***The Official HTC One Thread***

@stoosh

The only things I really want improved with the S is screen size, res. pretty happy with everything else currently so a small tablet would in some ways be better for me when I think about it, sure the one and GS 4 bring nice improvements in the majority of areas, main ones for me being the one's speakers, camera overall and both devices screens (especially the GS 4 screen ), but its not like the one S and other last gen. phones are slouches in the likes of the camera, battery, performance etc. department and for me, not worthy of the £380+ price tag (baring in mind, the one S is worth hardly anything now especially when mine has those wee nicks from the drop ), in order for me to give that much money, it has to be a good/very noticeable upgrade overall, if you know what I mean. Bit like how I am with my PC, only upgrade when I really need to!

Of course if the X or/and nexus 5 are amazing and even better than the one and GS 4 then I might change my mind

Yes the HOS is very good phone and still can hold it's own in today's market and is a very decent device with a solid screen so if you're happy with it, there's not really an incentive to move onto a "better" device, although the Nexus 4 comes close, the only thing that lets it down is the camera and the battery if you haven't rooted and installed a kernel.

I'm sure that one of these forthcoming devices will tempt you from your HOS! :p

People really are crazy, I thought people would have grown out of this sort of behaviour by now.

The big advantage of Android is that you can choose from a wide variety of manufacturers, so you really can just pick a phone that offers the most complete package without having to worry about app compatibility etc. I have an S2 at the moment and if I was buying a new phone now I'd favour the One over the S4. Why people restrict their choices through blind loyalty baffles me.

Unfortunately that's the way it goes in the world and especially in the tech industry and the likes of you and I and other people on this forum are very rare who would buy a phone that is the best one out at that moment in time.

Owned

i9100
i9300
i9305

Want

HTC One

just waiting on flawless build levels and I'm in

There you go...someone who isn't closed minded when it comes to phones. I have a similar phone history to you Dude and bought the HO :D

Yup it is pathetic the way people choose one device over another purely because of the brand name, unfortunately it is a huge part of sales/popularity.

Many average joes would go for Samsung, Sony devices due to them being well known and generally having good devices all round (HTC only do phones, nothing else) where as many many many people will never have heard of HTC or/and assume that they aren't as good, as someone else said, average joes would view HTC as we would view ZTE, Huawei etc. devices :(

Exactly it is a just that and the amount of money you spend on advertising and push products down average joes gob! :p

Samsung have been extremely adept at advertising and making sure that the Galaxy brand is extremely visible to the public. They've done very well at pushing the Galaxy S3 as a decent alternative to the Iphone, not to mention the publicity it gained when it came to the infamous lawsuit that further pushed Samsung into the public's awareness.

[TW]Fox;24190457 said:
There is at least one post in the S4 thread where somebody says 'The HTC One, is, well an HTC' as a reason for choosing the Samsung :p

Well that somebody was me fox and I ended up cancelling my s4 pre order and buying the one so it just shows you when a manufacturer gets it spot on it doesn't matter what they've done in the past. This phone is a joy to look at and use and I know I made the right decision.

See that's fine, what's crazy is people saying they want an S4 because it has SAMSUNG in block caps above the screen :p
yea those people are pathetic imo. i buy whatever i fancy. dont give a crap about the logo:rolleyes:
Just shows you can win a grammy for any old **** :D

haha why dont you google the neptunes and see what songs they have produced. :)

They are brilliant producers hehe.

They even produce rock songs that i know some of you old timers like.;)

Can I just start by saying I was a die hard htc person years ago, up until the point where I was blessed with a sensation which I found to be poor in signal.

I would like to ask you guys that are just going to 'live with' the little defects in your phones whether you would buy a new premium car (lets take BMW for example) and be happy with the bumper not being correctly aligned, or the headlights being wonky?

I can't understand people buying a premium device and being happy with something that isn't essentially perfect?

haha why dont you google the neptunes and see what songs they have produced.

They are brilliant producers hehe.

They even produce rock songs that i know some of you old timers like.

Exactly, even with N*E*R*D Pharrell Williams and co. produced some astounding tunes. I've seen the Neptunes and N*E*R*D play live a couple of times and the energy from their live sets is infectious.

The thing that annoyed me at the store was the demonstration unit (actual phone, not the toy ones) was pretty much perfect, all edges smooth and gaps minimal, clearly cherry picked. Just holding it made me want to buy it. :rolleyes:

Couldn't live with all the issues mentioned i.e. by titanium, although I would need to feel the "sharp" parts first, could live with the tiny gap and screen not being exactly flush with the rest of the device.

Why am I not bothered about those two things? Because they aren't even a full mm and every phone that I have seen/used has several gaps and they all look to be the same size as what we have seen in the photos posted in this thread, from seeing GS 4 reviews etc. I can see a gap all the way around where the back part connects to the rest of the device (and just below the screen), a gap around the camera lens

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2013/04/dsc05710-1366741454.jpg

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2013/04/dsc05555.jpg

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2013/04/dsc05553.jpg

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2013/04/dsc05538.jpg

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2013/04/dsc05492.jpg

That doesn't bother me at all in the slightest and I doubt that anyone will be even mentioning about those gaps in any GS 4 thread.

Now if there was a gap on the part where the "zero gap" term applies, then I would perhaps be a bit bothered about it, but would I return the device for a new one if we are talking about a very tiny gap, probably not.

As for the screen not being flush with the rest of the device, if we are talking about it being very tiny again as shown in here, then that wouldn't bother me in the slightest, again the only device(s) where this isn't an issue (from my experience) are on devices where the entire front is glass like the nexus 4, GS 3.

Personally for me the rest of the build/perceived quality and not to mention design are still far above the GS 4 etc.

EDIT:

Yup stoosh, I really like the nexus 4, could swap my S for one, but the camera and lack of features stop me from doing so :(

Last edited:
I don't mind the gaps too much either, it's not not something unseen in these devices. What bothers me is the dodgy workmanship around some of the polycarbonate cutouts; it's like someone used a hacksaw on it. Then there's the fact that the demo unit at the store I went to had perfect cutouts, which stinks of poor quality control if you ask me. Not good enough for a £500 phone.

An now there's the dead pixel on mine, even at 460+ppi, I can notice it.

Can I just start by saying I was a die hard htc person years ago, up until the point where I was blessed with a sensation which I found to be poor in signal.

I would like to ask you guys that are just going to 'live with' the little defects in your phones whether you would buy a new premium car (lets take BMW for example) and be happy with the bumper not being correctly aligned, or the headlights being wonky?

I can't understand people buying a premium device and being happy with something that isn't essentially perfect?

Because every phone I've ever owned has had them? People need to get a grip and have a read up manufacturing tolerances.

Back
Top Bottom