• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** The Official Nvidia GeForce 'Pascal' Thread - for general gossip and discussions **

Soldato
These look interesting, priced aggressively on the 1070 also, which has basically rendered the 980ti defunct now, much like the 980ti did to the TitanX.

People saying "lol good bye AMD" carefull what you wish for.

I'm tempted by a 1070 to tide me over til AMD release their high end, as for roughly £300 I can get near on current top tier performance for 6 months or so til AMD show their hand and if they don't compete then basically buy a second 1070 for SLI, decent amount of power for roughly the same price as people paid for top end 980ti's ;)

Soldato
All I'll day is wait for real independent reviews before doing anything. We should all be well aware how companies spin with their marketing these days ;)

I'll be very happy though if there is a price/performance war.

Caporegime
The 980Ti didn't just become a bad card you know, mine will do me for a few months and then look at my options ;) (don't do much gaming in the summer tbh)

Looking forward to the monsters coming down the line though!!! :eek:

Soldato
People need to read up. It's not twice as fast in normal gaming. It's not even twice as fast as a gtx980 never mind a Ti. Remember this is a best case scenario. Check Nvidia's own slides v a gtx980.

http://www.geforce.co.uk/hardware/10series/geforce-gtx-1080#cid=Campaign-Pascal-GTX-1080-Q1-NVIDIA-homepage-UK-CORPWMFG-Owned-Web-Banner&utm_source=NVIDIA-homepage-UK&utm_medium=Owned-Web-Banner&utm_content=CORPWMFG&utm_campaign=Campaign-Pascal-GTX-1080-Q1-Owned-Web-Banner

The 980ti is a good bit faster than the gtx980 and over clocks very well so while the 1080 should be a decent bit faster people need to stop swallowing the twice as fast BS. The twice as fast only applies to certain scenarios in VR.

Soldato
lol at people believing the double performance hype :D

I sold my TX yesterday for a very good price so I'm one happy man anyway :)

Well, it was a bit misleading. Further research makes me think more like 40% faster than a TX, (maybe) :D
Think I'll pick up one and see what comes along next.

Hopefully they've paid for the TX and it's been delivered and both happy - if on eBay anything can happen ! :).
Anyone picking up a new current gen mid-top end card now at current prices must be bonkers. Worth waiting even just for the new features including better DX12 support, faster memory.

Last edited:
Caporegime
People need to read up. It's not twice as fast in normal gaming. It's not even twice as fast as a gtx980 never mind a Ti. Remember this is a best case scenario. Check Nvidia's own slides v a gtx980.

http://www.geforce.co.uk/hardware/10series/geforce-gtx-1080#cid=Campaign-Pascal-GTX-1080-Q1-NVIDIA-homepage-UK-CORPWMFG-Owned-Web-Banner&utm_source=NVIDIA-homepage-UK&utm_medium=Owned-Web-Banner&utm_content=CORPWMFG&utm_campaign=Campaign-Pascal-GTX-1080-Q1-Owned-Web-Banner

The 980ti is a good bit faster than the gtx980 and over clocks very well so while the 1080 should be a decent bit faster people need to stop swallowing the twice as fast BS. The twice as fast only applies to certain scenarios in VR.

Indeed, I'll actually be surprised if it's much faster than my TX was at 1500/8000 clocks, obviously the 1080 will overclock as well but the difference on screen likely won't be noticeable. Just pleased I get to pocket about 300 quid and have similar performance and drivers focused on the new cards.

Associate
Well, it was a bit misleading. Further research makes me think more like 40% faster than a TX, (maybe) :D
Think I'll pick up one (not two now that perf not actuallly double) and see what comes along next.

Hopefully they've paid for the TX and it's been delivered and both happy - if on eBay anything can happen ! :).
Anyone picking up a new Ti or TX now at current prices must be bonkers. Worth waiting even just for the new features including better DX12 support, faster memory).

not even 40%, the only slide without VR actualy puts it at 20% over 980Ti/X, and that is still a PR slide, so benchs wont always be as good as the best scenario, so probably 10-20% stock, the selling argument here will be overclocking.

Associate
Indeed, I'll actually be surprised if it's much faster than my TX was at 1500/8000 clocks, obviously the 1080 will overclock as well but the difference on screen likely won't be noticeable. Just pleased I get to pocket about 300 quid and have similar performance and drivers focused on the new cards.

at stock will be slower by about 10% i think, if you put 1080 and 980ti clock by clock according to the slides, the 1080 is 20% slower :)
that would make maxwell a better architecture :D just on the wrong process

Last edited:
Soldato
not even 40%, the only slide without VR actualy puts it at 20% over 980Ti/X, and that is still a PR slide, so benchs wont always be as good as the best scenario, so probably 10-20% stock, the selling argument here will be overclocking.

Yep Nvidia have the 1080 around 55% faster in the Witcher 3. Here's a Pre OCed gtx980ti against a gtx980ti. Nvidia never stated the resolution so will settle at 1440p. The OCed gtx980ti is around 52% faster than gtx980 and still has some more in the tank.

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Gigabyte/GTX_980_Ti_XtremeGaming/19.html

Last edited:
Associate
So glad I didn't buy the Pair of 980Ti I was looking at on eBay for £450 each looks I will be able get a Pair of 1080 for roughly same cost and have fair bit more performance.

Permabanned
Faster than 980SLI... in VR :D

Technically true, But not quite 40% in Witcher looks like its 35% ish? Also is $450 going to be 1:1 £$ conversion and reach up into our bums for £450?

Back
Top Bottom