***The Official HTC One Thread***

Soldato
Went to try one in tesco today, the lady who worked there said get the s4 as the camera on the one is not very good..

It kinda put my wife off as the camera is important for her.

The shutter speed was awesome though how does the gs4 shutter compare.

Pro-tip.

Don't listen to the clueless bonus chasing idiots in stores and read up at home before you buy.

This is especially true when buying TV's more than anything else, but phones do fall into the same category.

Caporegime
She mostly uses it for shots of our toddler, needs to be fast as she is very fast lol. At the moment her Arc s is doing quite a good job, im sure the pictures on the htc one will be at least as good as those of the arc s?

Apart from that she uses it for facebook, whatsapp, youtube and odd bit of browsing. The only thing that really worries me is the QC.

Personally I would say the one then, especially since with zoe mode, there is virtually no blur issues then, it is very good at stopping motion i.e.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=40283798#post40283798

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=40317224#post40317224

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=40463973#post40463973

Plus the burst mode works really nicely too i.e. you don't have to select burst mode first, just hold the shutter/camera button down and that is it.

And then a neat little thing with sense is if you have the camera shortcut in the dock of sense launcher, it will show on the lock screen and you can just slide it up to open the camera app even if you have a pin/password, no need to enter it, plus you can stay in the camera app and lock the screen and the camera will still remain "open" and ready to use once you unlock the device again.

This guy has some amazing photos of his kid, although he does a quick edit via snapseed:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/40392289@N07/

And yes, it should be better than the arc S!

If she crops them or zooms in, then the one won't be as good as other higher MP phones.

I would say that you should be fine getting a good one, most of the units should be better these days, the only real issues to look for are the usual things i.e. dead pixels, dust under the screen and other stuff. I wouldn't consider things like the tiny tiny tiny tiny gap at the top and bottom where the speaker cover attaches to be an issue since it isn't part of the "zero gap" machined body or the screen not being exactly flush with the rest of the front (unless it feels lose)

Associate
Pro-tip.

Don't listen to the clueless bonus chasing idiots in stores and read up at home before you buy.

This is especially true when buying TV's more than anything else, but phones do fall into the same category.

Tesco staff don't get paid a bonus.:rolleyes:

And she partly right as the S4 camera is better in some area's ie less noise in daylight, more detail, ability to crop & better HDR.;)

Last edited:
Associate
Well over a week on and I've still not heard anything regarding my case being escalated into an investigation, I've attempted to get through to my contact a couple of times now but he's both times been out of the office but a chap I've just got off the phone to now has stated that from what he can see, there are no new updates on the investigation as no notes have been added his end and the request to call me back when it's been looked into is still pending hmm...

It's taking longer than expected as I was told and given the impression that this would have been looked into within 2-3 working days. I'm going to give them until Friday as that is the final deadline of when I should have heard back from them. So if I'm still getting no where, what do you reckon I should do guys? I have been compiling a massive summery/report on everything that has been going on and if I'm still getting no where I want to send this in an email to someone really high up at HTC.

Liam

Soldato
Went to try one in tesco today, the lady who worked there said get the s4 as the camera on the one is not very good..

It kinda put my wife off as the camera is important for her.

The shutter speed was awesome though how does the gs4 shutter compare.

http://youtu.be/jpiPzgBJU9M

watch this and it'll sum everything up :) htc one is better in low light but s4 wins in day light - which is probably where 90% of the people will take their pictures :)

and always remember we have some hardcore fanboys and owners of the "one" here so its better to watch an unbiased review like the one i posted above.

Soldato
Surely that was only because you were giving it a very hard scene light wise to keep focus on. There was bright sunlight coming in from all those door openings and you were circling the bikes and therefore constantly changing the light dramatically. The rest of the video seems fine :confused:

I wouldn't say so no. Bright light might make it struggle to find the right exposure, but shouldn't effect focusing. Low light maybe, bright should be easy.

As I think I said, a lot of the time I've edited out the focus bouncing, on the clip I linked, I couldn't really do so as I was moving round the bikes.

