***The Official HTC One Thread***

I was going to say the iPhone looks better in that picture.

Don't get me wrong the pictures aren't bad but for how much hype it has I don't think it's mind blowing, it's good just like the GS3, iPhone 5, Xperia Z etc.

@Robbo

Honestly can't believe that :confused:

You have opened the photos in new tabs and flicked between them, right? :p

You can't even compare to the GS 3 considering you/we have no idea what the GS 3 photos are like for those exact scenarios! :p

@grudas

Of course when you zoom in, the quality won't look as good, but looking at the image from the normal size/view point (which I do most of the time and I would imagine the majority of other people do too)

Besides, both look like crap there :p

What do you think when looking at them without zooming in?

I've quickly cropped these two pictures down:

pE2fLXK.jpg

5FfzhYe.jpg

The grass looks sharper (not necessarily better) on the HTC, but the objects themselves look better on the iPhone.

I think the flower is pretty much even, the HTC One seems to capture the surface detail a little bit better but that's only on the right hand side of the flower, due to how its focused.

All in all - the camera seems to be just the same as the current gen ones on the iPhone 5, GS3, HTC One S/X etc.

Either way, there's barely anything in it.

I was going to say the iPhone looks better in that picture.

Don't get me wrong the pictures aren't bad but for how much hype it has I don't think it's mind blowing, it's good just like the GS3, iPhone 5, Xperia Z etc.

exactly :) the whole ultrapixel thing is over hyped :)

it clearly is a good camera but nothing groundbreaking like HTC wants to make out.

each camera seems to be better in different places.. night shots for lumia, macro for w/e, videos for galaxy etc etc..

all of them will be good but making out that it is the best is a bit dumb + it is a risky move by htc, i've seen people go "wuut only 4mpx camera no way am i buying that" etc etc... and they will be the majority of customers.

@grudas

Of course when you zoom in, the quality won't look as good, but looking at the image from the normal size/view point (which I do most of the time and I would imagine the majority of other people do too)

Besides, both look like crap there :p

What do you think when looking at them without zooming in?

i prefer the iphone and you know me i am not a huge fan of "apple" in general :) but yes iphone's picture looks cleaner/better overall than HTC's does :confused:

im judging from what i see, when we get the final version out and proper reviews in it will be easier to say but for now im not that impressed with the image quality, but i do love the features on it.

Ah, if you are zooming in/cropping them down then yeah the image won't look much better and then you could argue about which is better/worse (in which case the iphone 5 wins), but when looking at them from just standard view points, the one is considerably better then.

Early camera tests are always quite useless so wait until people actually have the device properly and do a real test (ie. loads of pictures in identical conditions).

Ah, if you are zooming in/cropping them down then yeah the image won't look much better and then you could argue about which is better/worse (in which case the iphone 5 wins), but when looking at them from just standard view points, the one is considerably better then.

Forgetting cropping, just looking at them in the browser they seem fairly similar overall. The picture of the woman hasn't come out that well on the iPhone but the HDR mode/focusing differently would immediately fix that.

Either I need to get my eyes tested :o or you lot do! :p

They just look much better to me when comparing both from the standard size in terms of colours (mostly this), lighting and detail/clarity.

I resized the iphone photos to match the one (width is a bit different though) and put them side by side so it is easier to compare.

HTC one on left, iphone 5 on right (this is just to show the difference in colours/lighting between them):

t53v44.jpg

zk1o45.jpg

dcyq9f.png

25us9ib.jpg

mm7r06.jpg

And here are the resized iphone shots only:

http://i45.tinypic.com/2drihie.jpg

http://i49.tinypic.com/u4f0i.jpg

http://i45.tinypic.com/14vtjbm.jpg

http://i48.tinypic.com/28vgh1x.jpg

Guess will just have to agree to disagree on this for now :p

Hopefully it won't be long till review sites get their review units :) (with the final software update! :p)

Wow, this thread really is busy in terms of discussion and now it's finally got the correct title thanks to Nexus! :p

I am going to reply back to a comment made by Nexus back on Page 15

A very good observation made by you in relation to Samsung's advertising tactics. I was walking past an EE store the other day and just happened to glance in. I noticed that the S3 was connected to a big flat screen TV and was clearly being differentiated from all the other phones on display.

Samsung must be seriously be paying some cold hard cash to phone shops to highlight their phones.

In my local shopping centre there's a Samsung stand where they're pushing their Galaxy range really hard.

I think the more Samsung put in advertising wise, the more they get out, brand awareness is the key.

Samsung have got it down to a fine art and it's a good thing, but I really wish they would move away from using plastic materials, it really is off putting. I certainly won't discount not getting a S4, however I need a change and want to move away from the masses who carry around an iphone and a Galaxy device.

The HTC One is the perfect device differentiate yourself from the masses.

I like the picture showing the supposed "innovation" that HTC have taken in terms of developing the look of their device, it shows perfectly the route they took.

On another note I hoping that the HTC One doesn't have the same problem as the HTC One S when it comes to the chipping issue.

It's a good phone and certainly a decent alternative to those who want to move away from Samsung. However the two button issue is also playing on my mind.

My point is that - whether it's slightly better in favour of either phone - the differences are very small.

The only picture with a significant difference is the last one, and that's most likely due to the focus or something.

I don't get why just having 2 buttons is such a big issue :confused:

On my DHD there are 4 buttons...

