• The forum will be offline Monday from 10am until approximately 3pm for maintainance and upgrades.
  • Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** The Official Nvidia GeForce 'Pascal' Thread - for general gossip and discussions **

Associate
I'm tempted by the 980Ti, but if big Pascal launches H1 2016 then I'm sure it's worth the wait.

Can't help thinking this will be the biggest performance for a while (once all products are out).

Soldato
There is zero chance of H1 2016... Jen-Hsun himself said H2 for the first cards, almost certainly little boy Pascal or even a 750Ti-equivalent.

Man of Honour
On paper it could turn up towards the end of H1 (unexpected issues aside)... but the last 2 times TSMC made such claims about volume production it was infact delayed 6 months :S and already rumours of issues with larger dies.

EDIT: nVidia might be aiming towards larger chips first this time due to industry contracts.

Last edited:
Soldato
EDIT: nVidia might be aiming towards larger chips first this time due to industry contracts.

The GK110/GK210 would have been out for nearly 4 years by then,so it could happen,but then looking at the delay between the Tesla cards and the Titan,it could be a year end launch in 2016 for consumer large die cards,if things work out.

Is there are noise on whether the TSMC 16NM process and how its progressing??

Man of Honour
Not seen anything solid - rumours from the normal sources they are having issues with dies >150mm2 on finfets (apparently they are working but rapidly lose all power/thermal efficiency advantages over that size).

EDIT: This is in regard to TSMC 16nm FF and not specific to nVidia and/or a problem nVidia are having though I'd assume the same kind of issues would affect them.

Last edited:
Soldato
Not seen anything solid - rumours from the normal sources they are having issues with dies >150mm2 on finfets (apparently they are working but rapidly lose all power/thermal efficiency advantages over that size).

EDIT: This is in regard to TSMC 16nm FF and not specific to nVidia and/or a problem nVidia are having though I'd assume the same kind of issues would affect them.

:(

I suppose,its still around a year or so until,so there is time.

Man of Honour
:(

I suppose,its still around a year or so until,so there is time.

I assume that is due to electrical leakage, etc. so likely implication being that they won't be able to hit particularly great clock speeds at first but then nVidia always did like a good refresh :S

Soldato
I assume that is due to electrical leakage, etc. so likely implication being that they won't be able to hit particularly great clock speeds at first but then nVidia always did like a good refresh :S

It could be a Kelper type situation when the smaller chip enters mass production and initial large die based cards are trickled out to commercial customers first?

Associate
If Pascal is such a revolution, Nvidia will hold it back to save some money on future R&D. There is no reason for Nvidia to push things too fast, not if AMD can't catch up.

Back
Top Bottom