***The Official HTC One Thread***

HTC never quite done enough to regain momentum after they failed so miserably in the GSII era, the GSII was so far ahead of the Sensation in every area that it couldn't even be called a competitor.

I think a combination of that plus this long lingering QC issues has lead to their slow fall from their once lofty heights. Which is really a shame as they design easily the best looking Android handsets on the market.

That said I'm not sure they are done yet, the One is truly their best work yet and I'm sure it has been doing fairly well.

I still stick by my 3 main reasons as to why they are failing :p

- marketing; not just the quality of ads, but the sheer amount, everywhere you go all you see is Samsung galaxy s4 stuff and they know how to counter attack any bad stuff and they do it extremely quickly i.e. regarding all the bad press about limited storage:

X73sQayh.jpg

Just like the film and game industry, the amount of hype/market for the majority of stuff and it generally always sucks in the end where as most of the time, films and games that are actually good and are/could be game/film of the year have hardly any marketing and do crap :(

- sales commissions i.e. not bribing the network/phone shops enough in order to push their devices onto the customers i.e. the other week when looking at both in the network/phone shops: HTC one shoved with all the other devices where as the galaxy s4 has its very own stand and the device isn't clamped down anywhere as much and you even have a wee display notice beside the phone saying something like "call for assistance to demonstrate the features" and everywhere you look, you just see GS 4 posters.... this is where HTC and other companies fail big time and is what cost them their sales, X company could have the very best product by miles, however, what is the point if you have Y company that has a device, which isn't as good but are paying/bribing the shops more in order (more than other companies) to push their devices onto the customers?

- brand presence; ask any average joe about HTC and they most likely won't have a clue who they are where as everyone knows who Samsung are, heck even my mum knows of them and she doesn't know or want to use any computer device (except her lumia 800 which is just for calls and texts) and has no interest in them at all, same for quite a few other people I know. And any average joes that have heard of HTC probably view them as we would view ZTE etc. :(

And then other little things i.e. their naming scheme is just awful and what they call their features i.e. zoe for the camera/gallery where as Samsung have a clear and good name and have a unified name for their features i.e. smart status bar, smart stay, smart scroll, smart pause etc.

But yes, the sensation was terrible or better put, the GS 2 was just away ahead of its time and give Samsung a good strong base to work from. The desire HD was a joke of a phone, terrible screen, crappy camera etc. and then the whole range of phones just didn't help matters.

QC will have very little impact to sales overall imo i.e. the GS 4 has more serious issues than just cosmetic issues (which most average joes probably wouldn't even notice :p) i.e. overheating, screen (pink/purple tint, red pixels, smearing/ghosting, screen glass/AMOLED panel cracking/breaking), performance issues in real world usage, audio issues and then the whole fiasco with the sudden death issue, which affected pretty much ever note II and GS 3 device, however, the GS 4 is selling extremely well. EDIT: The thing I find annoying regarding this area is yes HTC do have more QC issues generally but it is because they change their design etc. every year where as other companies i.e. Samsung keep the same manufacture process and similar design so have had time to perfect it, not to mention the creation of the HTC chassis would require a lot more work and be a more complicated process compared to working with non-unibody plastic. Also, imo they are probably the best when it comes to fixing/solving the issues, were very good and quick with the one S and X issues where as other companies either say it isn't an issue and don't bother doing anything about it or at least take their sweet time i.e. black iphone 5 "scuff gate" and "you're holding it wrong" with the iphone 4 :p :o You would think that it should be the other way round and HTC giving those sort of responses...

Last edited:
This is why HTC puts a MicroSD slot in chinese and japan HTC One variants

Because the Chinese version of the One is designed specifically for the smaller Chinese radio bands, we do have additional space inside the device we were able to use for the microSD slot. That space isn't available to us in the global version.

Jeff Gordon - Senior Global Online Communications Manager

But yes, the sensation was terrible or better put, the GS 2 was just away ahead of its time

I'm sorry but I cannot agree at all. The GS2 was typical Samsung - slam as many of the latest features into the device as you can, wrap it up in a cheap and nasty exterior and smear it with a horrendous custom UI, followed by extreme levels of marketing.

The GS2 had a fantastic screen but other than that I fail to see where it made the Sensation look 'terrible'. I looked at both and picked the Sensation - it just felt like a better device to me. It looked better, it felt better made and the entirely metal body was wonderful. At almost 2 years it turned into one of my most longest-used phones ever and this wouldnt have happened if it was terrible - I have no reason to put up with terrible handsets.

But this is the power of Samsung marketing I guess.

The SII had a bigger battery, more RAM, seemed to perform better and IMO TouchWiz was less in your face than Sense on the Sensation. Overall the SII was a good package of hatdware and software features, they weren't taking the kitchen sink approach that they are currently taking IMO.

