***The Official HTC One Thread***

Good hands on review by this guy, does very very good in depth reviews of all the big smart phones:

http://www.neowin.net/news/hands-on-with-the-htc-one

Naturally I was skeptical about a few things relating to Zoe: the battery consumption from taking a short clip rather than a still photo is potentially an issue, especially as the device is constantly capturing the scene to facilitate the before-shot footage. Each "Zoe" also uses up more storage than a standard photo - I heard 4 MB per "image" but it could be more than that - so you might find storage filling up quickly.

It does make you think how long the 32GB storage will take to get filled up. I think Google Music and Dropbox will have to be relied upon a lot more.

I must say the Silver device does look great, the more I look at it the more it's growing on me.

I know how you feel about white devices Nexus...but would you even consider the Silver option? :p

Home, Back, Multitasking, Menu.

These are the buttons that are required for daily use and are standard ICS+ buttons.

The problem with the menu button sounds like it will be the same as the issue with the ONEX before a software update. Many apps show that button at the bottom, showing the button also shows the whole bottom menubar (the same menu bar that shows on phones with zero buttons) it takes up a lot of space and is extremely annoying in order to show one measly button that could have easily been a hardware button.

It would not bother me if there were no hardware buttons on the phone, as then the bar would contain 3 - 4 useful buttons. I hope to god that they have added an option within the phone settings like they have on the ONEX that allows you to longpress the menubutton in order to open the menu instead of the soft button.

Below are a couple of screenshots from my phone before and after that update to show that even with a launcher app it is wasting space.

What theme is that?

@stoosh

Indeed! :D Need to hire a new mod or assign someone else to this sub-forum! :p

As I said before, Samsung don't need to do much at all for the GS 4, just release the same phone as the GS 3, improve the specs a bit, whack a 1080P SAMOLED screen in and market the **** out of it again and the phone will still sell far more than any other android device and the majority of people will still think it beats every other phone by a country mile! :o :p :(

It will come down to if they have rushed the manufacture process etc. in the end, hopefully they haven't and I "think" we should be fine given the problems with the one S (which were quickly sorted/fixed within a month or two) and HTC seem to have been working on the one for quite a while and put a lot more thought into the design etc. and supposedly the making of the aluminium uni-body takes quite a long time!

I actually like the silver a lot (if it had been "white" yuck! *Spits on the ground* :p), as you said, it is also growing on me (love the back), but naturally I would probably go for the black/grey :p

@muffins

raYJjyV.png

EDIT:

Actually, I don't think they have done the MAO process/finish like the black one S........

All the places are focussed on the silver model instead :/

EDIT 2:

It is a black anodized finish

Last edited:
@stoosh

Indeed! :D Need to hire a new mod or assign someone else to this sub-forum! :p

As I said before, Samsung don't need to do much at all for the GS 4, just release the same phone as the GS 3, improve the specs a bit, whack a 1080P SAMOLED screen in and market the **** out of it again and the phone will still sell far more than any other android device and the majority of people will still think it beats every other phone by a country mile! :o :p :(

It will come down to if they have rushed the manufacture process etc. in the end, hopefully they haven't and I "think" we should be fine given the problems with the one S (which were quickly sorted/fixed within a month or two) and HTC seem to have been working on the one for quite a while and put a lot more thought into the design etc. and supposedly the making of the aluminium uni-body takes quite a long time!

I actually like the silver a lot (if it had been "white" yuck! *Spits on the ground* :p), as you said, it is also growing on me (love the back), but naturally I would probably go for the black/grey :p

EDIT:

Actually, I don't think they have done the MAO process/finish like the black one S........

All the places are focussed on the silver model instead :/

EDIT 2:

It is a black anodized finish

That's ruthless and cold Nexus! :eek:

You're right there with Samsung, they don't have to do much but it'll be interesting to see how they evolve Nature UI and Touchwiz in general.

