***The Official HTC Sensation thread***

Man of Honour
mmm, a bigger push away from the sgs2 is that I actually hate the look of it, that big bottom button just screams iphone knockoff at me. That rolled with I'm sick of being bleeding edge are the last nails in the coffin. For my personal pref anyways :)

Most phones have a button of some sort at the bottom of the screen... :p

Much better than having to use the power button to wake the phone like on the Desire HD, I assume this will be the same.

It looks a good phone but the people who are getting it seem to be trying hard to convince themselves its the one they want!

Most places ae quoting realse of 19th of May 2011. I noticed back a page someone quoted 16th June. Anyone shed any more light on this?

Vodafone is May 19th. Everywhere else is mid-June.

Soldato
Most phones have a button of some sort at the bottom of the screen... :p

Much better than having to use the power button to wake the phone like on the Desire HD, I assume this will be the same.

It looks a good phone but the people who are getting it seem to be trying hard to convince themselves its the one they want!

Vodafone is May 19th. Everywhere else is mid-June.

aye, im so used to trackball wake on my nexus, i think id die without it :p

Associate
Anyone got one yet? Im waiting for the T mobile orange / 3 deals

Nope but ordered! Not willing to pay vodafone prices for the sake of 1 month wait though..

So pre-ordered from www.buymobilephones.net as the T-Mobile contract is the best I can find for Sensation.

http://www.buymobilephones.net/mobile-phones/HTC/HTC-Sensation/T-Mobile/T-Mobile-30-%2818mths%29-inc.-Internet/9913294

£30 cash back too if you use the "topcashback" web site!

Would appreciate the referral if anyone signs up - http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/richardirv

Last edited:
Associate
I will Rich as going to do same as you! Got a date for getting yours? I need mine before June 23rd as going away then for 3 weeks!

Cheers

This is the e-mail I got before I ordered;

"Hi Richard,

Thanks for your email. The expected date we have for the HTC Sensation is 21/06/11"

That's all I have to go on. Its gonna be close for you. Even if you miss the date the amount you are saving over other contracts is worth it in my opinion.

Associate
Yeah

I still paying £30 a month on my old O2 contract for no reason but cant be arsed with hassle of changing to Pay as you go and then changing again

Soldato
Still says pre-order on vodafone web site!! Thought it was out today?
Yeah it was meant to be. Those of us who pre-ordered the phone were expecting dispatch emails yesterday to indicate delivery today. It seems none of those emails were sent yesterday. So it is looking like delivery will be tomorrow, if the emails are sent before 3pm, or Monday/Tuesday next week. I would have thought once the pre-orders are shipped then the Vodafone site will change to allowing orders and not pre-orders.

Associate
Yeah it was meant to be. Those of us who pre-ordered the phone were expecting dispatch emails yesterday to indicate delivery today. It seems none of those emails were sent yesterday. So it is looking like delivery will be tomorrow, if the emails are sent before 3pm, or Monday/Tuesday next week. I would have thought once the pre-orders are shipped then the Vodafone site will change to allowing orders and not pre-orders.

Good Luck! Hope it arrives soon, looking forward to hearing whats its like. Many questions about Android!

I have to wait till the end of june! :(

Soldato
Thanks. :) I can't wait. I hope I'll get an email today before 3pm but I fear I won't. :( Was really hoping to be able to play with the phone over the weekend.

I'll post back here when the phone has arrived and I'd be happy to answer any questions people have about the Sensation. :)

Permabanned
My friend's one arrived today so you should all have them soon! Still undecided between this phone and the SGS2 but as I can't get a phone from work until refurbs are available at least I'll be able to see if the devs can do anything with the locked bootloader.

Associate
Bit of a long post, but my finitial impressions.

Picked up my pre-order from Vodafone today and have used a Galaxy S2 previously (but only for about 15 minutes or so). I think the Sensation very good, but not great.

Obviously the screen colours are poorer, epecially if your not looking straight on, if not rediculously oversaturated like the S2 I was using which put me off that a little, though I have heard you can tone that down a bit. It is on the otherhand a noticeable amount sharper with the QHD screen, which was probably my biggest draw to it as I use my Desire for a fair amount of web browsing. To be honest, most people are going to prefer S2's screen unless you particularly want the sharpness.

Build wise it is better than the S2. The unibody back cover (kind of hugs round the main phone) and the added weight (while still lighter than my desire I think) do make it feel more of a premium phone. It feels good being slightly longer, thinner and more solid than the S2 (though I had no qualms with the S2's construction). Personally I found the S2 just a little too light, I like to feel I am holding a £500 phone. Again on the otherhand though I can see why many people light the feather light feeling of the S2 and would prefer it day to day.

Speed wise though as it stands it's a little up and down. Booting and browsing is very quick, no noticeable lag when zooming even with flash running a video at the same time. A few heavier apps load quicker and do feel generally a little faster to use than my Desire. Sadly though for some reason sense feels worse than my desire in some areas. Scrolling down the shorcut/widget lists feels juddery and slow to me. Also the main apps section is now in sepperate pages which looks poor, no more nice scrolling up and down through the list, it just jumps to the next page. Hopefully this can be changed. Also whether it's the animations or speed, scrolling through the main front screens seems to have a very slight judder to it, only very slight, but I expected better. So all in all, seems better at the more intensive tasks, but a little poorer at the easier ones. Will probably just wack Launcher Pro back on and that will sort the majority of this, as I would do on the S2 as I wasn't 100% convinced still by Touchwiz on that, though I think the S2 still handled scrolling better.

Camera is a step up from the Desire, the 1080p videos great and stills are better. Audio also is better via oth headphones and speakers, watched a few trailers on the HTC Watch app, looked really good and you could sell the sound hardware had been improved a touch of the Desire.

As side note, was a little shocked that even with the extra RAM, after clearing memory I still only had 220mb free, while my Desire would have around 170. Think something is up there.

Not had chance to try much else as at work, and can't give any real information on battery life yet. So as I said I do like the phone, but whether it's becuase the Desire was such a huge step up from my previous phones, or because Sense for some reason feels a little off (though an update will probably fix this) i don't like it quite as much as I though I would. Well t least until I put Launcher Pro on. If worst comes to the worst, I can return it next week and swap it for an S2.

Last edited:
Soldato
Looks great, MHL/HDMI adapters need to hit the market asap :D

When someone gets the phone... 1080p youtube/iPlayer HD test please! (the new quadrant imo :p)

Back
Top Bottom