Also, the S4 does nothing like this at all...

Last edited:
Soldato
Thought the same there too personally.

I also think people are far too anal about certain things on a phone, Hell it wasn't all that long ago that we had crap phones!

The camera is a very important part of a mobile to me. They way my One bounces focus like it does can hardly be called me being anal. (Granted, you don't say I am and may be referring to other people's issues.)

Maybe everyone else's doesn't do this, but I sent mine to HTC twice and they sent it back twice saying it's fine, so what am I to judge on? :(

Man of Honour
My HTC One is being odd today.

It has no signal, but I still have the 'H' icon for data. Bizarrely, despite having no signal it happily browses the internet without a problem, nice and fast. Wifi is disabled.

It also makes calls :confused:

Associate
The camera is a very important part of a mobile to me. They way my One bounces focus like it does can hardly be called me being anal. (Granted, you don't say I am and may be referring to other people's issues.)

Maybe everyone else's doesn't do this, but I sent mine to HTC twice and they sent it back twice saying it's fine, so what am I to judge on? :(

Got the One yesterday and I noticed that the focus can be very fickle. I have been using the original Galaxy for a bit now and even that is capable of taking better photo's than many of the shots that I took with the One which is fairly shocking.

Soldato
I got my FOURTH handset delivered from EE today and opened it with, frankly, disinterest after so many bad quality examples.

NO dust under the screen.
FLUSH panel fitting.
NO gaps.
WORKING camera.

Finally, after a week, I have a normal handset.... so far, touch wood lol. I can't believe how much of a hassle it was, but it seems I got there in the end. I'm almost too scared to look too closely in case I find something haha. :D The aluminium is machined properly, there are no jags or gaps in the plastic and everything's nice. Result!

Permabanned
[TW]Fox;24434040 said:
My HTC One is being odd today.

It has no signal, but I still have the 'H' icon for data. Bizarrely, despite having no signal it happily browses the internet without a problem, nice and fast. Wifi is disabled.

It also makes calls :confused:

This happens to me all the time.. have to restart the phone.

So sending mine off for 'repair tomorrow'
List of faults
  • Screen not flush
  • Wifi breaks and phones needs restarting
  • Mobile data breaks and phone needs restarting
  • Phone sometimes overheats randomly (Crashes after getting to hot which fixes it..) no apps running or anything
  • Phone just crashes sometimes randomly..

All of these are intermittent so no idea how they are really going to test them.
Also has anyone sent a cosmetically damaged phone to them? Did they get the same phone in return? Dropped mine this morning and theres a nick on the corner..

Soldato
Am having really really slow internet speeds despite being on H all the time - running speedtest it doesn't go above 0.5Mbps down when before I would get 4Mbps - which is slow as I'm sure this phone can go at 10Mbps or more (when not on an LTE contract!).

On T-Mobile - wishing I'd moved to 3 as their HSDPA network is pretty nippy from what I've heard!

Associate
Am having really really slow internet speeds despite being on H all the time - running speedtest it doesn't go above 0.5Mbps down when before I would get 4Mbps - which is slow as I'm sure this phone can go at 10Mbps or more (when not on an LTE contract!).

On T-Mobile - wishing I'd moved to 3 as their HSDPA network is pretty nippy from what I've heard!

Try the SIM in another phone as it might just be T-Mobile throttling you, which is fairly common for them :rolleyes:.

Soldato

Could that not be T-Mobile's throttling? I'm on EE and get 55Mbps down and 15Mbps up so the chipset is certainly capable. 0.5Mbps seems a rather arbitrary number to not be throttling... maybe.

e: Ginger stepchild, etc... :p

Soldato
Really weird - annoying more than anything as I'd expect 'good' speeds pretty much in any major city in the UK these days but was in Worthing today and it was as bad!

I restarted the phone and it's back to 4Mbps and 1.5Mbps up/down respectively which is rubbish - it's never gone above that for me and yet the twitter T-Mobile people said there's no cap on my line "apparently" :/

Back
Top Bottom