• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** The Official Nvidia GeForce 'Pascal' Thread - for general gossip and discussions **

Associate
Not bad indeed :D

To quote Jen-Hsun, the 1080 is "twice the performance of Titan X, three times the energy efficiency".

Even if not twice as mentioned above, still a better leap that majority were expecting.

Then you got the 1070 which is faster than Titan X and should end up being around £300. Feel sorry for all those who were impatient and to the ones who listened to easyrider and paid nearly double this for old tech that is the 980Ti.

Now lets see how many people who said they will be sticking with their 980Ti's will be able resist the 1080 :D

Funny to see DM in damage control mode :p

Lets see what Polaris has to offer now. If they can match or beat the performance of the 1070 and beat it on price then it will be good times once again. But it does not look like they will have answer for the 1080.

Associate
GFX-Kid

I was one of those that purchased a couple of cards in April. However given I purchased them through EVGA and provided the cards hit stores before the end of July, I should be able to step-up. But need to see proper independent benchmarks really, if these 1080 cards are truly +30% over 980ti's then I will step up. Lets see.

ps dont regret these cards so quiet. ;)

Associate
Not bad indeed :D

To quote Jen-Hsun, the 1080 is "twice the performance of Titan X, three times the energy efficiency".

Even if not twice as mentioned above, still a better leap that majority were expecting.

Now lets see how many people who said they will be sticking with their 980Ti's will be able resist the 1080 :D

Funny to see DM in damage control mode :p

Lets see what Polaris has to offer now. If they can match or beat the performance of the 1070 and beat it on price then it will be good times once again. But it does not look like they will have answer for the 1080.

thats the point it didnt really exceed expectations it matched them most rumours put it 30% over 980Ti/TitanX, if you ignore all the sweet talk that would put it at 40%, and reviews will put the stock back at 30% or even lower.
like an hour ago i was almost sure i was getting the 1080, mostly because i had 2xtitans and 4k60fps ringing in my head, but now meh, will wait for AMD's reveal, and pascal review and see.
AMD need to undercut the 1070 by 50 bucks, even if they managed to out perform it with polaris 10 somehow, and 100bucks if they are under performing, otherwise i dont see the point of their strategy going for low/mid, if they cannot sweep that range, because the 1080 will be a killer card for high end.

Soldato
Anyone any idea how much AMD and NVidia spent on last gen's? In fairness to AMD, and hopefully to keep arguments at bay here, they might simply not have deep enough pockets to compete at the same level although there was talk on them receiving funding for R&D fairly recently?. Even this gen AMD took a while to catch up and R&D gets cheaper with time to hit a certain performance level. Look at F1 for example where the fastest cars one year (huge investment) is often matched by the poor teams the next year who have a fraction of the amount of the big teams to spend on R&D (much less £ on R&D required to reach the same level of performance with time)

Credit to NVidia tho, great investment in Pascal paying off for customers soon.
I might even pick up two 1080's to play with at this performance level and price.

Last edited:
Associate
I think a huge amount will come from pricing and Nvidia will not be cheaper than AMD. The reviews for both companies will be very interesting. I just hope AMD give us some news soon.

Associate
GFX-Kid

I was one of those that purchased a couple of cards in April. However given I purchased them through EVGA and provided the cards hit stores before the end of July, I should be able to step-up. But need to see proper independent benchmarks really, if these 1080 cards are truly +30% over 980ti's then I will step up. Lets see.

Haha. Well at least you got them through EVGA mate. Not sure how step up program works, but at least you got options. Though I imagine that means more money?

If you do not regret that is cool ;)

Still feel sorry for those who did not get EvGA. Just imagine, buy a card and pay £500+ and then a month or so later a card comes out that is faster for £300 that is more efficient and is new and shiny tech. That coupled with on the back of your mind that now NVidia will be concentrating drivers for pascal. I'd be ****ed.

This is why I never understood when people like easyrider et al were saying upgrade now and people listened :(

Associate
Absolutely It will cost money and bit of aggravation having to send them away, but hey ho I was foolish in fairness. But I have enjoyed them over the past 3 weeks. :)

I really want to see what AMD have up their sleeve though..... so intriguing.

Associate
thats the point it didnt really exceed expectations it matched them most rumours put it 30% over 980Ti/TitanX, if you ignore all the sweet talk that would put it at 40%, and reviews will put the stock back at 30% or even lower.
like an hour ago i was almost sure i was getting the 1080, mostly because i had 2xtitans and 4k60fps ringing in my head, but now meh, will wait for AMD's reveal, and pascal review and see.
AMD need to undercut the 1070 by 50 bucks, even if they managed to out perform it with polaris 10 somehow, and 100bucks if they are under performing, otherwise i dont see the point of their strategy going for low/mid, if they cannot sweep that range, because the 1080 will be a killer card for high end.

I shall also be waiting for reviews from both so I can make a informed choice ;)

Soldato
GFX-Kid

I dont think step up will work if you have a 980ti, Would if you had a 980 as same family its replacing
Pay to shoot the EVGA rep a message and clarify

Associate
My 980Ti has just been listed on the bay :o I figure if I can get a good price early on then I'll do the same once the Ti hits next year, I feel if I wait much longer the 980Ti's will be selling for peanuts.

like are like 24hour late :D, titanx and 980Ti price are going to be on a free fall :D

Associate
My 980Ti has just been listed on the bay :o I figure if I can get a good price early on then I'll do the same once the Ti hits next year, I feel if I wait much longer the 980Ti's will be selling for peanuts.

You are not wrong mate. Would be mad to pay more than £250, £200 even for a second hand 980Ti at this point.

1070 2GB extra VRAM, is faster and more effient. Will also now get most of the drivers optimised for it.

If 1070 brand new is roughly £300, why pay more than £200 for old second hand dead end tech that is the 980Ti at this point?

Soldato
You are not wrong mate. Would be mad to pay more than £250, £200 even for a second hand 980Ti at this point.

Not everyone will have seen the presentation though so might get lucky and find a buyer and hope they pay up before finding out.

For those doubting the claims, is it not feasible that with a boost clock of 2.1ghz and with more cores that it can indeed be 2x TItan X? That is a question as I'm not up to date with the tech low down as many of you are

Back
Top Bottom