Different scenario today though because the One and S4 have pretty identical real world performance and the One has more pleasant software and hardware aesthetics. The kitchen sink approach Samsung are taking has lead to a terrible user experience IMO.

[TW]Fox;24327420 said:
But this is the power of Samsung marketing I guess.

You think there marketing made us think it was a great phone? That's kind of insulting to us, thanks.

[TW]Fox;24327420 said:
I'm sorry but I cannot agree at all.

Honestly, I think you're in the minority. I would say the S2 was far superior to the Sensation. Just because the S2 had a plastic back people equate this to poor build quality, I would disagree. The S2 was so well put together, very sturdy. One of the first things I noticed about the Sensation was how the phone interior rocked back and forth inside the 'shell'. For me, once again poor build quality from HTC.

But I'd rather not go back into those arguments from 2 years ago...

The S2 was undoubtedly the better phone on paper but it didn't feel as nice as the Sensation, nor was TouchWiz as nice as Sense at that time (some might say it still isn't :p). Aside from that though it was well beaten in most areas.

I had the same issue as Andy above with mine (I still have it), the interior doesn't fit perfectly in the shell so there's a bit of movement. Which is annoying.

I wanted a Sensation before I got my S2, I was very glad it was out of stock when I went to order & I ended up with the S2, While the build quality of the Sensation was decent(by this I mean the materials), The battery life was pretty much awful, screen was no where near as good & as others have mentioned the S2 was more powerful overall.

My sisters Sensation has caused her no end of problems, She was actually going to go for the S2 in the beginning but it was out of stock so ended up with the Sensation roles reversed for her, A mistake she still rues today.

She cannot wait to get shot of it. Its nothing in the marketing, It was quite simply a crap phone compared to the S2.

Last edited:
My bad!

Did I mention the speakers on this thing are awesome? :p

The amount of guff installed though is annoying, I don't need Amazon, Ebay, Dropbox, Facebook, Twitter, Soundhound.

None of those I have any intention of using ever!

Last edited:
The thing that annoys me about HTC is that they come out with a masterpiece like the HTC One, which is now just another phone in the now completely diluted the "One" brand (even if it is a crap brand name) due to the HTC One X/One S/One XL/One X+/One 1234+xyz/One lolwtfbbq.

Even someone who is into technology like me couldn't tell you the difference between these phones. People didn't know what the flagship HTC device is because the used the same basic name to describe every phone in their lineup.

With the HTC One, they should have scrapped the crap "One" name, started fresh and used a new brand name so people actually got to know what the top HTC device was. Then they should have ONLY used this name for the flagship devices.

And don't even get me started with the HTC First (Facebook Phone). I still can't believe they thought it'd work. It just annoys me that a company like HTC can get things so right (HTC One/HTC Desire), but get so many other things wrong (everything else).

Last edited:
TBH, I think the facebook phone would have been more popular if they didn't go and release the app for it straight away, what was the point of having the first phone if they were going to do that :confused:

Regarding the sensation VS GS 2, won't get into all the details :p but pretty much what dasyad said, it was just an overall better phone and not by a bit either. Yes the design/build etc. and software is up to the end user but touchwiz performed so much better due to GPU/hardware acceleration and wasn't any worse than sense back then when it came too bloat, it wasn't as pretty looking although I thought it looked pretty decent (for back then). And more importantly, software updates for that phone, Samsung will be providing 4.2.2 with the new touchwiz for the GS 2, where as the sensation is still on ICS :( If it was purely marketing then I would be the first to call it out! :p :D

HTC offering $25 Google Play credit to compensate for One shipping delays

Good move imo, again you don't see other companies doing things like this :p Wonder if other places outside America are getting this too?? (it just say HTC shopAmerica for now.......) If you experienced a delay try to contact them via chat and see :p

HtIGFWi.png

Last edited:
Such a shame.

I echo Nexus' wish that Google buy them up and merge them with Motorola (although I think it's more likely Microsoft would get there first - HTC have some good assets still like their stake in Beats audio etc. that would be very welcome in any tech conglomerate).

In other less depressing news; I've taken delivery of a Poetic Palette SLIM Premium Hard Case for HTC One from the Rainforest.

Much cheaper than the Casemate Barely There and not as garish as the Poetic Atmosphere case (and half the price). Not that I can compare it to either of those, but the Palette seems nice. I was initially concerned (having not owned a snap on case before) that it doesn't connect all that well. However, I've tried to shake the phone out of the case and not succeeded which is good. It's a very very slim, polycarbonate(?) shell case with a nice grippy feeling to it. It's got a tiny lip over the screen on the long edges, but doesn't protect the top and bottom front edges.

I can live with it. Although it's not going to be quite as good in a fall scenario as a silicone or tough case.

£4.95 - good price IMO.

EDIT: Since I bought mine from Rainforest (ordered over the weekend) they seem to have added £4.95 on top for delivery. Bit of a shame but still reasonable compared to the Casemate Barely There IMO

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom