• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** The Official Nvidia GeForce 'Pascal' Thread - for general gossip and discussions **

Associate
Don't say that, The nForce boards were a nightmare, We don't want a repeat of that :p

+1

I had an nForce board. Sure it was Nvidia graphics... Nvidia integrated graphics lol. The actual disappointment was that I had that amazing Q6600 cpu and guess what? The board didn't support overclocking. At all. One could argue what a waste of a good chip... It was a pre-built PC (also to blame) and by the time I learnt how fiddle with it, boards for that generation of processors had been gone for a while, so a replacement wasn't an option.

Soldato
I remember my DFI lanparty board being amazing! Although their LAN drivers/software were dreadful, but it was only board i've ever owned that was as satisfying as the Abit NF7-S.

Good times. Having a nostalgic day today....just been playing jedi power battles on the PS1 :| lol

Nf7-s was my first motherboard!! Clocked an AMD Athlon 2500 to Up to 3200 speeds, and some 333 ddr1 up to 400. Loved it!!

bru

bru

Soldato
I've heard a few things, one of which may cause a massive stur with the fanboys.

Is that related to AMD's 100wTDP rumour, A friend said to me that he read that NVidia had increased the power usage of the new GP104 part, which in turn would mean, more powerful and with AMD going the much lower power route, it could mean a massive difference in performance. But when I quizzed my friend on his source, it was a shrug and 'I just read it' so probably just a figment of his imagination.
Of course if you have heard the same then maybe it is more likely ?

Soldato
Supposedly the new AMD cards are not higher than an R9 480 and Nvidia have a bigger chip so not surprising if they have greater performance and more power consumption.

It does mean a massive gap in the AMD lineup,unless AMD are doing an HD4000 series move.

Last edited:

bru

bru

Soldato
Maybe you misunderstand, I heard that the new GP104 will have more power usage than the GM104.

I initially thought well that his nonsense, but I just wondered if what silent scone had heard was similar or in any other way related to AMD's much lower power usage for the Polaris 10.

Soldato
Maybe you misunderstand, I heard that the new GP104 will have more power usage than the GM104.

I initially thought well that his nonsense, but I just wondered if what silent scone had heard was similar or in any other way related to AMD's much lower power usage for the Polaris 10.

They are using a different process so they are not on an equal footing - remember AMD is using GF/Samsung 14NM LPP instead of 14NM LPE which is meant to have power consumption improvements,and if you add that to the density improvements over TSMC 16NM,it might be that Nvidia overall is now using a slightly worse process for power consumption. Now add the fact that the rumours state that Polaris is 232MM2 and the GP104 is around 300MM2,Nvidia is also having a bigger chip too.

I expect they will have greater performance anyway especially if Nvidia is trying to clock it as high as they can.

The reason why I am saying HD4000 series for AMD,is because they might be not looking to get the absolute performance crown from Nvidia currently,but instead focussing on a smaller,easier to make and cheaper chip,giving a decent level of performance. The HD4870 could not beat the GTX280 but was around 80% to 90% of the performance of one and was priced cheaper. Even the HD3870 was 85% of a 8800GT and 80% of a 8800GTX while being cheaper than both.

In both cases,ATI was able to defend its units shipped marketshare reasonably well.

I can see it being what AMD might be doing so they can claw back some marketshare especially for more budget conscious purchasers and for OEMs.

However,it might be until Vega is launched Nvidia is the performance leader.

Last edited:

Mei

Mei

Soldato
that would fit with what amd have been saying yep
i havent seen them say much about performance, just power usage and value

ppl read a lot into that 5second demo on stage :o

bru

bru

Soldato
Differences in processes aside both will give roughly 2x Per/W.
If AMD with the card replacing the 380 are going for half the power, then that gives the same performance, but if NVidia are going for the same power then that gives twice the performance, hence why it could be a massive performance difference. (of course all that is +/- a bit of leeway)
Personally I hope this is all wrong and they both head down the more performance route, as do we really care if a card uses 100, 150 or 200 watts it is how it performs that counts.

Soldato
If AMD go power usage/value route, and Nvidia go performance, it's truly the beginning of the end for AMD. Nvidia already have such a huge market share, it puts AMD in a different consumer category altogether, one that will potentially alienate a huge percentage of their already small consumer base (relative to Nvidia). I think this will be bad for us all in the long run, given the lack of competition Nvidia will have, so I hope I'm wrong, but it looks like it may be heading that way... :(

Associate
If AMD go power usage/value route, and Nvidia go performance, it's truly the beginning of the end for AMD. Nvidia already have such a huge market share, it puts AMD in a different consumer category altogether, one that will potentially alienate a huge percentage of their already small consumer base (relative to Nvidia). I think this will be bad for us all in the long run, given the lack of competition Nvidia will have, so I hope I'm wrong, but it looks like it may be heading that way... :(

They will both bring cards in every segment. Theres no such thing as AMD same perf lower power-NV high perf more power. The cards with similar performance will be compared to each other. At the very top both will go with everything they can squeeze in ~250w.
AMD side if the rumours are true 110-130W for 480, so the 490 should be around 170-180W, so the top Vega could use 230-250W.

Edit: i might misunderstood you. Yes there could be a scenario where AMD has a bit less power usage and performance in liwer brackets, but i doubt it. They are both well aware what the other side is planning, so they will be close just lije every time.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom