**** The Official Nokia 8 Thread ****

Soldato
Finally got round to taking the phone back today.
Having done a hard reset, the phone was a lot better. OS seemed much smoother, but the wifi started dropping out after a couple of hours.
When it started doing it again, i watched the wifi connections and they just all disappeared until i tuned the wifi off and on again.
They did offer me a refund, but decided to get a exchange as i do like the phone and hopefully this one works ok.

Soldato
Finally got round to taking the phone back today.
Having done a hard reset, the phone was a lot better. OS seemed much smoother, but the wifi started dropping out after a couple of hours.
When it started doing it again, i watched the wifi connections and they just all disappeared until i tuned the wifi off and on again.
They did offer me a refund, but decided to get a exchange as i do like the phone and hopefully this one works ok.

Think you must have been unlucky. Mine gets wifi on the 2nd floor of our house and the fairly rubbish plusnet router is on the ground floor.

Soldato
Think you must have been unlucky. Mine gets wifi on the 2nd floor of our house and the fairly rubbish plusnet router is on the ground floor.

I do hope that is the case, as after doing the reset and using the phone for a couple of weeks i really do like it.

I did consider getting a different phone altogether, but didn't want to pay more for a lower spec.

Caporegime
Another Oreo bug, the animation taking the stylus/pressing the icon is very laggy. 100% of the time so far.

Edit - lol wrong thread, thought this was the Note 8 thread.

Last edited:
Soldato
Got the replacement and so far the wifi has not dropped.

For some reason though, 5ghz is not as strong as 2.4ghz.

Also setting up the phone took ages. Think it updated to Android 8 first then 8.1 and then three individual security updates (download and install was pretty slow).

Main thing is that the OS is smooth and wifi seems solid without needing a hard reset, so looks like the other phone was indeed faulty.

Bit of a moot point now. Was hoping to use android 7.1 to start with, but as soon as i turned on the phone i had to update. Is this normal?

EDIT

Not had the annoying notification beeps on this phone.

Soldato
5Ghz Wifi is not as strong as 2.4Ghz Wifi but it is better for speed, As for the update on My 7+ I can download it but before it installs postpone the process allowing me to use the current version.

Soldato
Think it could be my Virgin Media Superhub 2 (SH2) that is the problem.

There have been some people having the same problems and switching to SH3 sorted it out.

I got a SH3 when i changed to the V6 box, but never set it up as it is supposed to be not very good.

Looks like i will have to swap it over after all.

EDIT

Just to add. Think it is a compatibility problem between the SH2 and Android 8.1 that is the problem and not the phone as it works fine on other peoples non Virgin Media wifi.

Last edited:
Soldato
Quick update on this.

Am now on the SH3 and wow what a difference it makes.

Wifi is stable and no annoying notifications about no internet connection.

Love the phone again and feel it was worth the money after all.

Just done a speed test and it is as good as my PC (150/10 Mbps). :)

Soldato
Bought one of these a few days ago and I am still very 50/50. Performance wise it's great but no notification light, glance is well **** and no badges on apps. Also miss the IR blaster from previous LG phones.

Not had any wifi or bluetooth issues.

Associate
Anyone know what (if any) commitments o future updates are being made. I think it appears that there's a commitment to bring Android P to the Nokia 8. From what I can see then security updates seem to be being sent out in a timely fashion (I've experienced the contrast between updates ferquency on a Nexus5 comapared with more recentl a Moto Z play .. which is still waiting for an Oreo update) but is there any statement on how much longer this will happen for. Google guaranteed 2 OS updates + 3 years of security updates for Nexus 5 .... do Nokia.HMD say anything similar for the Nokia 8?

Soldato
Anyone know what (if any) commitments o future updates are being made. I think it appears that there's a commitment to bring Android P to the Nokia 8. From what I can see then security updates seem to be being sent out in a timely fashion (I've experienced the contrast between updates ferquency on a Nexus5 comapared with more recentl a Moto Z play .. which is still waiting for an Oreo update) but is there any statement on how much longer this will happen for. Google guaranteed 2 OS updates + 3 years of security updates for Nexus 5 .... do Nokia.HMD say anything similar for the Nokia 8?

Not sure on the Nokia 8 but for the Newer 7+ 8 Siroco which are running android one they will get 2 OS updates and 3 years of security updates.

Looks like from this the 2017 nokia 8 is joining Android One so will get P plus 2 years of security after.

Back
Top Bottom