Poll: *** The official iPhone 13 (mini/pro/max) thread (The Pro Max has 120 Hz and everything!) ***

• Thread starter Deleted member 209350
  • Start date

Which iPhone 13 will you get?

• iPhone 13 mini

Votes: 20 10.6%
  • iPhone 13

Votes: 19 10.1%
  • iPhone 13 Pro

Votes: 73 38.8%
  • iPhone 13 Pro Max

Votes: 77 41.0%

• Total voters
Soldato
You only need to wait for 3 months before the same thing happens to Android lmao
If they do go portless I don’t think they’ll follow as quick as apple, LMAO.

Think of all the Android auto car systems that would be rendered useless. If Android go the same way I’ll start buying cheap ~£200 phones instead, there’s no way I’m paying over a grand for a phone that removes features so they can make more money selling headphones. Anyone who thinks it’s a good idea needs to give themselves a good shake.

Soldato
If they do go portless I don’t think they’ll follow as quick as apple, LMAO.

Think of all the Android auto car systems that would be rendered useless. If Android go the same way I’ll start buying cheap ~£200 phones instead, there’s no way I’m paying over a grand for a phone that removes features so they can make more money selling headphones. Anyone who thinks it’s a good idea needs to give themselves a good shake.

#BuyANewCar :D

Sadly, we've seen again and again that Apple is the trendmaker in the industry, when they do something they'll mock them, and then they copy it. We saw it with the headphone jack, we're seeing it with including chargers, and we'll see it with portless phones.

When they see Apple can get away with doing something like that, and still sell incredibly well, increasing their profits (whether margin or just by selling more accessories), other manufacturers will want the same thing.

At some point, you and I have no choice but to give in. If you want to buy a flagship from Apple, Samsung, OnePlus, etc, you're getting a phone without a headphone jack. At some point, whether in 2 years or 5 years, it will be a phone without any ports.

Soldato

Sadly, we've seen again and again that Apple is the trendmaker in the industry, when they do something they'll mock them, and then they copy it. We saw it with the headphone jack, we're seeing it with including chargers, and we'll see it with portless phones.

When they see Apple can get away with doing something like that, and still sell incredibly well, increasing their profits (whether margin or just by selling more accessories), other manufacturers will want the same thing.

At some point, you and I have no choice but to give in. If you want to buy a flagship from Apple, Samsung, OnePlus, etc, you're getting a phone without a headphone jack. At some point, whether in 2 years or 5 years, it will be a phone without any ports.

It’s that kind of attitude that lets them keep milking the cow/take you for a mug.

I will be voting with my feet. If others follow I will stop buying ‘flagships’, there is zero point paying over £1k for a device that doesn’t do the basics.

No CarPlay - total disaster
No charging and holding your phone easily - disaster
No easy way to transfer data via cable - disaster

Unless they develop wireless charging that can also transmit data and connect to the edge of the phone it will be a shocking decision to ditch the port.

Let’s be honest, they only want rid of it so you can’t connect wired headphones via their adapter. There are zero other benefits. I call bs on waterproofing reasons because they’re rubbish at waterproofing at the moment so clearly don’t put much time in to optimising what they’ve got.

Soldato

I especially love that Samsung has a trend to bring out an Ad/Image mocking Apple for both removal of the headphone jack and removal of the charger and then they announced so soon after that they were following suit.

Soldato
It’s that kind of attitude that lets them keep milking the cow/take you for a mug.

I will be voting with my feet. If others follow I will stop buying ‘flagships’, there is zero point paying over £1k for a device that doesn’t do the basics.

No CarPlay - total disaster
No charging and holding your phone easily - disaster
No easy way to transfer data via cable - disaster

Unless they develop wireless charging that can also transmit data and connect to the edge of the phone it will be a shocking decision to ditch the port.

Let’s be honest, they only want rid of it so you can’t connect wired headphones via their adapter. There are zero other benefits. I call bs on waterproofing reasons because they’re rubbish at waterproofing at the moment so clearly don’t put much time in to optimising what they’ve got.

You're misunderstanding me, I'm not defending the practice, I'm explaining realities. This is what companies do, and you're of course free to just exit the market. The question is whether the price you're paying (in quality of life terms) is more than the price for that accessory that they want you to buy.

My iPad Air 2 had a headphone jack that I regularly used. My new iPad Air 4 doesn't, so that means I needed to buy a £10 adapter. And it's annoying. I could have stayed with the old one, or bought a much much worse tablet from another brand, but this new one is like 7 times faster and is superior in so many ways that makes it a lot nicer to use, that's a trade-off I had to make. I could stick to some random principles and stayed on the old device to avoid buying a £10 adapter for the new one, I'd have been worse off overall.

I especially love that Samsung has a trend to bring out an Ad/Image mocking Apple for both removal of the headphone jack and removal of the charger and then they announced so soon after that they were following suit.

That's what they always do. Apple does X, Samsung mocks Apple for doing X, and within 18 months, Samsung does X.

Soldato
You're misunderstanding me, I'm not defending the practice, I'm explaining realities. This is what companies do, and you're of course free to just exit the market. The question is whether the price you're paying (in quality of life terms) is more than the price for that accessory that they want you to buy.

