***The Official LG Nexus 4 Thread***

Can anyone comment on the sound quality? What kind of audio hardware does the Nexus 4 have? Can anyone compare with a Samsung Galaxy S3 which has a Wolfson DAC?

+1 to this!

More interested by the loudspeaker area than when plugged into earphones though :p

Regarding the audio hardware:

Inside the Nexus 4 is a Qualcomm WCD9310 audio codec, which we’ve seen in other devices like the MSM8960-based Galaxy S 3s and a few other phones.

taken from anandtech's review.

So the same as the one S etc. and other phones that use the S4 chipset, however, the software/driver optimisation plays a big part as usual, as other devices with the same CPU chipset don't have as good quality as what the one S does.

Will have to wait for gsmarena's review to see how it compares.

Be interesting to hear how it compares to the one S as well *cough* Sarge *cough* :p

Last edited:
The external speaker sounds quite loud, crisp and clear when playing various types of music. As someone who never uses my phone this way I've nothing to compare it to, but it sounds fine to me, actually pretty good.

I did post a vid earlier with the loudspeaker here it is. Obviously not possible to fully hear the quality but it sounds pretty good to me. At the end you can hear the ~50% drop in volume when I put it down.

+1 to this!

More interested by the loudspeaker area than when plugged into earphones though :p

Regarding the audio hardware:

taken from anandtech's review.

So the same as the one S etc. and other phones that use the S4 chipset, however, the software/driver optimisation plays a big part as usual, as other devices with the same CPU chipset don't have as good quality as what the one S does.

Will have to wait for gsmarena's review to see how it compares.

Be interesting to hear how it compares to the one S as well *cough* Sarge *cough* :p

I was more interested in the SQ with earphones myself :p Because I'm currently considering upgrading my "portable music experience", and I kinda want a new phone too. Debating between GN4 and SGS3 and a good Mp3 player. But, if I get a good mp3 player for music then I could get the GN4 as well because I wouldn't need space for music on it (no sd card slot).

I'm kinda talking to myself, but yeah.

So it seems US orders are being diligently worked on over the weekend, while UK orders sit in limbo until Monday.

You'd think after putting thousands on a three week waiting list they'd be burning the midnight oil - alas not.

The complacency is quite insulting.

Back
Top Bottom