***The Official HTC One Thread***

Played with a One for the first time today, felt really good in the hand and really makes the screen on Xperia Z look poor when you consider the viewing angles. The notification LED seemed a bit small but overall the phone seemed fantastic.

If you tap just above the logo but below the shortcut icon you get the shortcuts menu - it's just that the icon has a large "area" so picks up the double tap, not that the HTC logo is touch sensitive.

Silly reviewer.

Just got my one on three today, very impressed so far, even compared to my one x. Just done the antu tu test on both my ones the X came out at 13205 overall and the one at 24417. Strangely enough on GSM arena the One came out at 22678 and the S4 at 23607, thought they would all be about the same unless the test/phone software has altered.

Found a good deal on this for anyone interested:

HTC One Black - FREE
Orange Panther 36 (18 month contract)
400 Mins
Unlimited Texts
750MB Data

£36 x 18
= £648

4 months FREE by redemption (-£144)
Your £144.00 saving is available by redemption in 5 stages: £28.80 at month 6, £28.80 at month 9, £28.80 at month 12, £28.80 at month 15, £28.80 at month 18

£100 quidco cashback (-£100)
for all 18 month contracts
EXCLUSIVE RATE EXPIRES IN 4 DAYS

Total: £404

At dialaphone.co.uk

It's still there, go to dialaphone > contract phones

Enter HTC One Black (or Silver) and 18 months and it's the 3rd one on the list.

The best thing about this deal is, you can end up with the handset for £404. Well worth it if the 750mb is enough for you. I don't know what Orange are like if you go over, I'm with T-Mobile and they are fine.

Thanks for this info :) Will be buying tonight.

Really really good price - £400 for a £540 phone barely released along with a decent enough 18month contract! Works out to be £22pm! :)

I wouldn't base too much on what gsmarena think since they appear to have got a really crap model, most likely preproduction model running old software (which has problems like the iso issue). Their photo samples are the worse that I have seen so far.

And then the HTC one s camera improved a fair bit with an update, either sense v4.1 or 4+

and unfortunately gsm don't update their reviews at all even if an update makes a big difference in one or more areas :( :rolleyes: hopefully they will do a separate review/article on the 4.2.2 update for the one like they did with jb and the x

Last edited:
Mine arrived last night (silver) - was up most of the night rooting it and installing all my apps and generally fiddling and setting up - currently running stock.

Initial impressions are somewhat mixed...

Pros:
It's quick! compared to a DHD this is awesomesauce spread thick.
For a phone, the speakers are excellent - I could clearly hear my talking Ivona alarm this morning with earplugs in.
Screen is lovely - crisp and bright (had to turn off auto brightness as it's too conservative and dims too much).
Camera is perfectly fine for a mobile phone - imo.
Only lost 4% battery overnight (SIM isn't activated yet so this may increase).

Cons:
As lovely as the aluminium case is, it has a small scuff mark on the back and a very slight gap at the top between the 2 wafers - I'm aware of these issues with the first batch and I can live with this but for the price of the phone it just kinda leaves a bad taste in the mouth.
The screen isn't as big as I thought it would be but more importantly it doesn't extend to the edges on the side - bezel is too large :( wish the screen was the entire width of the phone.
Sense 5 seems to be nice and lightweight however I think it may be lacking settings - i.e. the amount of time the screen stays on until turning off, percentage within battery icon - small stuff I know but still :confused: (will stick with stock for a bit then move to Nova)'
No customisable RGB LED - seriously, how expensive can this be?

Summary:
I'd definitely still prefer this to a SGS4 - HTC have done most things right - it's just lacking that final 10% to make it an absolutle stonker (still the best phone currently out there imho)

To adjust time for the screen going to sleep: Settings > Display, gestures & buttons > Sleep

Mine seems to like killing its battery, but going to see how long it lasts for both general use, gaming, and getting the maximum life out of it. Don't expect the 13hours general usage like the iPad mini mind :p

To adjust time for the screen going to sleep: Settings > Display, gestures & buttons > Sleep

Mine seems to like killing its battery, but going to see how long it lasts for both general use, gaming, and getting the maximum life out of it. Don't expect the 13hours general usage like the iPad mini mind :p

Ah missed that cheers :) - was on auto sleep

I'm no photographer, but this is what I took last night. Turned on 'Night Mode', pointed it to include Jupiter, and shot. I'm no photographer, so Jupiter is just in shot :D

IMAG0027_zps0730f1ed.jpg

That picture is full size (supposidly), with -1 sharpness and directly off the phone.

Last edited:
I wouldn't base too much on what gsmarena think since they appear to have got a really crap model, most likely preproduction model running old software (which has problems like the iso issue). Their photo samples are the worse that I have seen so far.

And then the HTC one s camera improved a fair bit with an update, either sense v4.1 or 4+

and unfortunately gsm don't update their reviews at all even if an update makes a big difference in one or more areas :( :rolleyes: hopefully they will do a separate review/article on the 4.2.2 update for the one like they did with jb and the x

Ya their image shootout looks really bad but as you mentioned hopefully they had a really early buggy unit.

Let's hope they update their review (they have done in the past for major software updates) as GSM arena's the common man's goto for mobile reviews and will impact sales to some extent.

The camera seems to perform great in night/dark conditions, this shot impressed me a lot:

Supposedly no filter/effect:

IMAG0059.jpg
Can even make out the clouds :eek:

Some amazing photos by the one here:

http://www.mobile01.com/topicdetail.php?f=566&t=3290031&last=42869747

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pottokao/

(some have been edited in lightroom/photoshop or by using the auto enhance effect/feature in the gallery)

It seems like you definitely need to reduce the sharpness by one or two, 0 is too aggressive and is pretty damn noticeable when you zoom in, I messed around with it on my S yesterday and have settled for -1, if you plan to edit the photo in lightroom/photoshop later on then set the sharpness to -2 as it is easier to work with and you can apply much better sharpening.

Another in depth interview about the camera:

http://pocketnow.com/2013/04/03/htc-ultrapixel-interview

Last edited:
I do, but with a phone that's used everyday, bit of change in the pocket, sticking it on the table, the odd accidental drop all adds up. My Sensation was perfect with a protector.

My Sensation is perfect without a protector, just as my Desire was before it.

Look after your stuff and you don't need to wrap it in cotton wool.

Why wuold you put your phone in a pocket containing loose metal objects?

[TW]Fox;24058911 said:
My Sensation is perfect without a protector, just as my Desire was before it.

Look after your stuff and you don't need to wrap it in cotton wool.

Why wuold you put your phone in a pocket containing loose metal objects?

I've seen you're concerned about tethering and you also have a bust HTC Sensation and are looking for an HTC One. Have you seen the deal a couple of pages ago?

Found a good deal on this for anyone interested:

HTC One Black - FREE
Orange Panther 36 (18 month contract)
400 Mins
Unlimited Texts
750MB Data

£36 x 18
= £648

4 months FREE by redemption (-£144)
Your £144.00 saving is available by redemption in 5 stages: £28.80 at month 6, £28.80 at month 9, £28.80 at month 12, £28.80 at month 15, £28.80 at month 18

£100 quidco cashback (-£100)
for all 18 month contracts
EXCLUSIVE RATE EXPIRES IN 4 DAYS

Total: £404

At dialaphone.co.uk

Orange apparently allow free tethering on Panther tariffs, and if 750mb wasn't enough, you can buy an additional 500mb data bundle for £5 or a 1GB bundle for £10.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom