Poll: *** The Official iPhone 15 thread (it has USB-C and everything!) ***

• Thread starter Thread starter Deleted member 209350
  • Start date Start date

Are you getting an iPhone 15?

• Total voters
Finally time to upgrade from my 11 Pro with cracked UW camera lens, cracked back and dropped it this week so cracked bottom right, too :eek:

Mildly annoyed as while I wanted usb C I was impatient and bought the Airpod Pro 2nd gen three or four months back so will still need lightning! Doh.

Still, I think I may as well keep the 11 for the car as it won’t be worth a penny from the damage I’ve done.

What's the chances with pre-ordering of being able to actually get a 15 on the 22nd?

I've pre-pre-ordered a Pro Max and, thankfully due to a meeting getting moved, should be able to finish the actual pre order at 13:00 (Apple servers allowing.) But coming from an 8 with only 70% battery health I'm hoping to get the upgrade ASAP and pick it up on my walk to the office on Friday morning.

I am torn on the Pro/Max. Always gone for the bigger phones as like the space and battery life, but I actually don’t want the 5x. 3x felt just right for people/objects like cars etc. to get that nicer background compression and less fisheye. 5x feels like too much, I’ll have to stand so far from the subject it’ll be a pain in the ass. The ‘focal length’ on the main camera is just a digital zoom, it can’t actually affect the geometry can it. Shame they didn’t do a variable periscope like Sony.

Am I crazy?

You are not alone with the camera.

My prefer standard would be 35/50/85.

The current standard is 24mm default (which is useful), so if you can set the profile to be 35 (cropped) then that’s good, I think that’s 1.2x zoom on the photo, done digitally.

It doesn’t have 85mm, it has 78mm? It’s not ideal but I’ll live with it. In my camera bag I have a 90mm prime, a 105mm and a 70-200mm. I used to have a 135mm prime. I’m not a big fan of those focal lengths for people, it’s too far for me. But what I know is that people who isn’t big into photography loves a big magnification (zoom is the wrong word technically), they find the idea of being able to see things far away up close a real novelty and find that somehow amazing, even when it does not necessarily make a great photo.

Last edited:
When will they be available to purchase/pre order via other retailers? Such as very etc? I’d prefer to put it on the very buy now pay later (12 months 0%) don’t like 24 month finance.

My wife has an iPhone 7, and the home button has finally died on it, making it quite difficult to navigate the phone, so time to replace.

Thing is, she'd see a huge benefit from upgrading to anything on the Apple website now, but where's the sweet spot in functionality vs price? She wouldn't notice the difference between a 15 and a 15 pro, or even a 14 and a 15 pro. The max range is too big, she wants something closer to an iPhone 7 size-wise, but I'm not comfortable getting her tech as old as the SE for ~£500.

My wife has an iPhone 7, and the home button has finally died on it, making it quite difficult to navigate the phone, so time to replace.

Thing is, she'd see a huge benefit from upgrading to anything on the Apple website now, but where's the sweet spot in functionality vs price? She wouldn't notice the difference between a 15 and a 15 pro, or even a 14 and a 15 pro. The max range is too big, she wants something closer to an iPhone 7 size-wise, but I'm not comfortable getting her tech as old as the SE for ~£500.

iPhone 14 is probably the one i would go for in her shoes. Base model, base storage will be fine.

I am torn on the Pro/Max. Always gone for the bigger phones as like the space and battery life, but I actually don’t want the 5x. 3x felt just right for people/objects like cars etc. to get that nicer background compression and less fisheye. 5x feels like too much, I’ll have to stand so far from the subject it’ll be a pain in the ass. The ‘focal length’ on the main camera is just a digital zoom, it can’t actually affect the geometry can it. Shame they didn’t do a variable periscope like Sony.

Am I crazy?

Mrwhosetheboss made a good point about the Pro Max. Apple uses the 3x by default for portraits, which the Pro Max doesn't have so it's either going to be really zoomed in now for portraits or digitally zoomed to match 3x, which will kill the quality.

I just read the Apple landing page from the announcement:

Do I need to read any further? It's an iPhone 14 Pro with a new name, isn't it?

It's incremental, like all smartphones over a 12 month period.

- USB-C
- New Ultra Wideband chip.
- A17 Pro, 3nm chip.
- Lighert, titanium rails.
- Thinner bezels
- Camera and Camera software improvements
- Change in form, phone is a little smaller and has rounded sides.
- Action button.
- Wi‑Fi 6E
- Spatial video recording.

Pro Max gets
- 5x zoom

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom