***The Official LG Nexus 4 Thread***

If i feel the need for more storage which i'd only use if wanted to watch t.v episodes i would use OTG storage so no real big deal for me.

So I have one of these with an 8GB microSD card, which people are AMAZED by! :p Does anyone know if a micro USB version exists? That would be a pretty ace little add-on for the 8GB GN4 :)

zls0w4.jpg

Also;

Nexus 7 launches early July with 8GB and 16GB WiFi only models
Nexus 7 32GB with 3G launches early November

Nexus 4 launches early November with 8GB and 16GB 3G only models
Nexus 4 32GB with 4G launches early February? :p

Hey guys,

Can someone clarify how the phones works in terms of contract/provider?
If you order the phone off of play.google.com who is your mobile provider (3g + data etc)?
Also, are you on a 12, 18, 24 month contract with this said provider?

^^ No contract. These will be unlocked and then you will need a SIM card to use it. Similar to buying it off Amazon.

I have 16 GB (12 GB usable) with the S II and never had problems worrying about space with recording 1080p videos, storing music or pictures.

Maybe it's all these games that I'm not playing that are huge?

The only time I've used all 16gb of storage on my S3 was when I was traveling (flights mainly).

For this, I'd just use my 16gb usb stick on an otg cable :)

3 y/o tech, really? :p Are you suggesting the N4 will make the S3 feel like a HTC Desire?

I remember you saying SoC hardware was already great at this time in moment and more powerful stuff would have little gain.

Quad krait is really no better than the dual krait you have in the HOS.

The GPU bump is huge over the adreno 225 yes, but show me the software that can utilise its power. Nothing maxes out the Mali-400.

Soo, back in the real world, will there be much difference in performance (N4 vs S3)? I'm not sure there will be, as the S3 with JB is silly smooth and fast

I'm expecting very similar results to the Optimus G tbh. Will be surprised if its much better.

GS4 - Exynos 5. Blinding Camera?

Camera/Vid cam will most likely be quite a bit better on the S3 - We'll see.
Audio - meh, guessing tie.
Screen - tie

Design - I prefer the N4 but I can't help but sigh over the software buttons taking up too much screen space, and they're too far up:

trounces? For the price God yes, ultimately - no. See above.

There is no credible reason of capping the storage at 16GB (12GB Usable) for this kind of phone. Just plain stupid.

3D Games take up huge GB's, then you have 1080p vid cams, 2GB music, season episodes, Nandroids etc etc. 32GB should have at least have been an option as it just makes sense.

Hence why I used this ":p" And it was more so in reference to benchmarks, not real world usage.

:p

Of course there won't be a huge difference in real world usage, but it will be noticeable in certain things like when it comes to multi-tasking combined with the 2GB RAM (assuming 4.2 is better optimized for quad core), maybe not for "average joes" as said before I notice a difference comparing my S to the GS 3 in some tasks, granted it could be software optimisation though.....

I know all of that, but he was asking how the GPU/CPU compared to that of the GS 3 and I was answering his question :)

Regarding battery, software optimization plays a very large part in battery life as well. LG's software seems to be very poorly optimised as we can see from the performance benchmarks and in theory the battery should be better because the S4 pro is way more power efficient than the exynos and the screen is also very good for PE and plus the battery is the same size, no reason why it shouldn't be better.

If it is worse then it is simply due to poor optimisation or perhaps touchwiz is just very well optimized for the battery.

Is the GS 4 not at least another 7-8 months or so away? If we go by the past galaxy releases.

TBH the only advantage of the GS 3 screen (and any SAMOLED screen) compared to the IPS screens is blacks and for some people more saturated colours. I prefer SAMOLED personally, but looking at it from a 3rd person view, the IPS on the X and optimus G is better than AMOLED based these days.

Last edited:
For the price, I'd be happy to trf recordings and photos to my pc slightly more regularly. 16GB is fine for most scenarios. Unless you are going to be away from home for a month and need huge amounts of media at once, I can't see it being a massive problem.

Do we know if the major stores will be matching Google's price? From the Nexus 7 stories, dealing with Google were there to be a problem is a bit slow.

