*** The Official Nokia Lumia 710 Thread ***

Soldato
OP
If anyone wishes to debrand their Lumia 710 it's actually pretty easy!

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1488795

Although all I have to show for it after everything is no Vodafone logo on boot and a minor firmware version increase :p

Still now it's done I won't have to experience Vodafone dragging their feet with an update.

Was going to say. The only difference you'll see is no boot screen and maybe a few settings unhidden. That's all. When we do the customisation for the operators there is actually very little they can do to the phone. Unlike with Android.

Associate
Still getting calls which don't hang up. Well the call ends but the timer keeps going and shows call ending. Need to turn off and on to fix it (sometimes by taking the battery out).

Only happens every so often so only a minor annoyance but would like it sorted. Anyone else having this issue?

Soldato
My grans keeps signing her into windows messenger when I had it set to offline. Is there a way to stop it doing this as it just confuses her she just wants to stick with standard messaging.

Associate
I've had my Lumia 710 for a week now and on the whole I have enjoyed using it. Though I have been disappointed with its multi-tasking performance.

I have a Sony Xperia Mini which has the older version of Qualcomm 8255 cpu running at 1.0ghz, using Android over wifi I can stream Tunein radio and browse at the same time with no stream breakups or stutters over my home network. The Lumia 710 has the newer uprated Qualcomm 8255T running at 1.4ghz and when simultaneously streaming on Tunein for Windows Mobile and browsing I get frequent lags and stutters on the radio streams. I think is down to Windows OS not being as mature as Android 2.3.5 that my Xperia Mini is running.

I think Windows mobile is definitely work in progress and needs to mature into great product. At the moment I think Android is the better OS.

Soldato
Had mine for a few days now and its great. Really nice change from Android, feels very fast and stable (coming from a Desire S).

I agree there are a few things that need to be added, but I'm sure with time they will come.

Nice of them to throw in the Cyan battery cover as well, wasn't expecting that! :)

Associate
Was going to say. The only difference you'll see is no boot screen and maybe a few settings unhidden. That's all. When we do the customisation for the operators there is actually very little they can do to the phone. Unlike with Android.

Yeah to be honest even I was thinking "Can I REALLY be bothered to do this" as manufacturer branding is a non-issue. Then I thought back to how Vodafone treated my N95 8GB (debranded that as well) with updates at a glacial pace. So I figured I might as well get it done now instead of waiting and hoping Vodafone give me Tango (and hopefully Apollo) on time.

Do you work for Nokia?

I've had my Lumia 710 for a week now and on the whole I have enjoyed using it. Though I have been disappointed with its multi-tasking performance.

I have a Sony Xperia Mini which has the older version of Qualcomm 8255 cpu running at 1.0ghz, using Android over wifi I can stream Tunein radio and browse at the same time with no stream breakups or stutters over my home network. The Lumia 710 has the newer uprated Qualcomm 8255T running at 1.4ghz and when simultaneously streaming on Tunein for Windows Mobile and browsing I get frequent lags and stutters on the radio streams. I think is down to Windows OS not being as mature as Android 2.3.5 that my Xperia Mini is running.

I think Windows mobile is definitely work in progress and needs to mature into great product. At the moment I think Android is the better OS.

Just tried this out using a couple of the fattest websites I know of and it does indeed do that. To me though it doesn't appear to a problem with multitasking as you describe. More that Windows Phone is giving too much preference to IE with respect to data and it's causing the radio stream to buffer.

Associate
Just tried this out using a couple of the fattest websites I know of and it does indeed do that. To me though it doesn't appear to a problem with multitasking as you describe. More that Windows Phone is giving too much preference to IE with respect to data and it's causing the radio stream to buffer.

I really like the Lumia 710 and at the price of £120 I think it represents excellent value for money, but the streaming and browsing problem just takes the gloss off it, and I also miss Flash support in the browser as well because I cannot stream iplayer.

Soldato
Enjoying my 710. At this price point the quality of the handset is fantastic, really nice and fluid to use and feels nice. Not as good as the 800 but I would recommend it. Does everything I want. So far so good.

