***The Official LG Nexus 4 Thread***

Sell privately or recycle n how much did you get for it? Still dunno whether to just go sell it now and use my old desire for a couple weeks or hold off til nexus is out in the hopes i can still get about 250 for my s3 :|

I sold mine on avforums for £305, that included a 32GB microSD and a Rock leather case.

Last edited:
Can't watch the video of the verge review until later but does he show the crack he made in the phone or are there any pictures of it around?

Also disappointed there has been no demo of the lock screen widgets yet! By far sounds like one of the best features of 4.2

:D Benchmarks look worse than they are - also sunspider are comparing chrome to Android stoock browser, so not a fair test.
+ve's are screen is quite decent - though is it 100% sRGB?
+ Camera Is not as good as One x/s , S3 it seems, But decent overall
I think the batterylife will be fine too - 4hrs display time will be achievalble me thinks - but not RAZRhd busting as you envisaged :p.

Overall for the money (and in absolute terms) this phone seems great.

LCD over AMOLED though is hardest thing to bear for me :D.

The screen sounds great, however, a few sites have said the colours are a bit washed out, which I hate! :p Wondering if this is going to be like the nexus 7, where some people got more vibrant screens and others got washed out versions :(

Yeah the camera seems much better than the GN, although they are saying not as good as the other top end phone shooters, will have to wait and see proper comparisons etc. but this could be the main deal breaker for me :( Hopefully the new update will improve it more.....

hehe :D In theory it should be as good if not better than the RAZR HD :p S4 pro + 2100 mAh next gen battery and a more efficient display should definitely be lasting a lot longer than what these sites are saying.

Yup for the money you can't go wrong :)

will Nexus 4 screen be as good as SGS2 in direct sunlight?

Pretty much all the phones in the last year are far better than the GS 2 screen for view ability in sunshine and so far the screen seems to be as good as the X and iphone 5, so it should be very good.

Hmm, not looking great.....

Again though as has been said, these are done on old versions of 4.2, so will wait till the phones get that update and then judge! :p

It seems to be pretty much what I expected. A very good all-rounder and an exceptional bit of kit for the money.

Battery life in reviews is always ridiculously subjective, more or less every phone gets a wildly different score from review to review. In theory, there's no reason it shouldn't be excellent.

I don't think there's anything here that will have S3 owners jumping ship though, but I'll probably get one anyway, at this price it'd be rude not to. ;)

These are REVIEWS, barring Anandtech's preview. Google should not be sending out REVIEW unit's without the software that it will be released with(which this might be).

The sites are calling them reviews, but we don't know what Google called the handsets do we? Google could send me a preview handset and I could throw up a page called "Nexus 4 Pena Collada".

At lease one of the sites (cant remember which) has already stated that the software isn't final. But then, when was the last time a flawless handset was released? Or any flawless software actually, we are living in a time when everything is patched after release.

LG Optimus G is going toe to toe with the iPhone 5 in those anandtech benchmarks yet the nexus 4 is considerably further down the list. Something is seriously wrong with 4.2 by the looks of it.

These are REVIEWS, barring Anandtech's preview. Google should not be sending out REVIEW unit's without the software that it will be released with(which this might be).

Why not, the current software was enough to be widely acclaimed as the best Android device on the market. It's safe to assume the final build will perform at Optimus G levels as it has exactly the same internals. I think your just making a poor effort at trolling with your negative comments however if your not I'm not sure how you can regard any of the reviews as bad...

Dont get me wrong, for the budget the phone is still great, so anyone upgrading an old phone or moving to android its a no-brainer. But for those of us (probably quite a few) that were looking to swap out our s3 for one of these it looks like it would be quite the downgrade. Worse volume, worse camera, n then the benchmarks are all ass including performance in game. Still wicked for the price though so dont take my comments as all negative.

LG Optimus G is going toe to toe with the iPhone 5 in those anandtech benchmarks yet the nexus 4 is considerably further down the list. Something is seriously wrong with 4.2 by the looks of it.

That's thermal throttling, it does it before the full suite completes. (the Optimus G bugs out before then, so you get a normal result when run individually)

Hmm, not looking great.....

The new version of chrome runs sunspider in 1900ms on our HOS. The stock browser does it in 1200ms, so that means about 700-800 on the N4 (to put things into perspective)

What graphics chip does apple use in the iphone 5 by the way? I thought snapdragon s4 was the king of mobile chips at the moment but seems to be getting smoked in the anandtech benchmarks?

Okay just realised it says so on the benchmarks. Is the A6 owned by apple? So android makers cant use it?

Gizmodo says,

NOTE: At the time of our testing, the phone’s software was very nearly finished, but it was not yet final. This means that the results are subject to change with extended testing. The finished build will be pushed to devices before they go on sale. We will update with any changes.

With all that being said, the reviews look good.

What graphics chip does apple use in the iphone 5 by the way? I thought snapdragon s4 was the king of mobile chips at the moment but seems to be getting smoked in the anandtech benchmarks?

Okay just realised it says so on the benchmarks. Is the A6 owned by apple? So android makers cant use it?

The GPU is a powerVR 543mp3 and yes anyone can license it (OMAP 5/Atom something use similar performing versions) ...oh the Adreno 320 is probably a bit faster. It's still using early drivers for this new architecture (see the throttling difference between the almost identical N4 and Optimus G)

The GPU is a powerVR 543mp3 and yes anyone can license it (OMAP 5/Atom something use similar performing versions) ...oh the Adreno 320 is probably a bit faster. It's still using early drivers for this new architecture (see the throttling difference between the almost identical N4 and Optimus G)

wow i am dumb, i looked at all the benchmarks and couldnt see the optimus G on them lol. Well assuming its not some cheaper version of the chip then this does indeed look good. Is the throttling intentional though? As obviously cripples in games and gives the fps skips the reviewers are talking about.

The new version of chrome runs sunspider in 1900ms on our HOS. The stock browser does it in 1200ms, so that means about 700-800 on the N4 (to put things into perspective)

True, but........ (:p)

- our one S is still on 4.0.4 :o so once we get JB it should improve as well, although probably won't be as good as the n4 (especially if the update improves/fixes the performance etc.)....
- all the other benchmarks etc. aren't looking good

Although I fully expect these to improve vastly with some updates.

I don't think there's anything here that will have S3 owners jumping ship though, but I'll probably get one anyway, at this price it'd be rude not to. ;)

I'm certainly not ditching the S3 for one. The lure of 4.2 isn't enough to persuade me to get one so it looks like I might not make it three Nexus in a row.

With the glass back its probably not the phone for me. I work on a farm and my galaxy S gets treated rough and has been dropped too many times to remember. With it being mostly made out of plastic bar a few scuffs here and there its fine, not sure how the screen has survived but it has.

True, but........ (:p)

- our one S is still on 4.0.4 :o so once we get JB it should improve as well, although probably won't be as good as the n4 (especially if the update improves/fixes the performance etc.)....
- all the other benchmarks etc. aren't looking good

The benchmarks look fine to me. Chrome has always generated rubbish scores and the GPU is the fastest thing around before it starts throttling :D (early days for drivers!)
The CPU and 2D performance in quadrant are abnormally low but that's all software related. Probably need to be updated to support 4.2? Everything else matches the Optimus G (ie read/write, so no cheap eMMC! :cool:)

All we need is reliable radio performance figures and 3rd party back covers. :p

Back
Top Bottom