***The Official HTC One Thread***

It shouldn't, although I am sure that you can change the refresh rate to "never/manually only". Can you not go to settings>apps>blinkfeed and then hit "disable"?

It shouldn't, although I am sure that you can change the refresh rate to "never/manually only". Can you not go to settings>apps>blinkfeed and then hit "disable"?

Probably! I just read that it has to be one of the home screens (not necessarily the 'home' home screen), which means it would always be running to some degree. But I suppose this is just tied to HTC's launcher, using an alternative should hopefully solve that problem.

I'll be removing sense and flashing a custom ROM at some point. Till that time I'll give sense another chance. My first experience of it was on my HTC desire. Since getting rid of sense and using a custom ROM ide put this phone against most modern stock phones in basic everyday tasks.

This phone really is going to be the best of 2013, doubt anything Samsung comes close to the design and amazing build. Should have a really nice camera, hopefully better battery life, the camera should also be really good. Can't wait to get one into work for testing.

Probably! I just read that it has to be one of the home screens (not necessarily the 'home' home screen), which means it would always be running to some degree. But I suppose this is just tied to HTC's launcher, using an alternative should hopefully solve that problem.

Yup, it is pretty much just a homescreen but with a big news widget on it :p

I would be surprised if there wasn't an option to stop it from automatically refreshing etc. if you can't disable the app.

When you swipe to the right, you get standard android homescreens where you can add other widgets and shortcuts etc.

I'll be removing sense and flashing a custom ROM at some point. Till that time I'll give sense another chance. My first experience of it was on my HTC desire. Since getting rid of sense and using a custom ROM ide put this phone against most modern stock phones in basic everyday tasks.

Sense back then on the desire was beyond awful :p V4 and higher are FAR better and imo the best skin overall today.

V5 is looking even better, more minimal/cleaner looking and closer to stock, better MT window, zoe etc. Just a shame that they haven't brought the stock android battery stuff back though and lost that stupid power saver notification bar in the notification tray :(

HTC One allows for 'distortion free recording' with dual membrane microphones

A little information about the HTC One and BoomSound has been made available today, concerning the quality of audio captured by HTC's latest device. Very few of us know or care about things like the membranes over the microphone in our smart phones, but we all know what it's like to record some audio and hear the dreadful "hiss" when we play it back. It's also a great way to ruin an otherwise awesome video you've recorded. And it happens far too often.

HTC has found a way to correct this by using a twin-membrane microphone. Normally, only one membrane is used on a standard smart phone microphone, which means the sounds you want to hear aren't really separated from the sounds you don't want to hear, and loud, high pressure sounds can cut the mic completely. When the software does its job of leveling and equalizing the audio, we're often left with a background hiss and low levels. HTC says the twin-membrane setup will help make that a thing of the past.

With two microphones, each having a twin-membrane setup, there's more room for the mic to capture the sound you're trying to record via the extra sensitive membrane, while the high pressure membrane can handle the loud sounds that would normally shut a sensitive mic down.

It sounds like a lot of voodoo that would be interesting to an audio engineer, but if HTC is correct and the outcome is "distortion free" then we all have reason to be excited.

This phone really is going to be the best of 2013, doubt anything Samsung comes close to the design and amazing build. Should have a really nice camera, hopefully better battery life, the camera should also be really good. Can't wait to get one into work for testing.

I don't this HTC is particularly special. Moto X is the real wildcard imo.

This is probably old news, but the guy in the EE shop I was in earlier today was adamant that the phone will be released on March 8th...

Not heard/seen anything about this myself, I've not seen anything different from the March 15th release date!

^^ Nice, I went in 3 and o2 and had a look at a dummy One and a Sony XZ, the dummy Ones felt much better in hand than the actual Z, a case should take care of the previously mentioned sharp edges, the Ones were there in black and grey and were an improvement on the silver and felt great in hand, looking forward to seeing a real one.

Unless Sammy do wonders the One will win out in the design and materials categories at least Sony and HTC appear to be in the running this year with the One being a good contender.

^^ Nice, I went in 3 and o2 and had a look at a dummy One and a Sony XZ, the dummy Ones felt much better in hand than the actual Z, a case should take care of the previously mentioned sharp edges, the Ones were there in black and grey and were an improvement on the silver and felt great in hand, looking forward to seeing a real one.

Unless Sammy do wonders the One will win out in the design and materials categories at least Sony and HTC appear to be in the running this year with the One being a good contender.

+1 My sentiments exactly.

HTC need to market the cr*p out of the HTC One, as they really need a hit on their hands.

Year on year their revenue is down 47% :eek:

I don't this HTC is particularly special. Moto X is the real wildcard imo.

In terms of build I think it sets a new standard, the thought and quality in this phone is above even the iPhone 5. It gets all the signal magic in some tiny amount of space, NFC with a unibody metal case. That is just amazing, its the only thing that I would take my hat off too and I don't think anyone could beat it.

Unless Google make something similar to the new Chromebook, that would be amazing, perfect hardware and software in 1 package, cause as we know sense still sucks.

Any news on OS updates from HTC yet? I know it's probably too earlier to say. Would be nice if they kept on top of it.

They have confirmed that the XL, S and X will be getting sense 5 in the coming months (cut down version though). Although can't see any phone getting sense V5 for at least another 4 months if JB/sense V4+ is anything to go by, but then again, they will only be updating from 4.1.1 to 4.1.2 so who knows.........

cause as we know sense still sucks.

Comes down to personal preference really.

imo it is the best oem skin by quite a bit these days.