Interesting couple of videos there with regards to the process! Where on earth do you find them as a point of reference? Do you stalk Youtube? :p

The Silver is nice, it's very unusual but prefer to be on the safe side and stick with the black!

Well that's great news, it's a different finish to the HOS and if I recall and is similar to the Grey HOS :D

I can put the chipping issue to the back of my mind! :cool:

Personally I don't see having 2 buttons a real concern - Iphones only have 1 (but that's a whole other story)

Also having the best camera isn't a big deal to me, as long as it's better than the DHD then bonus!

I think it looks superb and has fantastic hardware, I can finally use Ivona instead of standard TTS as my wake up alarm to tell me the time and weather - was too soft with rear speakers. It's just lacking an RGB LED

Three have them for pre-order at £34 x 24 months + £69 one off - I initially wanted black but the silver is tempting me now.

I'll probably wait a week after release and see if there's any glaring issues that need to be sorted first but yeah, I can't wait for it :)

Taken from XDA re the missing button issue:

I have been at the exclusive HTC One event in Cologne yesterday and asked them about exactly this problem. They showed me that you can change the behaviour of the back button. Single Tab will be "back", press and hold will be "menu-button". So this wont be really a problem. Furthermore the multitask is extremely fast and responsive, no comparison to multitasking with the One X! You can see all tasks in ONE view and dont have to scroll from left to right only to find the right task...this sucks @ One X!

That's ruthless and cold Nexus! :eek:

You're right there with Samsung, they don't have to do much but it'll be interesting to see how they evolve Nature UI and Touchwiz in general.

Interesting couple of videos there with regards to the process! Where on earth do you find them as a point of reference? Do you stalk Youtube? :p

The Silver is nice, it's very unusual but prefer to be on the safe side and stick with the black!

Well that's great news, it's a different finish to the HOS and if I recall and is similar to the Grey HOS :D

I can put the chipping issue to the back of my mind! :cool:

Perhaps :p

Yup, as I said in the other thread, Samsung are going to have to do a lot more than just a "nice" design and improving touchwiz (unless they bring the same camera features as sense V5) as well as bumping the specs up slightly in order to tempt me away from this.

Maybe....... ¬_¬

Nah, just from other forums :p

If they had a model where the front was completely black and back was silver then I think that I would go for that......

Yup, the grey one S is anodized aluminium and has no chipping issues whatsoever! :)

Excellent news about the menu tweak! That is essentially my main dislike/deal breaker about the phone gone now! :cool: Still bloody stupid not having a 3rd dedicated button instead of that stupid htc logo though! :mad:

All that is left, which I am curious about, is the battery life, expecting very good things for this area! (to be better than the DNA, one XL, GS 3 but not quite as good as the note II)

Last edited:
Perhaps :p

Yup, as I said in the other thread, Samsung are going to have to do a lot more than just a nice design and improving touchwiz (unless they bring the same camera features as sense V5) as well as bumping the specs up slightly in order to tempt me away from this.

Maybe....... ¬_¬

Nah, just from other forums :p

If they had a model where the front was completely black and back was silver then I think that I would go for that......

Yup, the grey one S is anodized aluminium and has no chipping issues whatsoever! :)

Excellent news about the menu tweak! That is essentially my main dislike/deal breaker about the phone gone now! :cool: Still bloody stupid not having a 3rd dedicated button instead of that stupid htc logo though! :mad:

All that is left, which I am curious about, is the battery life, expecting very good things for this area! (to be better than the DNA, one XL, GS 3 but not quite as good as the note II)

Samsung have quite a fair bit to do! :D If rumours prove to be true that Samsung will be ditching the Exynos chipset for the Qualcomm chipset, however do you remember how the American variant was poorly optimised and almost crippled?

It's good to research from other forums! Where else can we get all the info from and share it with other users on OCUK! :)

Now that would've been an option, and would have looked like a killer device!

