• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** The Official Nvidia GeForce 'Pascal' Thread - for general gossip and discussions **

Associate
Evian, i don't know whether i just had poor cards, but my two 780's (not ti's) would not overclock at all and i had terrible trouble with heat and noise with them. They were great for the 18 month 2 years that i had them, however as i say they were noisy and pumped out loads of heat. These new cards sound considerably better, however they need to be tested in the real world. We need proper benches and reviews.

Associate
Expected stuff, interesting that they claim to support future DisplayPort 1.4 and HDMI 2.0b which isn't out yet.

Get this feeling that fat Pascal TI won't have HBM2 and instead we'll have two Titans with HBM2 next year, will wait for that!

Also interesting that nothing was said about quicker 16 bit float math that should be feature of Pascal.

Associate
wait wait, i just saw the slides 1080 isn't twice the titanx performance, it says vr games, meaning they are counting the 60% perf boost through their projection tech that works only on specific kind of display, making it roughly 40% over the titanx not 100% for regular use, man i feel so cheated.

Associate
wait wait, i just saw the slides 1080 isn't twice the titanx performance, it says vr games, meaning they are counting the 60% perf boost through their projection tech that works only on specific kind of display, making it roughly 40% over the titanx not 100% for regular use, man i feel so cheated.

You just need to read more carefully next time ;)

Multi-projection is going to be very big gain for VR.

If you want proper twice Titan X performance then you'd have to wait for full fat Pascal, possibly Sep-Oct if we lucky.

Associate
Perhaps they will just be relying on brute force methods for rendering. This year I think will be a huge transition for developers with DX12, they will have to design new engines from scratch to make the most of the feature set. I think DX12 has the potential to be fantastic in the right hands, but developers will always take the path of least resistance.

Soldato
So how much should I expect for my 980ti near the end of this month? £5?

Was originally intending to keep on to it until big pascal, but not sure anymore. Decisions, decisions! :D

Associate
I'll keep my 980TI until fat Pascal, ideally with HBM2 but I might bite if they got 70%+ speed with GDDR5X, no point upgrading to get 25% increase (don't use VR)

Associate
Sorry Dmitry is more a general comment. I dont think AMD should be passed over so easily until we see there launch, I think they may have something equally special

Yep for sure, best to wait and see what they've got - even though I am NVIDIA guy since well before GeForce, but I welcome competition to keep prices half-reasonable ;)

Associate
You just need to read more carefully next time ;)

Multi-projection is going to be very big gain for VR.

If you want proper twice Titan X performance then you'd have to wait for full fat Pascal, possibly Sep-Oct if we lucky.

yea but i wasn't watching the stream, i was listening, and peaking from time to time, the difference of what i heard and what i later read on the slides is trully shocking, why do they feel the need to do this, 40% perf over 980Ti is fine, 2x efficiency is fine, you dont need to confuse ppl by adding lines like 2x titanx perf and 3x efficiency.
i doubt it will be big for VR , if we manage to get games that need that much performance, all devs seem to be doing minimalistic graphics, and that wont change, VR will be basicaly lead by playstation, you cannot compare 50mil user to like 1 mil vive/oculus users, 90% of VR games will be ports from the PS4, even the one released now are tailored for the PS4 to be released on it later on.
darn it i got too excited lol, i thought the 4k wall was smashed, and prices and stuff, but in the end everything matched the rumours, but was over the top embelished by huan, 30-40% perf, 2x efficiency, the only 2 real new infos was no riddiculous price, and availability 3-5weeks

Last edited:
Associate
Likewise, I am generally an Nvidia guy, my last AMD card was a 4850 back in the day and that was superb. However i had a short period of driver issues and moved over to Nvidia.

What i have realised though is that drivers are not a reason to stick with a particular brand as they both have issues at various times. Its a bit mental really, but I make sure I do not update to the latest drivers for a few weeks and let others suss the bugs out... and I generally do not purchase new games on release, wait for everything to settle down and then purchase cheap.,.. Blimey apologies I am way off topic.

What I want now is AMD to release their new cards check out proper reviews and then make a choice.

Associate
you dont need to confuse ppl by adding lines like 2x titanx perf and 3x efficiency.

It's marketing... so yes, you do, as long as it's true and properly qualified!

Multi-projection is a great feature, we need more of clever ways to improve performance big time without relying on new manufacturing processes - we are stuck 16-14nm for a pretty long time.

Back
Top Bottom