- unified feel throughout the apps, widgets etc. Even stock android feels disjointed throughout, this is one area that I hate about android in general
- professional/nice looking imo, not keen on the white backgrounds etc. but it looks good enough and is better than having a cartoonish looking theme with a black background like touchwiz
- overall the apps are very good and complete especially the camera app, imo it is the best by a mile (effects/filters, slow motion recording, more options like the 16.9 or 4.3 format, the best camera ui and the way it works overall is very nice) as well as the browser (modified quick thumb controls, text reflow, flash works, fast and smooth too and most importantly no rendering text/web pages the wrong way), gallery app is also feature rich
- very well optimised for performance and power efficiency, probably the best oem skin in this area actually

Sense V5 is looking even better from what I have seen so far, more minimal/cleaner looking and moving closer to the stock android UI design (in terms of layout)

Only downside of sense in my eyes is the:

- power saver notification
- battery chart

imo it is the best oem skin by quite a bit these days.

- unified feel throughout the apps, widgets etc. Even stock android feels disjointed throughout, this is one area that I hate about android in general
- professional/nice looking imo, not keen on the white backgrounds etc. but it looks good enough and is better than having a cartoonish looking theme with a black background like touchwiz
- overall the apps are very good and complete especially the camera app, imo it is the best by a mile (effects/filters, slow motion recording, more options like the 16.9 or 4.3 format, the best camera ui and the way it works overall is very nice) as well as the browser (modified quick thumb controls, text reflow, flash works, fast and smooth too and most importantly no rendering text/web pages the wrong way), gallery app is also feature rich
- very well optimised for performance and power efficiency, probably the best oem skin in this area actually

Sense V5 is looking even better from what I have seen so far, more minimal/cleaner looking and moving closer to the stock android UI design (in terms of layout)

Only downside of sense in my eyes is the:

- power saver notification
- battery chart

Sense 5 seems much better, much less overly flashy crap going on, I generally find all OEM skins are just horrible now, before ICS I find them ok. But now Google has really been pushing the design of android and I really like the way most things are done.

I hope they keep the camera app similar to the 4.2 versions once they upgrade I.E the thumb controls, it really is amazing.

In terms of optimised for performance I have always found touch wiz is faster overall, even on older harder and HTC phones in general aren't exactly know for great battery life. The DNA did seem to be better but I think they could do a lot more.

Sense does look better then touchwiz but I really love the video playback in touchwiz and nothing really comes close too it, even to this day. Its quiet amazing how it basically runs everything, and takes a very small amount of battery life compared to all other phones. Things like AAC isnt very well supported yet on most of the 3rd party ones like BS player, and is something I miss on the Nexus 4.

I havn't tired Sense 5, but I think its a step in the right direction in some parts, but I personally would rather have stock. It is also slightly disappointing that it is not releasing with 4.2, as we know S4 will be and HTC updating has been less then stellar.

See I hated the OEM skins even more before ICS! :p

Stock android is great but the only thing I find myself wanting from it is the theme, it is just gorgeous :cool: Although again, it is annoying the way some apps are white and then other apps are black and blue.

Personally not too fussed on the quick thumb controls for the 4.2 camera app, find that it takes longer and more fiddly to change a setting than the way it is on sense and touchwiz. They are a godsend for the browser though.

Before sense V4, I hated it, had very poor performance and power efficiency, touchwiz was vastly better in these areas i.e. the sensation VS GS 2 at time of release. The one X with V4 was very poor but that was more so due to tegra 3 and poor software optimisation (pretty much fixed with JB/sense V4+ now) as the one S and XL were blazingly fast and smooth and from my experience better than the GS 3 etc. (both with ICS), with JB running now, there isn't much of a difference though.

The XL and S both have great battery life (with 4.1.1 on my S, less so than ICS, however, iirc this is due to 4.1.1 and should be fixed with 4.1.2), 1S and GS 3 are more or less the same but the XL is better overall (not a huge difference though), the one x is poor due to tegra 3 and poor software optimisation. The DNA is extremely impressive, especially considering the screen res. plus size and then combined with a 2020mAh battery, better than the majority of phones aside from the beast phones for battery i.e. note II, RAZR MAXX.

Can't really comment on the video player performance/power efficiency as I don't watch a load of videos, but from the stuff I have tried (which is stored on the phone) it plays really well with the stock player (use BS player instead) i.e. 1080P/720P blu ray X264 etc. MKV's etc. with DTS/AC3 sound.

Yeah, I find it rather annoying too but as the HTC software update guy said regarding 4.2, it is as buggy as anything especially battery life (which has only really been fixed now with 4.2.2, most phones won't be getting this update for a LONG time) and doesn't really bring anything new to the phones (photosphere is the only good thing really, HTC already have gesture/swype typing on their keyboard, a good lockscreen with quick access to apps, SMS, calendar dates etc.), plus it would take longer for them to get the update tested and approved etc. where as with 4.1.2, they could spend more time on optimisation so performance/power efficiency etc. is even better.

Ideally my perfect software would be; to have the Samsung smart tweaks, sense browser, camera and gallery apps, stock android software optimisation and have motorola's UI/theme (pretty much stock android but more unified throughout and uses black more instead) all in one! :cool: :p

Last edited:
I really hated how Android looked before ICS, and anything was better :D, GB was okay but I still hated it.

And yes It is very annoying how android apps are half white (Google Now, Gmail) and others are black/blue. I find my self generally liking the design more of Google now/iOS Gmail and Maps and I really hope Google push android in that direction.

Very interested to see how the camera performance on this, love how HTC didn't care to join the MP race like ever other OEM, and how good the 600 is with battery life.

Back
Top Bottom