***The Official OcUK Lego Thread***

Associate
What about something like this?

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/...hemnes-coffee-table-black-brown-art-80176284/

Looking at the size of it the Falcon should fit nicely on the lower shelf... it doesn't have a glass top but I don't think that would stop you from seeing the model

Thanks for that but I am looking for a glassed top table.

Try here for a case : http://www.puredisplay.com/pureshop/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=143

The UCS MF one should fit the new version fine. Its £100 but should do a good job of protecting it.

There are solutions out there for the old one to wall mount it using TV wall mounts and some clever connecting of bricks/arms and some bolts. No real guides but it has been done to the older one. Depends how much the new one has changed with the core build.

Wow, that is a very useful link, thanks.

If I can't find a suitable table, it looks like I will be getting one of their cases.

Soldato
Would one of those cases be strong enough to use as a coffee table? (you could probably make a simple set of wooden legs or similar to make it look less like a display case plopped on the floor!)... 3mm Acrylic sounds fairly thin though I suppose...

Associate
Yes, red flaps with cannons on both desk and below. Red /white sails. Classic Lego Pirate ship. Search DD-Tech Store Lepin 870 PCS pirate ship - Ali Express. £29

Yes that was the one! I'm glad lots of people share my fond memories of the pirate sets.

I'm sure this has been mentioned in this thread already, but those Lepin offerings are interesting. I guess Lego won't do a reissue, and if they were to I guess they would be expensive.

Haha, I am loving the spelling + posing going on here

And people selling display cases for Lego! Someone is making a killing off us older Lego builders with disposable income.

Soldato
Yes that was the one! I'm glad lots of people share my fond memories of the pirate sets.

I'm sure this has been mentioned in this thread already, but those Lepin offerings are interesting. I guess Lego won't do a reissue, and if they were to I guess they would be expensive.

Haha, I am loving the spelling + posing going on here

And people selling display cases for Lego! Someone is making a killing off us older Lego builders with disposable income.

Lepin are useful for retired sets. Plenty of discussion in the thread, I find them ok to fill in gaps, genuine Lego is much much better. As with USC sets for example you get much better instruction book, usually has forwwords from the design team etc... The books with Lepin are not as good, and most of the time with Lepin you get no box, but for sets you missed out on, its a good alternative.

As for the cases, yes I think some guys are making a killing on AFOLs - but why not? Its the speculators I don't like so much, £1000 + for a Super Star Destroyer? No thanks.

Soldato
Toy/hobby manufacturers have realised there is money to be made from the older generation. From Lego to action figures (Transformers for me :) )

Vintage RC cars is big business. The car in my sig was originally released in '89. NIB kits were selling over £1000 until Tamiya realised they were missing a trick and starting remaking the cars. This particular car has stopped production, again, and prices for original and re-release are on the up again.

My loft is full of Lego, Tamiya, retro consoles, board games, Transformers. :)

Soldato
Indeed... I've been considering picking up the Red Five UCS X-Wing for a little while... would buy an official one if they were still selling them

I have that one myself, £49 is a total steal and worth every penny as it builds 100% same as orginal. I did buy replacement stickers and a new canopy. Other then this, perfect model. And so much cheaper then ebay.

Toy/hobby manufacturers have realised there is money to be made from the older generation. From Lego to action figures (Transformers for me :) )

Vintage RC cars is big business. The car in my sig was originally released in '89. NIB kits were selling over £1000 until Tamiya realised they were missing a trick and starting remaking the cars. This particular car has stopped production, again, and prices for original and re-release are on the up again.

My loft is full of Lego, Tamiya, retro consoles, board games, Transformers. :)

Oh wow, would love to rummage around in that, I love Tamiya RC cars. I have still got my grasshopper, but I sold my Nissan Kingcab and regretted it - Tamiya RC when I was a kid was just so cool. There are much better RC cars, but Tamiya made them look so cool.

I dunno what it is about grown adults and Transformers, Tamiya RC or any RC, Lego and models from our fav movies or series. Boys and their toys.

Associate
Would one of those cases be strong enough to use as a coffee table? (you could probably make a simple set of wooden legs or similar to make it look less like a display case plopped on the floor!)... 3mm Acrylic sounds fairly thin though I suppose...

Just contacted them.
No, they are not strong enough to support any weight but they are working on a coffee table design but no ETA or price as of yet.

Soldato
Just contacted them.
No, they are not strong enough to support any weight but they are working on a coffee table design but no ETA or price as of yet.

Cool... that's a bit of a shame, but at least now you know!

I don't think I could justify displaying it anywhere that didn't have a dual purpose (as say a coffee table) - it's just too big... the wall mounting thing is a neat idea but I don't really think it would look all that good (certainly not in the spaces I could put it)... plus having it wall mounted just means having to dust it all the time, and with it attached to the wall the likelihood of bits falling off as you do that seems high

Even with the coffee table thing my current house doesn't have space for a coffee table so unless I come up with a great idea I'm going to be taking it apart again once it's finished! (I don't consider that a huge problem though, as it just means I get to build it again someday when I have a more suitable way to display it)...

Incidentally I'm sort of relieved after all people's complaining on Reddit about the set having stickers and it being an outrage - unless there are other sheets I am yet to find there are hardly any stickers at all and almost all of them are for the interior of the ship... that seems fine to me. I'm tempted to leave the exterior stickers off as they don't look like they'd add much

Soldato
Ooh MF in warehouse. Was backordered, didn't expect anything before Xmas. I reckon there's just loads of people cancelling.

I've got the blue and white sailed pirate ship somewhere at my mum's, I'll find it when I go see her next. You lot have reignited the pirate ship love.

Caporegime
Ooh MF in warehouse. Was backordered, didn't expect anything before Xmas. I reckon there's just loads of people cancelling.

I've got the blue and white sailed pirate ship somewhere at my mum's, I'll find it when I go see her next. You lot have reignited the pirate ship love.

I had them both. Can't begin to imagine how many hours I put in with them. So much fun as a kid. Sure mine came with a shark that's not in that pic though!
I remember that I customised the smaller one (blue and white) so that it had an enclosed cabin like the pirate ship.

Also with the mf I've just spoken to lego. They're shipping bulk batches over from Belgium to the UK via cologne. Even though mine's showing as sent it's probably not going to arrive in the UK until this weekend.
It went from back order to in warehouse on Fri night. Complete at midnight on Sun.

Soldato

Know what you mean. I am now having memories of kits I had when I was a kid. I remember having a train set that actually did run, and it was rather expensive back in the day. Lego was a big part of my childhood, and the pirate ships and space ships were a big part as well. Wish I'd kept those ones, I did keep my Lego Technic until family member sold them off, was not overly happy with that..

Back
Top Bottom