That's two of us sorted with our issues about the phone! It is still pretty stupid what HTC have done, they have bamboozled quite a few potential customers with their decision. Battery life shouldn't be an issue as the chipset will prove to be extremely frugal when it comes to sipping juice from the battery. Previous reviews from the HTC Butterfly and Droid DNA which both have smaller batteries have been praised in regards to the battery life so I feel that it shouldn't be a problem. ;)

Time to scoot across to Rainforest and put an order in. I have a £55 voucher burning a hole in my pocket! :p

A very cool demonstration of "zoe" and the editing features:

Unfortunately HTC seems to be marketing the blink feed feature the most, which imo is pretty damn crap (nothing exciting), should be marketing the camera stuff more, followed by the audio and then talking about battery life etc.

Another area where Samsung whips HTC ass in regards to marketing etc. is the names for features, samsung have a unified name, which links everything together, smart stay, smart view, smart alert etc. where as HTC have completely different names for everything, zoe, boom, blinkfield etc.

@stoosh

Yup, in some ways it is good and other ways it is bad:

1. better for the android market/apps in general as it means one less chipset to work with for app developers and thus even better quality/optimised apps, also will benefit the developing community greatly!
2. Samsung either can't do a good job with the optimising drivers/software for the qualcomm chipset or they just didn't put the time and money into it as they did with exynos chipset
3. "Overall" qualcomm is better imo i.e. power efficiency and heat produced amongst other things

Indeed :) XDA is where I find most of the info. out, awful forum but good for finding out little things :p

Yup, smaller screen + bigger battery (& li po instead of li lon) than DNA/BF + next gen qualcomm chipset, which iirc consumes up 40% less power than the current s4 pro at max performance + sense V5 is possibly even better for power efficiency = excellent battery life ;) (hopefully :p)

The question is......... will you bottle it once the GS 4 is announced and cancel your order then? ;) :p

I've quickly cropped these two pictures down:

pE2fLXK.jpg

5FfzhYe.jpg

The grass looks sharper (not necessarily better) on the HTC, but the objects themselves look better on the iPhone.

I think the flower is pretty much even, the HTC One seems to capture the surface detail a little bit better but that's only on the right hand side of the flower, due to how its focused.

All in all - the camera seems to be just the same as the current gen ones on the iPhone 5, GS3, HTC One S/X etc.

Either way, there's barely anything in it.

Now take pictures in low light......

Just watched that hands on video that you posted stoosh, showed more of sense V5, looks really good, they have got rid of the embossed/bold effect with the UI and have definitely made it more minimal/cleaner looking now :cool:

Shame that nothing about the "X" phone will be shown until May, don't think I can wait that long! :p :o

Still can't get over how some of you guys think there isn't much, if any difference between those photos from the one and iphone 5, showed a few friends the photos and they all thought that the one photos looked far better (especially the flower and portrait photos) in terms of colours, exposure/lighting.

You can make a case for them looking a bit better in some situations, but far better? No chance! The difference just isn't there.

If you threw a load of HTC One pictures in with iPhone 5, GS3, One X pictures, etc, there's no way you'd be able to tell which ones are which.

However, the camera test seems a bit rubbish to say the least, so we should wait until someone does one properly before coming to any conclusions. So far, not remotely impressed.

Brilliant video Nexus :D

Look how easily the HTC One glided through editing. It's amazing how easily it handled everything that the user in the video threw at the phone. Very fast and fluid. I'm impressed! :)

Samsung seem to have everything sorted and I guess they have a much better R&D department who come up with these clever names (financially Samsung have a lot of clout) whereas HTC have fallen from grace of being the no.1 and innovative manufacturer when it comes to Android. They're trying to get the glory days back which they know have gone and now they have an immense battle on their hands :eek:

It is a good thing if Samsung adopt the Qualcomm S4 600 chipset for the S4 it will be superb and like you said it will greatly benefit the Dev community.

I still don't understand why they adopted the dual core Qualcomm chipset for North American markets and used the Exynos processor for European and Pan Asian markets.

