***The Official HTC One Thread***

The one is a lot better in low light than all other phones except the 920!

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=38341650&postcount=302

http://www.androidaustralia.com.au/...ustralia-htcone-20130221-DSCF4868-300x199.jpg

Going by those photos I think the one produces more natural/realistic lighting conditions than the 920 in the low light shot and the 920 looks much better for night. One looks too bad in that night shot, I would say that the current one series phones would produce a better shot :p

The low light photo is a blurry mess but I am pretty sire that is due to camera shake or/and not focusing properly.

I think the sharpening is fine, from the i5 vs one photos, imo the one photos looked clearer with a bit more detail (when not zoomed in)

Last edited:
Though the reviewer stats he got the focus wrong on the 920, not going to know for sure till they have out of the box finished One and some side by side tests but it looks good.

To be fair it's most important comparison will be against its android flagship peers over the next few months. But on that performance it is looking good.

Both are using different settings, those pics aren't directly comparable.

The 920 is almost using a 1 second shutter speed and ISO 800.
The "One" is using a 1/7s shutter speed (0.14 seconds) and ISO 2000.

Even with the higher ISO and crappy JPG engine the "One" has better dynamic range in most areas. We'll need to see pics in a 'night time landscape' mode for a 920 comparison. The "One" should be able to do ISO 800 with a faster shutter speed if the IS as good as the 920.

From reading user opinions that have been lucky to get their hands on one, this is their opinions (taken from XDA):

- audio is VERY loud and much clearer than any other phone i.e. gs 3, one X/S, iphone 5
- cell reception/call quality is very good
- GPS locks on very quickly
- internet tasks are carried out extremely quickly

Must resist!

From reading user opinions that have been lucky to get their hands on one, this is their opinions (taken from XDA):

- audio is VERY loud and much clearer than any other phone i.e. gs 3, one X/S, iphone 5
- cell reception/call quality is very good
- GPS locks on very quickly
- internet tasks are carried out extremely quickly

Must resist!

The Note 2 is all of those things!

Just saying :p

Pfffft! :p

BTW mrk what do you think of the iphone 5 VS htc one photos? We need a pro/true photographer's opinion on them! :p

GSMarena has posted the photos up now and given their opinion:

http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_one_vs_iphone_5_camera_shootout_surfaces_we_compare-news-5590.php

Both phones at 8MP

Since both phones shoot in different resolutions, for the first round of comparisons, we upsized the HTC One samples to 8MP (with generous sharpening afterwards) so as to see whether it's able to resolve as much detail as a regular 8MP camera. The performance here would be important if say, you would like to print your photos in large paper sizes.

When upsized to 8MP, the HTC One amazingly holds its own and resolves almost the same level of detail as the iPhone 5 in the low light studio shot. Unfortunately, this is no longer the case on the rest of the shots, where the light is better.

In better light the iPhone 5 has a clear advantage, even though, its noise suppression routine does have some sort if an issue with the grass. It kinda smears the detail in the grassy areas, but that's more of a factory setup issue than a deficiency of the camera module itself. You can see the clear advantage in the foliage. The other two crops show a further advantage to the iPhone 5.

Downsized for sharing

Then we figured that many people don't print their photos but only share them online. On most websites the photos get downsized anyway so the maximum resolution doesn't matter that much. So we went this route, too. We downsized the originals from the iPhone and the HTC One down to 1500px horizontal resolution, which is about 1.6MP. Facebook can surely handle those sizes, we checked.

It would be wrong to think that the process of downsizing would be only to the HTC One advantage. Downsizing lowers the perceivable digital noise, so the iPhone's photos benefit from that operation just as well.

Downsizing the photos of both cameraphones levels out the playing field a bit better. Unfortunately, the iPhone 5 mostly retains its superiority in resolved detail even when you downsize all samples to 1.6MP. The outdoor scene with the grass is the only scenario where it loses to the HTC One and that's mainly due to the noise suppression, which kicks in and smears the grassy patches. For the rest of this specific scene, the both phones seem to resolve the same amount of detail.

Conclusion

Overall, we were a bit disappointed that we didn't see the promised spectacular improvement from the newly developed camera system of the HTC One. Sure, it equaled the iPhone 5 in resolved detail in one or two cases, which is great having in mind it's half the resolution, but most of the time the results were of lower quality.

We don't mean to say the HTC One takes bad pictures - it's just on the contrary, they are quite good and we bet the optical image stabilization will help it take much better photos in low light when handheld as compared to most other smartphones.

