**** The Official OnePlus 6T Thread ****

Soldato
the camera performance is really killing it for me :(

I miss my pixel 2 xl camera..

put that camera in 6t and It'd be the perfect phone!

If you're such a camera buff then my first question would be - why on earth are you even using a phone camera? Surely you should be using a high end DSLR. For me a phone camera is something I use for taking quick snaps - like the old Kodak Brownie 127.

I will never be printing these images, they will simply reside in Google Photos for viewing on my PC or TV. For this type of work even a phone costing no more than £150 will do a decent job

Soldato
On this one I'm with Grudas. Just because you wont be printing a wall poster from it, doesn't mean you don't want a good photo. I certainly only get my DSLR out when I know I'll be needing it, which isn't very often tbh. My dad was a photographer and he always took a compact camera with him anywhere he went. These days that's not necessary if you have a decent camera phone.

Soldato
Same opinion here - the whole "why don't you use a DSLR then" argument is a little dull. For starters, you can't fit one in a pocket, but the main point for me is that if there's another phone camera that is obviously better, then it sticks out as an inferior feature.

All Grudas is saying is that it's noticeably worse than a 2 XL, and it would be nice to have something on par with the best from the previous year. I don't think it's unfair to ask for that considering how much OnePlus devices now cost - it's not exactly a flagship killer if it can't even nail one of the most important features.

To be fair, I think software plays the biggest part - I was shocked at how much more light is captured from the Google camera mod for the S8. Night and day difference (pun not intended). Only issue I have is that it's quite slow at capturing and then processing.

Soldato
If you're such a camera buff then my first question would be - why on earth are you even using a phone camera? Surely you should be using a high end DSLR. For me a phone camera is something I use for taking quick snaps - like the old Kodak Brownie 127.

I will never be printing these images, they will simply reside in Google Photos for viewing on my PC or TV. For this type of work even a phone costing no more than £150 will do a decent job

I'm not a camera buff at all.

I simply want to have a simple point and shoot solution.

as an example, I need to quickly snap a picture of an item in a store, e.g. that I had yesterday..

pixel 2 xl -; open app -> shoot -> done
op6 -> open app -> shot -> blurry/weird focus -> try again -> shoot -> share -> realize that it is still blurry and focused at the wrong point when viewed again.

my point is that I need to 3-4 attempts before a picture of a similar quality is achieved(compared to pixel 2) which is frustrating. Go in bad light etc and it's struggling to behave it self. Maybe I am spoiled by my pixel 2xl or maybe OP6 is just that far behind a device that's already been replaced :)

I'm not slating the phone, I do like it but I'm tempted to switch back due to that alone.

I guess it depends what device you had before this.

Soldato
The latest update for 6T has definitely improved the camera (software). I shot a few indoor snaps yesterday evening to compare and contrast and at normal zoom I couldn't tell the difference between the OP app and the GCam app - whereas before the difference was really noticeable.
Alternatively just use the GCam app - you get all the software goodies of the Google s/w and the two physical lenses from the 6T - a combination which produces BETTER portrait shots than the Pixel (2XL in my testing).
Finally, good and all as the Pixel cameras are any DSLR will still p*ss all over it. I rarely use my phone camera anyway, mainly for uploading items to the bay or quick snaps for social media, it does not take a very good camera to fulfil these duties - totally agree with @Faustus on that one.

Associate
The latest update for 6T has definitely improved the camera (software). I shot a few indoor snaps yesterday evening to compare and contrast and at normal zoom I couldn't tell the difference between the OP app and the GCam app - whereas before the difference was really noticeable.
Alternatively just use the GCam app - you get all the software goodies of the Google s/w and the two physical lenses from the 6T - a combination which produces BETTER portrait shots than the Pixel (2XL in my testing).
The Gcam mod has been shown to compare well even to the Pixel 3 with shortcomings being in the form of night processing (dramatic shortcoming) and white temperature being a bit warmer (though some prefer this). Goes to show how dependent these devices are on post processing.

Still, my main purpose in using Gcam is for its auto-tracking and automatic exposure compensation rather than anything else. It's amazing. Oneplus' latest releases produce crisp detail but require more care to compose with.

Soldato
So I clicked the one where he was asking A and B... I searched along the time line for a photo that wasn't in perfect conditions... I got to the end of the video confused...
indeed! taking pictures in perfect conditions is easy.

include low light, street lights etc and most phones struggle and only the best come out with decent composure.

plus I'd like to see a review where a comparison is made with a simple one-click-photo.

open -> tap -> final shot

and I'm 99% sure we'd end up with better phones on the top.

software is as important if not more important these days than hardware, which is why google is so high up in camera performance.

Soldato
People are too hellbent on what reviewers say these days, but if you are not aware of what phone takes what photo then you are in for a surprise:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5-bo8a4zU0

I participated in the voting etc, and after going through and checking which phone took which photos, I voted the following:

1st Round:

Mate 20, Razer Phone 2, Pixel 2, iPhone XS, Pixel 3, Hydrogen, Note 9, Pocophone (on this one, I only voted for it because the other device, the iPhone, looked very hazey)

2nd Round:

Mate 20, V40, Hydrogen, Note 9

3rd Round:

Blackberry (felt the blackberry exposed the shot better - Mate 20 was just bright), Hydrogen

4th Round:

Mate 20

Overall, I liked the test. I would liked to have seen some more challenging conditions - night time, high contrast etc, as it would have allowed the phone with better software and hardware to flex their muscles a little.

What you have to remember, though, is that any of the phones that went out in the first round could have demolished the others throughout the rest of the test; just because it didn't pass the first, it doesn't mean it's a bad overall camera.

I still preferred the flatter, higher dynamic range shots of the "better" camera phones - I felt it was quite easy to tell them apart.

Back
Top Bottom