• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** The Official Nvidia GeForce 'Pascal' Thread - for general gossip and discussions **

Soldato
Why are people now arguing about past cards? Nostalgia or something lol?

Btw the 1080 shroud i thought looked okay. Something more unique but i guess people prefer the more simplistic look.

Associate
I had a 4870X2. Great card when xfire worked... Shame it was horrifically noisy though. I remember when I took it apart after finally getting an after market cooler the "heatsinks" were tiny fake copper coloured aluminium blocks that wouldn't look out of place sat on a chipset. So yea, fast card when it worked, but my goodness was it made on the cheap. Equivalent NV coolers were and are a world away in terms of quality.

Soldato
People seem to ignore that R&D is getting a LOT more expensive nowadays too. That's another big reason prices for top end have gone up.

You also have to look at how much more advanced these cooling setups are(out of necessity).

It's not simply greed.

Soldato
It'ssomething.jpg

How good are videocardz usually? As in the website? Obviously taken which a pinch of salt but it's the second time we've seen the "polygon" shaped cooler, this time with something underneath most likely.

Permabanned
What a fugly cooler

Reminds me of something

2uh96b5.jpg

Caporegime
I quite like that.

I highly doubt that is a fake what with it looking the same as the last leak and having different screw whole locations to the Maxwell shroud.

Unless there is one almighty Nvidia fanboy out there with a LOT of time and skill on their hands. :p

Mei

Mei

Soldato
im surprised if they went with that design
i did think the pictures we saw b4 were fake
its for sure less classy looking than the current coolers

Soldato
Assuming this is genuine, which I don't see any reason why it isn't, I'm surprised they went with 1080... I thought the rumours of X80 made far more sense from a nomenclature point of view given the 1080p connotations. I think they may be saving 'X' for the HBM2 cards though, to give them more distinction and stand out from all the cards that have come before.

Soldato
I'd much rather the reference cooler, I expect I'll be going 1070 SLI unless they are massively gimped compared to the 1080 in which case I'll see if I can stretch to a pair of those.

Associate
I'd much rather the reference cooler, I expect I'll be going 1070 SLI unless they are massively gimped compared to the 1080 in which case I'll see if I can stretch to a pair of those.

I think I'm going to go single card solution this time round. Given the sheer lack of support that SL receives nowadays, it seems somewhat wasteful... YMMV of course.

Soldato
The link

http://hexus.net/tech/news/graphics...graph/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

Where's the PCI-e connector? it should be visible in the picture, but it's not, could just be the cooler?

you can see the blue mat through the clear bit - so yeah its just the shroud

I'm undecided on whether to go aftermarket or use one of the core only blocks I have on a reference model

pricing will be the decider

single card cuts out the hassle factor for water and maxwell seemed to OC better on water on reference cards than any of the aftermarket cards anyway

and yeah, game support for SLI has been pretty shocking the last year or so with devs taking several months to add support (if at all)

Soldato
I think I'm going to go single card solution this time round. Given the sheer lack of support that SL receives nowadays, it seems somewhat wasteful... YMMV of course.

My 970s have served me well, the worst performance I ever got was that of one 970 which will run just about anything anyway. I'm getting performance in the same ballpark as a titan X or 980Ti for less money most of the time and the game I played the most during this time has been BF4 which worked fine with SLI and GSYNC. My next big game is probably BF5, so I don;t forsee any issues.

The only time SLI has really gone wrong for me was Far cry 2 and the 9800GX2 which had rubbish performance compared to a 9800GT, so I'd never buy a duel chip card again which prevented me from disabling SLI.

I expect a pair of 1070s will be faster than any single GPU solution for the next 9 months or so at least.

Caporegime
My expectation with DX12 is SLI/Xfire will have even more unpredictable performance A few big game devs might put in the effort on some titles and we get way better scaling than DX11, no stutter, and some unique aspect (iGPU rendering some shadows or some such), but for the vast majority f games it will be worse because the onus is on the developer and there is much less AMD and Nvidia can do at the driver level.

Back
Top Bottom