*** The Official Nokia Lumia 710 Thread ***

Associate
I have got twitter working again now. I was using both user name and email address last night and it would not sign on. This morning tried again and it logged on first attempt, though I was getting rate exceeded warnings at first. Seems all ok now.

Associate
I have had this phone for two weeks now and while the hardware is fantastic with great signal (as is usual with Nokia) and Windows Phone is fluid, does anyone else notice the glaring ommisions and oddities with the OS?

I don't really mind the top row of icons (signal strength etc.) hiding, but WHY do they hide on the home screen automatically. Would make much more sense to keep them there until you start scrolling down. And the App list doesn't even invade their "space" when scrolling so why hide them there at all?

You can't put the phone from Ring + Vibrate into Silent easily. You have to press a volume button, touch on the "Silence" icon AND THEN go into Settings to turn off Vibrate. Seriously why?

You can turn Facebook messaging On/Off. But not Windows Live Messenger. In other words have Facebook signed in but WLM off.

WHY CAN'T I DEFAULT TO MONTH VIEW ON THE CALENDAR. AND WHY IS THE TEXT SO TINY!

Can't get a delivery report with an MMS.

Address Bar in IE never goes away.

To use Twitter (in People hub) you have to link it with your Windows Live account. Why?

Marketplace doesn't display which apps you've purchased while browsing (until you click on Buy).

Marketplace doesn't have a list of purchased/previously installed apps.

Marketplace has separate selections for "applications" & "games" on the first screen. But then go into "applications" and games annoyingly are in there too! Makes the top list of all apps near-useless as they are mostly games.

World Clock is an installable app but not included.

Can't change from the eye-assaulting white background in Inbox.

The delivery report for SMS comes through as another message that I have to then read to clear it.

I can force the phone into GSM (2G) but not 3G. As it's a "highest" setting.

When linking contacts it always seems to favour the Windows Live contact name.

The stupid amount of wasted space in Metro. People hub (with your MASSIVE "people" title) I'm looking at you!

When your app list grows so the letters appear (allowing you to touch one and easily go A-Z), you can't turn it off. My app list is still the size where a quick flick is quicker than a "search". And there's now a load more icons I have to scroll through!!

You can "edit" a known WiFi network but then all the options (for DNS say) are uneditable :confused:

There isn't a way to edit APNs. It took Nokia to create an app to make it so if you changed your SIM, you didn't need to factory reset the phone to get it to use the new APNs. This is basic functionality!

The volume is system wide. So if you turn it down to play a game you then have to remember to turn it up again.

*And breathe*

Last edited:
Associate
I must admit I find the hiding of the signal strength and wifi connections seems very odd. I am still getting used to the phone, so I'll give it a week before I pass judgement, but so far things are working well.

Caporegime
I have had this phone for two weeks now and while the hardware is fantastic with great signal (as is usual with Nokia) and Windows Phone is fluid, does anyone else notice the glaring ommisions and oddities with the OS?

I don't really mind the top row of icons (signal strength etc.) hiding, but WHY do they hide on the home screen automatically. Would make much more sense to keep them there until you start scrolling down. And the App list doesn't even invade their "space" when scrolling so why hide them there at all?

Because you rarely need it, it's on the lock screen and can be accessed by tapping the top. I think it makes it a lot cleaner personally and see why they do it. When you have no signal (and I think when you have low battery) they are visible until signal is returned/charging starts.

You can't put the phone from Ring + Vibrate into Silent easily. You have to press a volume button, touch on the "Silence" icon AND THEN go into Settings to turn off Vibrate. Seriously why?

Because silent for most people is vibrate?:p Seriously though I've never really contemplated (on this phone or any old phones) having vibrate off.

You can turn Facebook messaging On/Off. But not Windows Live Messenger. In other words have Facebook signed in but WLM off.

Yeah, that is a bit annoying, on the other hand I can rarely connect to them anyway so I've never used them! - Don't know if it's a problem with my phone or my provider...

WHY CAN'T I DEFAULT TO MONTH VIEW ON THE CALENDAR. AND WHY IS THE TEXT SO TINY!

The monthly view would suit me too, a bit annoying. Small text so you can actually see what days you have things and what you don't in an easy monthly view.

Can't get a delivery report with an MMS.

People still used delivery reports?:p

Address Bar in IE never goes away.

It used to in landscape mode, then with Mango they decided to stop it disappearing!:confused: Annoying I agree.

Marketplace doesn't display which apps you've purchased while browsing (until you click on Buy).

Yes it does. Clicking on an app that I have already bought gives me the share button but no option to download or buy.

Marketplace doesn't have a list of purchased/previously installed apps.

No, but it is available through Zune and the windows phone website - Bit of an oversight really not having it on the phone, although I guess it's just duplicating the apps list.

Marketplace has separate selections for "applications" & "games" on the first screen. But then go into "applications" and games annoyingly are in there too! Makes the top list of all apps near-useless as they are mostly games.

I agree, there are still some kinks in the marketplace, but then there are in others too.

World Clock is an installable app but not included.

Because most people probably don't need world clock, either way it's free so...

Can't change from the eye-assaulting white background in Inbox.

It's to differentiate between it and text messaging, but I agree, it's a little annoying you can't change it.

The delivery report for SMS comes through as another message that I have to then read to clear it.

When I used delivery reports very occasionally on old phones that's always how it did it. But again, people still use delivery reports?:p

I can force the phone into GSM (2G) but not 3G. As it's a "highest" setting.

What is the problem, turn off 2G do you mean and only use 3G? Why do you want to do that?

The stupid amount of wasted space in Metro. People hub (with your MASSIVE "people" title) I'm looking at you!

That's the design style, either you love it or you don't!

When your app list grows so the letters appear (allowing you to touch one and easily go A-Z), you can't turn it off. My app list is still the size where a quick flick is quicker than a "search". And there's now a load more icons I have to scroll through!!

Have a look here http://windowsphone.uservoice.com/forums/101801-feature-suggestions

The official site for user suggestions!:)

Soldato
A general WP question here, but I've just ordered the 710, but use only my Gmail account for everything.

Thing is, my brother has an Optmius 7 and uses the email address our Xbox Live account is tied to get the Live functionality on the phone. Can I also use that email address and not interfere with anything on his? Would like to get the full functionality out of the phone basically, but don't want to setup a Live account just for it.

Basically, 2 devices on the same Windows Live account. Will it work ok?

Caporegime
You can have more than one WP device per account yep, not sure what it will do with contacts though, I'm guessing you'll get all his contacts automatically on your phone.

Associate
Because you rarely need it, it's on the lock screen and can be accessed by tapping the top. I think it makes it a lot cleaner personally and see why they do it. When you have no signal (and I think when you have low battery) they are visible until signal is returned/charging starts.

It does make things cleaner sure and you definitely don't always need it. But it's applied so inconsistantly it makes me think the decision to have it hide was based entirely on the design on the homescreen.

As examples:

Homescreen & Nokia Maps - Time always (clearly) visible. Content uses bar. Touch bar to make icons appear.

App List - Time always (clearly) visible. Content doesn't use bar. Touch bar to make icons appear.

Phone app & Me App - Time & signal aways (clearly) visible. Content doesn't use bar. Touch bar to make icons appear.

People app & Pictures app & Zune app & Marketplace - Nothing visible. Content uses bar (but sure doesn't have to!). Can't make icons appear.

IE - *Portrait* Nothing visible. Content uses bar. Can't make icons appear until you press the "..." menu after which they all appear. *Landscape* Nothing visible. Content uses bar. Can't make icons appear at all.

Messaging & Calendar - Time always (clearly) visible. Content doesn't use bar. Touch bar to make icons appear. Landscape and Portrait bar modes.

Bing Maps - Permanent transparent bar with time always shown. Touch to make everything appear. A true destruction of the hiding bar design :p

Trying to explain the behaviour of the bar is like trying to explain the behaviour of the Green "+" in Mac OS X. You can't. It's not so much it hides but you simply don't know how it'll behave in a given app until you go there.

Because silent for most people is vibrate?:p Seriously though I've never really contemplated (on this phone or any old phones) having vibrate off.

I either like to be bothered or I don't :p

Yeah, that is a bit annoying, on the other hand I can rarely connect to them anyway so I've never used them! - Don't know if it's a problem with my phone or my provider...

Works pefectly over WiFi or Vodafone on mine :confused:

The monthly view would suit me too, a bit annoying. Small text so you can actually see what days you have things and what you don't in an easy monthly view.

I can barely see them! I think Android and iOS use a fairly big and obvious calendar colour marker to say if you have something that day.

People still used delivery reports?:p

&

When I used delivery reports very occasionally on old phones that's always how it did it. But again, people still use delivery reports?:p

It's quite nice to know the message arrived and it doesn't cost you anything. Although I started using it on my N95 8GB where you have delivery reports in a menu of their own (within Messages). You never got bothered by notifications either. Android was awful and Windows Phone isn't much better.

Yes it does. Clicking on an app that I have already bought gives me the share button but no option to download or buy.

If you buy something, uninstall it and go to the app again then it'll show "Buy" instead of say Purchased.

Because most people probably don't need world clock, either way it's free so...

Just seems odd considering every other phone I've ever used has had it. And it's not like it takes up a lot of space.

What is the problem, turn off 2G do you mean and only use 3G? Why do you want to do that?

Yes. It's a smallish use case but useful if you live in a low & occasionally flakey 3G area (2 bars that can randomly go to none). Stops your phone connecting to 2G but then find 3G again. Also if you travel on trains a lot it can save a fair amount of battery as your phone only has to search for 3G signals.

That's the design style, either you love it or you don't!

I like it but it's inconsistant. I just don't understand why there is "BIG METRO" used in the People app yet "Subtle Metro" used in the likes of Messaging.

Have a look here http://windowsphone.uservoice.com/forums/101801-feature-suggestions

The official site for user suggestions!:)

Ah excellent thanks! :)

Soldato
OP
It also means you can't surf the web etc without turning it on again. At least that's what appears to happen on my Omnia 7.

This should not happen. All it turns off is BACKGROUND data, ie checking your emails for you. It also stops you from using msn/facebook chat. Surfing the web should still work no problem.

Soldato
Can be had now for £119.99 instore at CPW as a PAYG upgrade, providing you have a PAYG sim from one of the major networks thats at least 6 months old and shows records of a top-up.

May have to borrow my mum's Orange PAYG sim and take a dander in!

Shall be popping round to them tomorrow to try and pick one up with my old orange simcard.

Back
Top Bottom