***The Official HTC Sensation thread***

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
How do you mean built stronger? GSII might be plastic but it certainly doesn't feel weak. There's no bending or flexing in it at all, it feels as solid as a DHD although much, much thinner and lighter.

Associate
just most of the reviews / hands on say it doesn't feel very strong, especially the battery cover, very flimsy etc.

I'm not saying its a bad phone or anything, just comes across as cheaper looking than the sensation etc

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
The battery cover "is" flimsy but as many have mentioned, once it's on the phone you'd never guess otherwise. I don't valuemost review site reviews anyway, much rather test it out for myself and then post feedback.

Man of Honour
The battery cover is flimsy, however its locked 100% solid into the phone nearly all of the time so it doesn't really matter.

^ FU :p

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Indeed! Preference!

I'm sure teh Sensation is built well and I'm sure it feels just as solid as the Galaxy S II - What I am most sure about though is that custom ROMs is what i'd miss :p

Associate
Indeed! Preference!

I'm sure teh Sensation is built well and I'm sure it feels just as solid as the Galaxy S II - What I am most sure about though is that custom ROMs is what i'd miss :p

Yeah I know, i'm hoping custom ROM's won't be required (everything crossed) You never know XDA might crack it! :)

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Android isn't locked down...the phones are but I wouldn't say it's locked down in the standard sense. If the bootloader is locked you can't root. I have a bunch of apps I use to make my life more useful when managing my phone so root is essential.

Associate
OP
Android isn't locked down...the phones are but I wouldn't say it's locked down in the standard sense. If the bootloader is locked you can't root. I have a bunch of apps I use to make my life more useful when managing my phone so root is essential.

Expand a little Khaaan?

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Expand on what exactly? :p

If a bootloader is locked then you can't install roms, you can't root so you can't run apps that require root! New Samsung phones are no longer locked but HTC ones are sadly which goes back to a previous post of mine, HTC had a good run but it seems they care not for the enthusiast community.

Associate
Expand on what exactly? :p

If a bootloader is locked then you can't install roms, you can't root so you can't run apps that require root! New Samsung phones are no longer locked but HTC ones are sadly which goes back to a previous post of mine, HTC had a good run but it seems they care not for the enthusiast community.

That's not right though (the bit about can't root without custom ROM).

The main problem is that the boot loaders are locked/signed/encrypted whatever so you can't replace them. If you can't replace them, you can't change the ROM because you can't load it.

Getting root is different, it only requires them (the devs) to find a weakness in an app or something and exploit it.
The Motorola Atrix has a signed boot loader so you can't install custom ROMs but they cracked root access a while a go. (Atrix root http://briefmobile.com/motorola-atrix-4g-root)

Simon

Last edited:
Soldato
That's not right though (the bit about can't root without custom ROM).

The main problem is that the boot loaders are locked/signed/encrypted whatever so you can't replace them. If you can't replace them, you can't change the ROM because you can't load it.

Getting root is different, it only requires them (the devs) to find a weakness in an app or something and exploit it.
The Motorola Atrix has a signed boot loader so you can't install custom ROMs but they cracked root access a while a go. (Atrix root http://briefmobile.com/motorola-atrix-4g-root)

Simon

very true.

Soldato
on the flip side:

im sick of my nexus one and tinkering with it. Running bleeding edge nightlys and roms is causing more problems than benefits. Being the dev phone it got gb first i believe, then recalled it as it didnt work right? Atm running gb theres wonk issues (first 10 secs of phonecalls are silent) and general bad signal etc. Always swapping roms as new features are unlocked on different devs roms, 720p recording, better mods, etc etc. I just want a stable phone that works for a bit and to stop me tinkering! Therefore, the htc's sense offers a better front end imo :)

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
If it's just a general stable phone you want then both SGS II and Sensation will offer exactly the same package. The benefit of one is that it offers you more potential so if HTC don't update it to 3.1 later this year when it's released, then you know you're buggered until they do.

Not so with the SGS II, for example.

Soldato
mmm, a bigger push away from the sgs2 is that I actually hate the look of it, that big bottom button just screams iphone knockoff at me. That rolled with I'm sick of being bleeding edge are the last nails in the coffin. For my personal pref anyways :)

Back
Top Bottom