In regards to the poor performance of the American S3 I think it's a combination of both poor programming and didn't really put the time and effort into it.

Qualcomm is better as proven by HOS/XL vs Tegra 3 (HOX)

I'm not going to go into slating other forums but at least over here we're almost always friendly and hardly ever flame other users, which is a refreshing change.

Trust me I won't be cancelling my HTC One order, come the 15th March I shall be flaunting the phone! HTC don't exactly give me the frights like Sony do! :eek:

I will be getting the S4 as well. You should know me by now! LOL!! :p;)

EDIT:

Sense v5 really does look good in the video doesn't it Nexus? That's the first thing that came into my mind, very clean and it looks like HTC have adhered to Google's look and guidelines.

The "X" phone will be a game changer if all the rumours surrounding it prove to be true. I for one can't wait!

Last edited:
Phone arena have posted those photos up on their site now.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/HTC-...les-surface_id40089#7-Portrait-Apple-iPhone-5

We have to warn you, though, that the shots were captured on a pre-release version of the HTC One with non-final software, so the images might improve in the final version.

Their "opinions" on the two:

Flower pic:

In macro photography the HTC One also performs superbly with its wide-angle lens and again capturing more light and detail.

Portrait:

This is the image where the difference between the two is most apparent. HTC One gets the right exposure while the iPhone 5 overexposes the image.

Low light:

In low-light the two have comparable performance with the brighter and slightly better looking image coming from the HTC One. Still there is way too much noise in both pictures.

Indoor bright light:

In the studio, the HTC One's UltraPixels capture more light and well balanced colors.

outdoor:

Outdoors the two have comparable performance with the biggest difference coming from the more vivid, slightly unnatural colors on iPhone while the One has bleaker, more true-to-life colors.

Another little feature of sense V5, might make the iphone owners more willing to jump over now :p

HTC One will be able to import data from iPhone backups

Brilliant video Nexus :D

Look how easily the HTC One glided through editing. It's amazing how easily it handled everything that the user in the video threw at the phone. Very fast and fluid. I'm impressed! :)

Yup! :D I think I will no longer have any need for adobe photoshop CS6 now ;) :p

I still don't understand why they adopted the dual core Qualcomm chipset for North American markets and used the Exynos processor for European and Pan Asian markets.

Something to do with the way the networks work over there iirc i.e. 4G and plus the first/normal GS 3 model didn't support 4G

In regards to the poor performance of the American S3 I think it's a combination of both poor programming and didn't really put the time and effort into it.

Qualcomm is better as proven by HOS/XL vs Tegra 3 (HOX)

Yeah HTC did a fantastic job with sense and optimising it with regards to performance and power efficiency on the snapdragon chipset

I'm not going to go into slating other forums but at least over here we're almost always friendly and hardly ever flame other users, which is a refreshing change.

Indeed! That is why I try to stay away from the likes of XDA etc. too many fanboys and plus a bunch of members who have no clue at all and just flame each other

Trust me I won't be cancelling my HTC One order, come the 15th March I shall be flaunting the phone! HTC don't exactly give me the frights like Sony do! :eek:
I will be getting the S4 as well. You should know me by now! LOL!! :p;)

Will be expecting lots and lots of photos, videos etc.! :D :p

Sense v5 really does look good in the video doesn't it Nexus? That's the first thing that came into my mind, very clean and it looks like HTC have adhered to Google's look and guidelines.

Yup! Wasn't sure about it at first but that was more so because all the videos were just concentrating on blinkfeed (which I am not fussed on) and zoe (the camera UI isn't as good as what it is currently on V4+), but now that some glimpses of the rest of sense is being shown, it is looking really good. Still have yet to see the dailer, clock/alarm etc. apps, only caught a quick glimpse of the messaging app but it looks pretty similar to sense V4+ but cleaner/minimal too :cool:

Last edited:
Getting back and looking again that really better be some kind of early software on those images, no where near good enough of a good enough difference to make people consider it.

Back
Top Bottom