• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** The Official Nvidia GeForce 'Pascal' Thread - for general gossip and discussions **

Don
That is it, I am never buying a Nvidia card again, I am am going to buy one of them overclockers dream cards....

It is boring now, they all say what they think people/investors want to hear, If you get upset by this you would never buy from either of them.

Caporegime
nVidia being lying sacks of ****, are we really surprised anymore!!??? Really?????? :D

That is it, I am never buying a Nvidia card again, I am am going to buy one of them overclockers dream cards....

It is boring now, they all say what they think people/investors want to hear, If you get upset by this you would never buy from either of them.

Yer them politics getting in the way of my enjoyment!!!

Soldato
So NV demoed a fake, as we all knew deep down already.

My god, made in the 3rd week of 2015, GDDR5, did they really think this would fool anyone? If it really is illegal to lie at an event like CES, I wonder what heat will come down.

Associate
It could be that Volta is for commerical use and Pascal for consumer use?

For 2017 I agree, pascal dies will cover the consumer/pro market 2016 and 2017 (maybe volta Tesla products released after contracts filled whenever that may be).
Looking at the Sierra and Summit destined Volta chip I was wondering just how far they go in dedicating space to features that are of no use to the consumer that it will not be suitable to ever package/market it as a consumer card. (Not because it couldn't perform as a consumer chip but that another die could achieve the performance or more at a smaller die size and sell for better margins as a high end graphics card - no need for masses of fp64, NVlink support, perhaps fewer HBM controllers and without any other transistor eating tuning for HPC).
Once these commercial orientated features are established and expected in follow up commercial products I can see that pattern recurring, effectively a commercial only die.

It does depend on both commercial and consumer markets being large enough/exploitable for long enough before the next process shrink to make it worthwhile, and with sufficient performance progression to make it marketable (GM200 showed plenty). Otherwise you may as well throw supercomputer Volta into the consumer market for a few months and await 10nm. /Speculation

Associate
Take every AMD fanboy in this forum, times it by 3.9 bajillion and you still wouldnt touch him.

Nah, he just calls them on their ********, unlike the tame tech press / fanboy blogs. Moreover he's been instrumental in uncovering and documenting much of their ******** ... particularly the Tier 0 inducements (bribing system OEMs to drop AMD).

Caporegime
So NV demoed a fake, as we all knew deep down already.

My god, made in the 3rd week of 2015, GDDR5, did they really think this would fool anyone? If it really is illegal to lie at an event like CES, I wonder what heat will come down.

They didn't demo a fake. They had some kind of protoype in a glass box that probably didn't have Pascal GPUS, but they certainly have tested engineering samples with real Pascal GPUs and reported performance from real Pascal hardware and are sending them to partners.

If companies had to have genuine hardware at CES then half the exhibitors would be breaking the law. Open up the trunk of half those cars that are supposedly autonomous test vehicle - they are completely empty inside because the real test vehicles are in use back at Michigan testing grounds etc.

This image here has genuine Pascal chips in it:
http://blogs.nvidia.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/ces-drive-px-web.gif

What it probably means is at this point in time Nvidia probably only have dozens of engineering samples, not hundred or thousands of per-production cards, which is evident because Nvidia will only be shipping production ready cards to select partners form around April. Mass production for commercial use is not expected to Q4.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Link please!

If you don't work for NVidia then all this is here say?

http://nvidianews.nvidia.com/news/n...-in-car-artificial-intelligence-supercomputer

The DRIVE PX 2 development engine will be generally available in the fourth quarter of 2016. Availability to early access development partners will be in the second quarter. - See more at: http://nvidianews.nvidia.com/news/n...telligence-supercomputer#sthash.tyMzN3Pb.dpuf

I know partners that are getting development kits and production samples and were told April.

Caporegime
Are you blind? Genuine CAD image. That is no more real and physical than this 'real' cat -> :3

Aside from very obviously being a digital image, don't you think they'd have brought the real product if they actually had the real product?

There is a PX2 image:
http://images.nvidia.com/content/tegra/automotive/images/2016/solutions/drive-px2-thumb.jpg

They do have the real product so there isn't much debating that. They didn't ptu the real product in a glass case at CES, perhaps because the real product has some secrets they don't want to share yet, e.g. does it use HBM?, how much RAM? Or maybe they only have a few dozen prototypes about and don't want one in CES, as i said, most of the companies at CES don't actually have the real product on display.

Caporegime
Nvidia GP104 Pascal GPU Spotted on Zauba – Roughly ~350mm^2 Die Size, Will Match or Exceed the GM200 in Performance

http://wccftech.com/nvidia-gp104-pascal-zauba/

Can we please start a pointless argument about how Nvidia are going to be first to market, not to worry as AMD will get their HBM access soon, and proclaim wildly that engineering samples means full scale production is immanent?:D

At least all the dates of those shipments were last week, not 1 year ago.

Back
Top Bottom