*** The Official Nokia Lumia 710 Thread ***

Soldato
Got my Lumia 710 today. Ridiculously good handset for the 100 notes I paid for it. Upgrading from the Trophy, performance is a tiny bit quicker, but the screen is a lot better, the handset feels a lot sturdier and I am so glad to have hardware buttons back! Hated the touch buttons on the Trophy, so easy to knock while handling the phone.

Colour me impressed. I was expecting a cheap handset, but this isn't. It's a bargain, not bargain bucket.

Associate
I got my Lumia 710 yesterday and have had a chance to tinker with it a little. This is my first smartphone though I've also an ipod touch and iPad2.

First impressions are pretty good. Its speedy to navigate, works fine on my bluetooth car kit and is clear when people are talkingto you ie telephony is great.

The email client is ok but not as good as the iphone/ipod touch. Has anyone found a way to make to text smaller?

As someone mentioned a page or two back the battery level is hidden by default untill you drag it out. It would be nice if they kept it visible by default. And better still if they let you show the battery percentage on the home screen - its currently hidden away in the Settings options.

The camera's fine for my every day work photos - quick to focus and theres a dedicated button. It wont be replacing my big camera on holiday though.

All in all I'm reasonably happy with the phone and its a bargain for the price it can be had for. It needs a microsim but the Vodafone shop in Belfast moved my number over to one in a few minutes and was very helpful indeed. This will be my stopgap until the iphone 5 comes out.

Edit:
One other omission is the ability to see how much data you've used while outside WiFi range. There's no app available and its in none of the options (please correct me if I've missed it).

Last edited:
Associate
Just got round to giving Nokia Music a go - very impressed. Streams really well over 3g on Giffgaff and still runs well whilst doing other things with the phone. Shame you can only skip 6 songs an hour but the range of music available seems pretty good so far.

Associate
Hi Folks, Newbie here with first smartphone - Lumia 710. Does anyone know how to get custom ringtone on this device? I've been down the Zune route and can copy a suitably sized music file with genre set to jazz/classical to the phone OK but when I change the genre to 'Ringtone' the file disappears and certainly doesn't get into the Ringtones and Sounds folder on the phone. I believe there should be a 'Custom' subfolder which I don't see on this device.

Any ideas gratefully received, otherwise its going back to Orange.

Thanks,

BobL

Associate
Thanks for that link. That is exactly what I'd done several times with the same result - no 'Custom' subfolder in the 'Ringtones and Sounds' folder therefore no imported ringtone. I've followed the instructions in the link to the letter just in case but with the same result.

Naturally there's more than the ringtone issue as a reason for considering sending it back.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for that link. That is exactly what I'd done several times with the same result - no 'Custom' subfolder in the 'Ringtones and Sounds' folder therefore no imported ringtone. I've followed the instructions in the link to the letter just in case but with the same result.

Naturally there's more than the ringtone issue as a reason for considering sending it back.

I'm not entirely sure what you are on about with the whole 'custom and 'ringtones and sounds' folders. You're not able to access to file system on the phone.

Just put the track into your normal library, change genre to 'RINGTONE' and away you go.

Soldato
On this phone, can you turn off the key-pad sounds while leaving all other sounds (ring tone, youtube video volume etc) unaffected ?

Soldato
Thanks, got it ! Stupidly I've been looking for that for ages. Still getting used to the phone, but it is a great phone, very happy indeed for the £129 CPW price. Got a giffgaff SIM in there now, so far so good.

Soldato
Picked up one today after selling my nexus s and x10, even though this has a smaller screen, its really nice, i cut down my contract sim to micro size, worked first time, and only took a minute to do.

i had to pay a bit more, £159 as CPW couldnt sell me one as thier system wouldnt complete the top up, so P4U had them. so far im impressed..

Soldato
What's the average battery life on these? Picked one up Friday and with a few Tweets/browsing etc it kills it. Turned off location setting/XBL/background tasks, all sorts.

Soldato
Mine easily lasts 24+ hrs in normal use.

On the other hand, I tried Nokia drive for a long journey just as an experiment, and that will drain the battery in about 6 hours though for example. So your mileage may vary...

Back
Top Bottom