronic case to arrive directly from them (nearly a week now) so in the meantime I'm having to use the phone with a phone sock and no protective screen :/

Anyway - I must say, this phone is amazing. It's noticeably quicker than my old S3 and it feels much nicer in the palm of my hand, and as the other member on here says - the speakers are LOUD! But they are excellent, the clarity and sound is near enough the same as my Altec Lansing speakers!

As other have also echo'd, the camera does indeed have some room for improvement as daylight shots can be very hit/miss at times but at the time same, low light/night photos are very good. Front camera - I've not had the chance to test it out yet. Hopefully as discussed the camera issues will be resolved with a future firmware release.

Screen & touch - nice, bright and the detail is excellent, however when it comes to colours & details I'm no expert but to me it looks better than the quality on the S3. The touchscreen however I must say is also smooth, responsive and typing to me feels way easier compared to my old S3. The front touch buttons are also good, but at this stage I cannot give a definite answer as I'm still getting used to the phone but for me sometimes I have to press the buttons twice before it does something (probably because my finger isn't positioned on them properly, knowing me!)

Battery - Wow, a massive improvement coming from my old S3! On the S3, a full charge would roughly only last for 18hrs at the most with how I generally use my phones at the moment (Facebook, Twitter, Internet, Messages and a bit of the camera). However, on my new One I have managed to get around 30.5hrs from the battery before I put it on charge an hour ago, and the phone is currently undergoing it's second full charge. I have practically been using my One for the same things as mentioned that I did on the S3 but overall so far I am amazed by how long the battery been lasting.

Build and overall quality of the phone. It's got to be said that one of the main reasons I've gone back to HTC this time is because how well built their phones are, and the general quality of them in the palm of my hand. The old S3 did feel well built but I was never blown away by the general plastic feel of the phone and, as all of you know will know the HTC has a Aluminium casing, which to me feels really comfortable in my hand and it makes the phone look and feel more premium. I know looks are not everything with a phone but to me, this is one thing to think about. I have also been reading reports on here & on XDA that some users who acquired there One's literally when they first became available a few weeks ago that some have been people experienced slight defects with the casing i.e. gaps between the casing and the screen/corners. However with mine, I'm glad that mine is totally free of any cosmetic defects :)

As I have only been using the phone properly for the past couple of days this is all I think of for now. Though here is a quick summery of slightly niggly things that I want to note about the phone (my opinion only of course):

Notification/battery/charge LED could be better positioned and when the phone is rested on a table, the LED can be hard to spot unless you're directly above the phone.

Volume keys - HTC could have put a bit more thought into this as sometimes they are hard to feel due to them being the same height as the rest of the casing (unlike other phones where the volume keys are slightly raised). If you're not directly looking where to put your thumb, the keys can be a bit of a challenge to find.

Liam

I am still for my new Diztronic case to arrive directly from them (nearly a week now) so in the meantime I'm having to use the phone with a phone sock and no protective screen :/

Thanks for the review, useful stuff.

But I have to ask in relation to this paragraph - so what? Why would you want to cover it in screen protectors and cases?

I've never used a screen protector on any of my phones and with the quality of screens these days they simply don't get scratches. I'm pretty sure they are just no longer needed but people seem to fit them anyway.

I don't really understand the logic of buying a beautifully crafted phone for which the feel of the device is much of the appeal only to then cover it in plastic stickers for the screen and encase it in a case. Might as well have just got a Galaxy S4 :p

Its like speccing leather seats in your car and then forever using a nylon seat cover to keep them nice.

After a failed attempt of copying information from the iPhone, i'm still getting used to Android, but I love the phone.

The phone really is made amazingly well, and the software is very smooth. I also love the screen, the colours are very very nice. I found my camera kept having to refocus earlier, but the camera is like the phone, and is very very fast. For me, the camera is perfectly fine.

But for me, a great upgrade from the iPhone 4!

edit:

GPS positioning is very accurate, and I'm always within 2/3meters of actual location.

I have ordered some screen protectors, but I am not covering this up in a case, just too nice to not look at! Would be like sticking some cheap pink covers from halfords over the new M5's leather. (not that i have an M5.) :p

[TW]Fox;24049721 said:
Thanks for the review, useful stuff.

But I have to ask in relation to this paragraph - so what? Why would you want to cover it in screen protectors and cases?

I've never used a screen protector on any of my phones and with the quality of screens these days they simply don't get scratches. I'm pretty sure they are just no longer needed but people seem to fit them anyway.

I don't really understand the logic of buying a beautifully crafted phone for which the feel of the device is much of the appeal only to then cover it in plastic stickers for the screen and encase it in a case. Might as well have just got a Galaxy S4 :p

Its like speccing leather seats in your car and then forever using a nylon seat cover to keep them nice.

No problem,

In some away I do agree with what you're saying about the protective screens, the only reason I have one on my smart phones since owning an S2 is because I'm a bit OCD when it comes to keeping the screen clean and I remember when I had my old HTC Desire HD, when I came to sell that I remember spotting a very small hairline scratch on the screen which occurred sometime during ownership.