For the price, I'd be happy to trf recordings and photos to my pc slightly more regularly. 16GB is fine for most scenarios. Unless you are going to be away from home for a month and need huge amounts of media at once, I can't see it being a massive problem.

IF I had to be away for long I would load up usb drive and use the Usb on the go feature.

Of course there won't be a huge difference in real world usage, but it will be noticeable in certain things like when it comes to multi-tasking combined with the 2GB RAM (assuming 4.2 is better optimized for quad core), maybe not for "average joes" as said before I notice a difference comparing my S to the GS 3 in some tasks, granted it could be software optimisation though.....

Compared to the vanilla S3 yes, 2GB will reduce cold starts when multitasking. Not a problem for me, my S3 has 2GB RAM also.

4.1 JB would have had quad core support baked in for Tegra3 N7. Granted, it could be improved in 4.2.

Compare your HOS to a JB'd S3 - I found the S3 at minimum on par, if not better.

S4 pro is way more power efficient than the exynos

With 4 cores being lit up it won't be as efficient as the dual core S4. Expect quite similar power usage to the Quad Exynos.

Is the GS 4 not at least another 7-8 months or so away? If we go by the past galaxy releases.

Yes - and I expect the camera to be a big improvement over the N4.

TBH the only advantage of the GS 3 screen (and any SAMOLED screen) compared to the IPS screens is blacks and for some people more saturated colours. I prefer SAMOLED personally, but looking at it from a 3rd person view it is better than AMOLED based these days.

Everyone I show the S3's screen to love the saturated colours and huge contrast.

Black blacks are very important to me and the contrast shift is impeccable on the S3.

Pentile is a non-issue. So it all really comes down to preference.

Also: ---------- GSMarena's contrast test of the Optimus G:

Sadly, the LG Optimus G screen is pretty reflective, which leads to a rather mediocre performance in strong sunlight.

he viewing angles are good thanks to the IPS+ tech, but not without some color shift and contrast loss.

There is no credible reason of capping the storage at 16GB (12GB Usable) for this kind of phone. Just plain stupid.

3D Games take up huge GB's, then you have 1080p vid cams, 2GB music, season episodes, Nandroids etc etc. 32GB should have at least have been an option as it just makes sense.

Only 12gb is going to be useable? Really?

I was kinda hoping for around 14gb left from 16, but 12 is just cutting it too close for me personally.

I'd be interested to know this to.

If it's anything like when I tried buying a magazine with my US proxy (experimenting :p), I don't think it would let me go any further due to not having an american credit card. Granted I was using a UK debit card, maybe a UK credit card would work?

Compared to the vanilla S3 yes, 2GB will reduce cold starts when multitasking. Not a problem for me, my S3 has 2GB RAM also.

4.1 JB would have had quad core support baked in for Tegra3 N7. Granted, it could be improved in 4.2.

Compare your HOS to a JB'd S3 - I found the S3 at minimum on par, if not better.

With 4 cores being lit up it won't be as efficient as the dual core S4. Expect quite similar power usage to the Quad Exynos.

Yes - and I expect the camera to be a big improvement over the N4.

Everyone I show the S3's screen to love the saturated colours and huge contrast.

Black blacks are very important to me and the contrast shift is impeccable on the S3.

Pentile is a non-issue. So it all really comes down to preference.

Also: ---------- GSMarena's contrast test of the Optimus G:

True, but how will it compare once the S gets jellybean too? :p

I thought there where results on anandtech showing the s4 pro with the new adreno GPU to be even more PE than the S4 dual krait/adreno 225? As said if all 4 cores are being used completely then it will drain quicker than the s4 krait, but as you know, hardly any apps/tasks make use of 4 completely.

Well I would certainly hope for a device to be far better in 7 or so months time! :D

I know, I agree with you on the SAMOLED advantages and much rather have it, but when you look at most of the expert reviews, they all still rate the X screen to be in a different league to the GS 3 screen. As you know I have no problems with pentile either :)

Yeah I seen that, although iirc the verge said the screen was very good outside in sun light?

Will just have to wait and hear some user opinions as you and I both know, these "expert" reviews can be wrong sometimes :o :p

Back
Top Bottom