But is it a worthy camera for an expensive flagship phone in 2013? We are not so sure - don't forget that a phone with a good 13MP camera will be in an even more advantageous position than the 8MP iPhone 5. And we will surely see many more 13MP shooters come out in 2013.

We can't help but feel that HTC is a year late to the market with this type of camera sensor. Sure, high megapixels are not all, but having the biggest pixels around is not enough either.

Heading to specsavers tomorrow as I still think the htc one photos are better (when not zoomed in/cropped), especially in terms of colours/lighting :p :o

Pfffft! :p

BTW mrk what do you think of the iphone 5 VS htc one photos? We need a pro/true photographer's opinion on them! :p

Hmm I think the HTC One photos look more jagged, straight edges look too processed as if they've been resized without any resampling. They're the worst 100% crops I've seen from a current gen phone. Not even the Galaxy S2 gets images that jagged! I am guessing though that the One's settings were changed as it looks like it was left in a low quality mode.

The iPhone 5 pictures look the cleanest from that comparison.

Colours I ignored because white balance differences in software can change but lighting the HTC doesn't overexpose in those pics but that again would be down to settings used for metering. They don't say what each camera app was set to although I just skimmed the text :p

God my eye sight must be terrible! :o :p

I think the settings were just left on default and left the focus to be done automatically, not 100% sure.....

The thing I find weird is that they didn't mention a single thing about the portrait photo and that is without a doubt where the biggest difference is (in favour of the "one" by a huge chunk imo)........ :/

Have been reading what other people think on other forums/comments and there seems to be a very divided opinion, much saying the same as myself and then others saying the same as what you and others here have been saying.

Plus it is to be expected that the photos on the iphone 5 or any other current phone will look much better in comparison when they up scale the photos of the htc one to 8MP, they are just degrading the quality by a huge chunk as shown. Should up scale the iphone 5 photos by the same amount and then see how it looks....

EDIT:

In fact they didn't even show the "original" images, just up and down scaled :/

Plus just noticed that they said "generous sharpening" (whilst also up scaling to 8MP), what the hell?!?!? That just makes things worse.......should have left the image untouched and only compared the original image without any adjustments and then compare the photos when zoomed in/cropped, test is completely stupid/biased, not like gsmarena to do such a poor article like this.

Hopefully will get some much better/proper tests with the final software/unit soon.

Last edited:
Have been reading what other people think on other forums/comments and there seems to be a very divided opinion, much saying the same as myself and then others saying the same as what you and others here have been saying.

I think that the fact opinion is so divided proves that it isn't a huge improvement (going by current impressions/samples).

It may be an improvement, but at best it's a small one, at worst it's not actually any better at all; possibly worse!

I spoke to the shop near me earlier and they said the black model will be 1-2 weeks behind the silver model... I wonder if it will be like that everywhere.

Plenty of time for them to tweak the camera its new, the 920 had issues when it came out and tweaks made it far better. The important one for me is low light as this is where cam phones have stumbled, any cam phone can take reasonable shots in good lighting conditions, the One and 920 are the only ones that do a decent job so yeah its an improvement over what's out.

I want to see low light video as this is another area improvements are needed as all current phones out are bad in this area apart from the 920 which does better.

EDIT:

In fact they didn't even show the "original" images, just up and down scaled :/

Hopefully will get some much better/proper tests with the final software/unit soon.

When I first read about the Ho's camera I was intrigued, when the comparison shots were shown in thread I pretty much disagreed with Nexus on every shot but sorta doubted my eyes or the photographer, IMO the Ho shuda been better :confused: maybe the above is why so it's still up in the air till we get some properly set up shots, good find Nexus, as it stands with the flagships I'll be going for the Note 3.

Doesn't look like that will work now, can only get the Media Link from third party sellers.

Edit: Amazon will let you order it even though it's out of stock, so it's fine.

Last edited:
I think that the fact opinion is so divided proves that it isn't a huge improvement (going by current impressions/samples).

It may be an improvement, but at best it's a small one, at worst it's not actually any better at all; possibly worse!

Speaking to everyone I know who has used one I don't think you could be any wider of the mark. This thread reminds me of when the S3 was being announced.

Personally the HTC One excites me like no other device has for a long time.

Speaking to everyone I know who has used one I don't think you could be any wider of the mark. This thread reminds me of when the S3 was being announced.

Personally the HTC One excites me like no other device has for a long time.

I'm talking purely about the camera, not the phone itself.

Overall I think the phone is great, despite the front being a bit dodgy looking.

Back
Top Bottom