Home - which I hardly use even for swithing between tasks - retained on One
Menu - this is now a software button on the One
Back - Always use this - retained on One
Search - Never use

Am I missing out / unaware of some funky functionality or something that you guys can't live without?

Nice HTC One and Iphone 5 comparison pics Nexus, in general each picture from both devices has it's advantages and disadvantages.

However the software could well change (and is most likely to) prior to the release of the HTC One.

No doubt there'll be another thread posting up comparisons, but I must admit the HTC One camera is pretty impressive but not as innovative as HTC suggest.

Wow, this thread really is busy in terms of discussion and now it's finally got the correct title thanks to Nexus! :p

Only took 4 or so RTM!!!! :mad:

:p

I am going to reply back to a comment made by Nexus back on Page 15

A very good observation made by you in relation to Samsung's advertising tactics. I was walking past an EE store the other day and just happened to glance in. I noticed that the S3 was connected to a big flat screen TV and was clearly being differentiated from all the other phones on display.

Samsung must be seriously be paying some cold hard cash to phone shops to highlight their phones.

In my local shopping centre there's a Samsung stand where they're pushing their Galaxy range really hard.

I think the more Samsung put in advertising wise, the more they get out, brand awareness is the key.

Yup, this is why!

http://i47.tinypic.com/30k3fbm.jpg

Samsung have got it down to a fine art and it's a good thing, but I really wish they would move away from using plastic materials, it really is off putting. I certainly won't discount not getting a S4, however I need a change and want to move away from the masses who carry around an iphone and a Galaxy device.

Indeed! They really need to get in on the aluminium uni-body action now as it is just too good and makes me want to avoid any plastic phone (even if the design is nice) now. The one S has spoiled me, so going by anandtech's comments on the one compared it the S, it sounds like it is even better!

On another note I hoping that the HTC One doesn't have the same problem as the HTC One S when it comes to the chipping issue.

There is talk about that on XDA, the silver model should be fine but iirc we won't know until people start getting the black model, hopefully htc learned from the one S and this time will use a different method or have made the edges more smoother/curvier as the problem with the first one S and iphone 5 is that the edges were too sharp.

Search - Never use

Am I missing out / unaware of some funky functionality or something that you guys can't live without?

Main issues are:

1. the lack of menu gesture/tweak thus you the 3 dot menu button on the bottom of the screen, wastes screen space and looks stupid
2. is stupid having to double tap home in order to bring the multi-tasking button
3. there was no need to change the way the buttons were on the one S/X

Could live with it, but it is just annoying that 3 dot menu button (and a lot of the apps on my phone still have it :( even if there is a menu button in the the app)

[RXP]Andy;23812783 said:
I don't think it is from what I have seen.

Lumia 920 Vs HTC One

Lumia 920

http://www.neowin.net/images/uploaded/1_wp_20130221_006e.jpg[/IMG
[IMG]http://www.neowin.net/images/uploaded/2_wp_20130221_002%5B1%5De.jpg[/IMG

HTC One

[IMG]http://www.neowin.net/images/uploaded/imag0039e.jpg[/IMG
[IMG]http://www.neowin.net/images/uploaded/1_htcone1.jpg[/IMG[/QUOTE]

Seen those earlier, they do look bad, but going by other low lit shots produced by the one, they look too bad in comparison so again, this could be similar to the 920, GS 3 etc. when they first came out and then received software updates to improve the camera i.e. consistency in photo quality

Here is the same guy's thoughts on the lumia 920 when it was first released (reviews stated similar things too)

[url]http://www.neowin.net/news/review-nokia-lumia-920[/url]

Also, he mentioned this here with the one VS 920:

[QUOTE]The lighting delivered by the HTC One appears closer to the amount of lighting I perceived at the time[/QUOTE]

Just have to wait and see, the hardware in the one is better than the current phones as has been proven by all the articles/specs. so it just comes down to the software/driver optimisation in the end as it is extremely important as proven.

Last edited:
@Nexus Better late than never eh? :p

Re the expenditure graph...you reap what you sow and Samsung have put some massive amounts of cash in and I'm not surprised at the results. HTC should take note if they are to capture that coveted no.3 spot in the smartphone world :D

I absolutely adored the One S design, it was so thin and sleek but I was terrified by the chipping issue and had to keep the HOS in a TPU case which detracted from the looks of the phone and also the ergonomics.

I certainly don't want HTC repeating the same mistake with chipping because that will make a massive dent in terms of their confidence. They need to fly high with the One.

Let's hope this is HTC's year :D

I think those images from the One look a bit too off, really need to wait for some final straight up comparisons, but it looks pretty good thus far, still not sure on the large grill design top and bottom.

Search - Never use

Home, Back, Multitasking, Menu.

These are the buttons that are required for daily use and are standard ICS+ buttons.

The problem with the menu button sounds like it will be the same as the issue with the ONEX before a software update. Many apps show that button at the bottom, showing the button also shows the whole bottom menubar (the same menu bar that shows on phones with zero buttons) it takes up a lot of space and is extremely annoying in order to show one measly button that could have easily been a hardware button.

It would not bother me if there were no hardware buttons on the phone, as then the bar would contain 3 - 4 useful buttons. I hope to god that they have added an option within the phone settings like they have on the ONEX that allows you to longpress the menubutton in order to open the menu instead of the soft button.

Below are a couple of screenshots from my phone before and after that update to show that even with a launcher app it is wasting space.

Back
Top Bottom