Soldato
OP
Still getting calls which don't hang up. Well the call ends but the timer keeps going and shows call ending. Need to turn off and on to fix it (sometimes by taking the battery out).

Only happens every so often so only a minor annoyance but would like it sorted. Anyone else having this issue?

What firmware are you running? (Settings -> About -> More info -> Firmware Revision Number)

My grans keeps signing her into windows messenger when I had it set to offline. Is there a way to stop it doing this as it just confuses her she just wants to stick with standard messaging.

If she signs out of it, it will only sign back in if she presses 'sign in'. There isn't any automatic sign in. At least, not that I am aware of.

Had mine for a few days now and its great. Really nice change from Android, feels very fast and stable (coming from a Desire S).

I agree there are a few things that need to be added, but I'm sure with time they will come.

Nice of them to throw in the Cyan battery cover as well, wasn't expecting that! :)

Glad you like it. I have the Cyan back cover and I think it is a very nice colour. I have, however, scratched my screen, which is not so cool...

Do you work for Nokia?

Yes. I do. However, as I am sure you are well aware everything I say on here is of my opinion, and not of Nokias. Nor will I be giving out any inside information either...

Otherwise I shall be killed to death.

I really like the Lumia 710 and at the price of £120 I think it represents excellent value for money, but the streaming and browsing problem just takes the gloss off it, and I also miss Flash support in the browser as well because I cannot stream iplayer.

There will probably be some kind of iPlayer app in the future. I for one do NOT want flash support on my phone. It ruined my Android phone and slowed it down hideously.

I wouldn't personally. First of all the software they have on there for the 800 is for the American market (so it could ruin yours). Secondly, there will be VERY few phones that are 'unlocked' as they say.

Soldato
Is there something wrong with my battery? Been using it today for 4hours since a 100% charge. Just a few texts, light browsing and a couple of calls and its down to 68%?

The phone seems to charge very quickly which kinda worries me. Usually on my Desire S (granted a slightly bigger battery), the charge would go quickly to 90%, then like 1-2 hours for that last 10%.

Last edited:
Soldato
Is there a way to create a contact without it defaulting to windows live? my windows live ID has a lot of junk contacts on it from my old msn days. Do I need to delete these contacts for them to clear? Quite like the facebook integration but I have a dozen contacts I need to add that aren't on facebook but I dont want to have to show all my useless live IDs just to get to them.

Soldato
OP
Is there something wrong with my battery? Been using it today for 4hours since a 100% charge. Just a few texts, light browsing and a couple of calls and its down to 68%?

The phone seems to charge very quickly which kinda worries me. Usually on my Desire S (granted a slightly bigger battery), the charge would go quickly to 90%, then like 1-2 hours for that last 10%.

Contact Nokia Care

Is there a way to create a contact without it defaulting to windows live? my windows live ID has a lot of junk contacts on it from my old msn days. Do I need to delete these contacts for them to clear? Quite like the facebook integration but I have a dozen contacts I need to add that aren't on facebook but I dont want to have to show all my useless live IDs just to get to them.

You can filter contacts. The three little dots at the bottom of the people hub -> settings -> filter contacts.

I personally have all my contacts saved on Google Contacts. I find it nice and easy to manage them on a PC. Plus if I create a new contact on my phone I can set it so it puts them in my Google Contacts rather than Windows Live.

Soldato
Will i need to send the whole device to Nokia? Or can they send out a replacement battery? Just i don't have another handset to use if i need to send this one away!

Soldato
Contact Nokia Care

You can filter contacts. The three little dots at the bottom of the people hub -> settings -> filter contacts.

I personally have all my contacts saved on Google Contacts. I find it nice and easy to manage them on a PC. Plus if I create a new contact on my phone I can set it so it puts them in my Google Contacts rather than Windows Live.

Yeah I tried that but it just creates them onto my windows live ID. If its easier i'll create a new one just for contacts but it would have been easier to just add one straight off the bat.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a jelly case?

Back
Top Bottom