Poll: *** The Official iPhone 16 thread (it has Apple Intelligence and everything!) ***

Which iPhone 16 will you be getting?

• Total voters
Going 16 Pro, will be my first WiFi 7 device, I use the camera a lot so worth it for the upgrades in that too.

Annoying that most 3rd party cases are using a cut out for the capture button so have gone Apple Silicon as a stop gap.

Going 16 Pro, will be my first WiFi 7 device, I use the camera a lot so worth it for the upgrades in that too.

Annoying that most 3rd party cases are using a cut out for the capture button so have gone Apple Silicon as a stop gap.
I think the Spigen ones do not have a cut out.

Edit they do have the cutout. Are we sure the Apples ones don’t? That angle isn’t shown in the pictures.

Last edited:

So has the Apple silicon case got a button on the inside of the case for the new camera button ?

Looked on Apples website and its not shown on the photos for the new 16 Pro cases.

Apparently they all have 8GB of RAM, which is going to suck for on device LLMs. Can bet that the 17 will have more RAM.
I don’t think they will be running the LLM on device. The GPU power needed alone is beyond what a desktop could handle to run even anything close to a full model for GPT 4o

I don’t think they will be running the LLM on device. The GPU power needed alone is beyond what a desktop could handle to run even anything close to a full model for GPT 4o
You can’t have on-device AI without local models. They’ll process via either the NPU or GPU but the lack of memory will limit their potential.

You can’t have on-device AI without local models. They’ll process via either the NPU or GPU but the lack of memory will limit their potential.
Anything running on even a very powerful desktop would be way more limited than what you get on a cloud. Apple are going to put most of this on the cloud. If you’ve used other AI tools then this is the norm. Like many of Adobe’s AI features need cloud, Microsoft ones do and the rest. You will only find very limited and basic AI features running locally. You couldn’t run a model like GPT-4o locally for example without 40GB+ of VRAM.

Anything running on even a very powerful desktop would be way more limited than what you get on a cloud. Apple are going to put most of this on the cloud. If you’ve used other AI tools then this is the norm. Like many of Adobe’s AI features need cloud, Microsoft ones do and the rest. You will only find very limited and basic AI features running locally. You couldn’t run a model like GPT-4o locally for example without 40GB+ of VRAM.
I’m not disagreeing with that, just noting that the on-device stuff will be extremely limited and people should set their expectations. 8GB is barely acceptable for normal day-to-day tasks.

99% of the interesting AI stuff will require an internet connection as, like you mentioned, those models are 10-100s of GBs in size. You’d be able to use AI on any Apple device.

I’m not disagreeing with that, just noting that the on-device stuff will be extremely limited and people should set their expectations. 8GB is barely acceptable for normal day-to-day tasks.

99% of the interesting AI stuff will require an internet connection as, like you mentioned, those models are 10-100s of GBs in size. You’d be able to use AI on any Apple device.
100%. It will be interesting to see what runs locally and what runs on the cloud. There hasn’t been any talk of a subscription either so I’m not sure where this will make them money or is it because everything has AI now that this will be the only way to sell phones.

100%. It will be interesting to see what runs locally and what runs on the cloud. There hasn’t been any talk of a subscription either so I’m not sure where this will make them money or is it because everything has AI now that this will be the only way to sell phones.
Yea, it seems to be expected that you’ll get it on the 16, but will that be forever given how expensive it is to run the service?

Probably a paid service for everyone else. Honestly though, not-**** Siri should be free for everyone.

Cancelled my pre-order. I can’t see there being a meaningful improvement over my iPhone 15 for my usage. I’ve got used to the 60hz screen and the main sensor is effectively the same as the 16 Pro.

Back
Top Bottom