My iPad Air 2 had a headphone jack that I regularly used. My new iPad Air 4 doesn't, so that means I needed to buy a £10 adapter. And it's annoying. I could have stayed with the old one, or bought a much much worse tablet from another brand, but this new one is like 7 times faster and is superior in so many ways that makes it a lot nicer to use, that's a trade-off I had to make. I could stick to some random principles and stayed on the old device to avoid buying a £10 adapter for the new one, I'd have been worse off overall.

That’s what I did with my iPhone - but if this happens it is too far.

I understand more about product design than you may think. Apple is all about money. At the moment they have been able to remove extremely usable features and not lose out on sales, because they have a following and people are giving them concessions. All it takes is for people to vote with their feet and apple will have no choice but to stop manipulating the market to suit their own money making agenda. They aren’t thinking of removing the port to advance technology, it is plain and simple a money making process so it makes no sense to just accept it without voicing your disgust.

If people like yourself just accept whatever they do the cycle will never end. I am sure apple have leaked their future plans to gauge opinion so your comments are not helping if you don’t think losing the port is a good idea.

Soldato
That’s what I did with my iPhone - but if this happens it is too far.

I understand more about product design than you may think. Apple is all about money. At the moment they have been able to remove extremely usable features and not lose out on sales, because they have a following and people are giving them concessions. All it takes is for people to vote with their feet and apple will have no choice but to stop manipulating the market to suit their own money making agenda. They aren’t thinking of removing the port to advance technology, it is plain and simple a money making process so it makes no sense to just accept it without voicing your disgust.

If people like yourself just accept whatever they do the cycle will never end. I am sure apple have leaked their future plans to gauge opinion so your comments are not helping if you don’t think losing the port is a good idea.

Every company (including Apple) is all about money, unless they're non-profits (even then...). And Apple like any other company with those resources aren't reading random forums for opinions, they run proper scientific market research studies.

As for the cycles ending or not, we've seen that the companies have been able to get away with charging more for technology. This isn't Apple or even smartphone specific, we're paying more for most tech stuff now than we used to.

Soldato
Every company (including Apple) is all about money, unless they're non-profits (even then...). And Apple like any other company with those resources aren't reading random forums for opinions, they run proper scientific market research studies.

As for the cycles ending or not, we've seen that the companies have been able to get away with charging more for technology. This isn't Apple or even smartphone specific, we're paying more for most tech stuff now than we used to.
It’s a pointless conversation if you’re not going to respond to the points I’ve made.

Soldato
It’s a pointless conversation if you’re not going to respond to the points I’ve made.

You didn't even make any new points, just keep saying they're doing it for money (which is obvious and I agree with). Everything they do is about money, that's what a for-profit corporation is.

Soldato
Now hear me out, I know it might be too soon. But the 12 for me was a bit disappointing as they missed out on some key features.
Here's what I'd like to see added on the next model:

13 Pro/Max:

1) 120hz
2) Smaller Notch/No Notch
3) USB-C (though its probably wishful thinking at this point)
Iphone note 13 :D

4) stylus

Agreed apple really needs to change to using a USB-C port

Soldato
Wouldn’t a suitable compromise/alternative be to replace the port (if/when it goes) with the smart connector á la the iPad pro?
That way we still get pseudo physical charging and data connections.

Soldato
Speaking of voting with your feet, I was 100% convinced I was going to get the IP12 Pro but it was such a pathetic non-event of an upgrade I didn’t bother. So much was held back for whatever reason and it has annoyed me so much I’m now considering going back to Android.

Soldato
I skipped the iP12-PM as I'm still really happy with my 11PM and I thought I should take a year off and actually appreciate an upgrade when it's more than 12 months apart.

Soldato
The 11 and 12 were like a non event for me. The xs max I have now felt like a nice upgrade but I’ve not been interested in any of the new ones. I’d have got an 11 or 12 if I didn’t have the xs but they’re not an improvement worth paying for. I’ll most likely keep the one I have until it stops working which will probably be post iphone 13 and then I’ll make a choice if I’m going to stick with apple or move away. If it’s portless I’ll be gone, if it’s a connector like the iPad for the keyboard and it can still transfer data/charge/connect to CarPlay then it’s in with a shout.

Soldato
The 11 and 12 were like a non event for me. The xs max I have now felt like a nice upgrade but I’ve not been interested in any of the new ones. I’d have got an 11 or 12 if I didn’t have the xs but they’re not an improvement worth paying for. I’ll most likely keep the one I have until it stops working which will probably be post iphone 13 and then I’ll make a choice if I’m going to stick with apple or move away. If it’s portless I’ll be gone, if it’s a connector like the iPad for the keyboard and it can still transfer data/charge/connect to CarPlay then it’s in with a shout.

Same thought here - my XS is good enough and the newer ones just haven't felt significantly different to warrant the cost. For the first time in a few years, my contract has expired and I'm on SIM only to see what the next 12-18 months hold.

I have now moved to a city with 5G so I will probably upgrade to take advantage of that if the iPhone 13 warrants it.

Soldato
Only reason I upgraded from my XS Max was the 11PM worked out a few quid cheaper per month and the better battery life. Otherwise I was really happy with my XS

Soldato
I really hope Apple manages to put a good implementation of 120Hz into the next iPhones. All before, and even the Note20 which is LTPO are complete messes, with colour inconsistencies at various refresh rates.

Back
Top Bottom