Lastly, protective cases - I purely have these just to keep the phone's outer casing in one piece. As I know if I dropped the phone (and I dropped my old S3 a few times) I know I would probably end up scratching or possibly slightly denting the cases (I did exactly this when I owned my Nokia N95 lol). Though the type I cases I only go for are TPU thin ones as I can't stand big & bulky cases.

Liam

Last edited:
I've had mine since Thursday and am really impressed. Build quality is superb screen bright and sound is immense, both loud and clear. Battery life is very good, the sleep feature works well to extend the battery with almost no drain overnight. I can get a day easily out of it even using it during the day and listening to music.

Skygo app isn't supported yet, but expect that'll change shortly and the HTC Flip case is a decent enough case that I don't worry about putting it in my trouser, jacket or suit pockets and using it in stand mode works well for both watching films or using as a music player.

More impressed with this than I was with my Note 2.

I've had mine for over a week now...

Snip

Liam

Nice review, its becoming increasingly difficult to resist buying this!

I don't suppose you'd mind putting up some good and bad examples of pictures you've taken at full resolution?

Another question, how long does it take to boot up?

Nice review, its becoming increasingly difficult to resist buying this!

I don't suppose you'd mind putting up some good and bad examples of pictures you've taken at full resolution?

Another question, how long does it take to boot up?

Thanks, if I remember right the phone took around 30 seconds to boot up, and that was from pressing the button right through until the phone's home screen appears (that's with "Fast Boot" enabled). As soon as the home screen appears as well, the phone does not experience any lag for the first 10 seconds where as my S3 used to suffer this. Yeah of course here you go. Sorry that they are a bit random and they were taken without much thought lol, make sure you maximize them within Photobucket:

Not so good ones:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v143/KenRocker/2013-03-30154805_zpse51c6b73.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v143/KenRocker/2013-04-01125948_zps1790f31e.jpg

Good ones:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v143/KenRocker/2013-04-01121353_zps29fc42b9.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v143/KenRocker/2013-03-24141750_zps6e7258f1.jpg

Liam

Last edited:
Thanks for posting those.

I'm afraid I have to say they all, even the good ones, look quite poor. The left and right side of the PC picture is very fuzzy and looks to be heavily compressed. The bonfire picture is pretty washed out and the sponge on the cake doesn't look very crisp/sharp.

I'm not sure if I'm expecting too much, it's about on a par with my Note1, but £500 is a heck of a lot of money for not quite good enough...

Thanks for posting those.

I'm afraid I have to say they all, even the good ones, look quite poor. The left and right side of the PC picture is very fuzzy and looks to be heavily compressed. The bonfire picture is pretty washed out and the sponge on the cake doesn't look very crisp/sharp.

I'm not sure if I'm expecting too much, it's about on a par with my Note1, but £500 is a heck of a lot of money for not quite good enough...

I know how you must be feeling towards buying the phone or not at the moment, and I can't help but agree with you that all the photos that I uploaded are rubbish, and when comparing them to my S3 - the S3 at the moment still produced better photos! Despite the camera issues - you won't be disappointed in the phone. I'm fairly confident that HTC will iron out the camera issues in a new firmware release which is rumoured to be within the next couple of weeks and if the problems still persist due to it possibly being physical, I will send the phone back to HTC UK for them replace the camera unit (which is exactly what they did for me when I first got my Desire HD, as they had a dodgy batch of camera units/lenses fitted when they were first released).

Liam

Last edited:
What a difference "auto enhance" makes ;)

lSNJP6s.jpg

TBF LEK didn't exactly choose great scenes/objects to be photographed :p

Try messing around with the settings in the camera app, they can make a huge difference especially the sharpness one, if you want more colour, put the saturation up by one level or/and try messing with the contrast setting.

edit:

e.g. this guide for the desire hd explains how to get the best out of the camera, same will apply to pretty much any other phone (as long as you have those settings to choose from)

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=875230

Use auto enhance when you get "washed out" photos or to enhance low light/night photos. Simple one click and is done in like a milli second, it just adjusts the contrast and brightness.

I am very impressed with the camera "overall" looking through the photos on xda.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2169626&page=72

These stand out the most:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=39858056#post39858056

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=39840443&postcount=662

https://twitter.com/ricktakagi/status/317681808017858560/photo/1

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=39767760&postcount=615

(granted most of them are resized, but in terms of overall image quality, I think they look great)

And these are most likely taken with the old firmware and/or faulty units.

From reading around, most people are very pleased with it coming from phones like the GS 3 etc. due to the quality of low light/night photos, the camera features i.e. zoe etc.

Last edited:
There are some great pictures about, but just as many bad ones, if not more. :(

If it wasn't for the camera I'd have one of these by now but I'm hesitant to make a move until I know for sure what the problem is, and also that the retarded menu button is removable without rooting. I don't care about the warranty but it's a matter of principle really - it's an absolute joke.

It's a shame because minus these two things you're looking at a phone approaching perfection.

Back
Top Bottom