***The Official HTC One Thread***

Also, there is a new codec out, which means you get the same quality but at half the size!

http://www.androidauthority.com/h-265-codec-151562/

Obviously, it will still be some time till this becomes the norm though! Hopefully it will happen soon......

Can't wait till it does, as it means I could free up about half of my 3.5TB storage on the PC.

Aside from the OTG solution, I'm normally connected to wifi 95% of the time so when I want to watch a film or listen to some music I just stream them from my media box over the 'net - yup - 1.5tb of storage directly accessable from my phone ;-)

Same!

Except 3.5TB of data :p ;) Kona beats us both by quite a bit! :mad: :p iirc he has about 8TB???

Last edited:
Meh I've never had any problems. It's pretty clever at caching music and recent playlists etc. without you noticing and I'm on GiffGaff unlimited. I frequently use it on train journeys from Bristol -> London and the coverage is patchy at best, but it seems clever enough to switch between local songs and streamed songs when it needs to without interruption.
I love it and it's the one thing keeping me from trying an iPhone tbh!

Ok I bite, I was originally ignoring this phone since I thought it would be a 5 incher, but looking at the measurements it's just within my comfort zone in holding a phone (I have small hands :(). Will still wait for MWC next week before making my mind on my next phone though. What bugs me is that there's only a back button and home button... and you need to long press them to emulate the recent apps/tasker button...

I think I'd agree the 32gb version will be plenty in all honesty - I'm doing fine with an sd card of the same size in my DHD so built into this phone should be perfect really - not that 64gb would be bad!

Bring on the release date ... Is the UK version going to be LTE capable (can't remember seeing?)

Wow saw the phone on site, OMG what a beautiful phone, very light, i was with the HTC rep which was in the manchester today and i was shocked, i was told that EE will be taking pre orders tomorrow, which is a good thing, cant wait for it to be mainstream, CPW states i will be £500+, the one i saw in the shop was still the factory prototype the rep said to me which he recieved today... who knows maybe there will be a final tweak for the networks, but beside that i am very impressed

I think I'd agree the 32gb version will be plenty in all honesty - I'm doing fine with an sd card of the same size in my DHD so built into this phone should be perfect really - not that 64gb would be bad!

Bring on the release date ... Is the UK version going to be LTE capable (can't remember seeing?)

Depends on the next request, for EE it definately going to be LTE not sure about other network, maybe it is combined like a on and off switch or an auto detect..

Same!

Except 3.5TB of data :p ;) Kona beats us both by quite a bit! :mad: :p iirc he has about 8TB???

MyHDDs_zps3bef5754.png

12.5TB internal :p

Same if not more mirrored to external drives :D

Some very good info. about the htc one camera (taken from android central forums)

As a huge camera geek as well as smartphone geek, the amount of misinformation about the "Ultrapixel" sensor is really annoying me. I just wanted to post to clear somethings up.

Assertion 1: Megapixels don't matter

This is true to a point. For the vast majority of users, 4 MP is enough for a smartphone. You're probably going to downscale the image to post online anyhow. Even a 1:1 pixel image on a relatively big monitor is 1920x1200. That's about 2MP. Unless you're going to print these on paper at a big size, the MP don't matter much. That is, unless you plan to crop your images a lot. Then you may notice it.

Assertion 2: Bigger pixels (Ultrapixels) collect more light, hence they have less noise

While it is true that a bigger pixel will collect more light and have less noise than a similar small pixel, this is noise at the PIXEL-LEVEL. So if you view your images enlarged to a 1:1 ratio on your monitor, the 4 MP of the HTC One camera will look cleaner than the center 4 MP out of the 13 MP of a Sony Experia Z. However, we don't view pictures like this. We view images as a whole. If you have an image sensor the same overall size as the HTC One's with the same everything but split into more pixels, the resulting image should look very close to the HTC One's once you scale the image down to 4MP. It is not a fair comparison to compare at the pixel level without scaling because then you're comparing only the part of the image that fell on a fraction of the higher MP sensor. (Note, higher MP counts DO make a difference when scaled, but not by much. It also depends on how the imaging portion of the sensor scales with non-imaging circuitry.)

Assertion 3: The image quality of the HTC One will be superior to the current smartphones

If you don't need images of more than 4MP, this is true. And it's not really because of how big those pixels are. It's all about good Signal to Noise ratio. and the HTC One has many things in its advantage. First, the sensor is overall bigger. It is 1/3" sized instead of 1/3.2" like the iPhone 5 or Samsung Galaxy S 3. A bigger sensor means you can collect more light. Secondly, the lens is a F/2.0 lens versus the F/2.4 of the iPhone or F/2.6 of the GS3. That means half a stop more light entering due to a larger aperture. (A one stop increase is equivalent to double the light.) Thirdly, HTC is touting an image processor with low read noise. That means they can turn up the ISO sensitivity with less noise. And finally, the HTC One sports optical image stabilization. That means it should be able to use a longer exposure time while remaining sharp. Of course, that's for relative static subjects. All four of these contribute to a higher S/N ratio, so less noisy pictures.

In conclusion, I'm very excited about the possibilities with the HTC One camera. But not because of the "ultrapixels." It's because of the sensor size, fast lens, low read noise, and image stabilizer. Actualy, it shares a lot of specs with the Nokia Lumia 920. 1/3" sensor, F/2.0 lens, and Optical Image Stabilization. I'm hoping quality is at least on par with that.

Sounds very nice!

Indeed! Looking forward to it!

I wouldn't mind if the camera remained as good as the GS 3 and one series phones for most conditions (as they are already excellent! as shown here and throughout the GS 3 etc. threads), however, excelled in low lit/night shots and smoother video (920 whips the other phones asses in those conditions), however I would be disappointed at the same time in some ways that it didn't improve overall compared to last gen phones. I also hope that they have sorted the colour/lighting balance as with the one series phone if you have a lot of white and extremely bright light is shining i.e. full on sun then you just get a white glow (unless you are focussed on the white object)

Well I knew it looked similiar to the BB but the Xperia too :eek:... *mind-blown*

Look at the bezel on the Z10! :D

All modern phones look the same. The One (ugh, totally crap name) is the first to have a full one piece aluminium unibody, the plastic strips/antennas on the back are essential. Brilliant if it works, plastic end caps have always been one of HTCs weaknesses.

It's defiantly innovative and makes the Z10/Xperia look a bit cheap. (Shame Sony ditched the Xperia P/S design in favour of the iPhone 4 clone look for the Z :()

Back
Top Bottom