*** The Official OS X Mountain Lion 10.8 Thread ***

Caporegime
Great idea!

I think its a matter of time before they start allowing people to create apps/widgets to add in their push notifications to the NC. :)

Basically, anything that has a push notification on the phone, can also be added into the NC. I understand why they have done it for just their own select apps...they are trialing it to see how much people use it.

Look at automator....I barely know anybody thats used it...EVER, let alone regularly :p - hence they haven't pushed it anymore.

Give it a couple of months :)

Soldato
I want them to add the ability to write notes quickly in the NC. I don't want to have to load up the actual app. You can do tweets so not sure why you can't add reminders and notes!

Commissario
Every now and then, I hear the same sound effect that plays if you drag an icon out of the dock, the sort of whoof noise but I've got no idea what's causing it.

Anyone else get this, any idea what it is?

Soldato
Okay, bit of an open question here.

As someone who uses their Macbook for general web surfing and a bit of typing, would I see any benefit in upgrading to ML? It's currently running Snow Leopard.

It's also a 2008 model if that helps, C2D 2.4Ghz, GF9400, 4GB DDR3.

V F

V F

Soldato
Every now and then, I hear the same sound effect that plays if you drag an icon out of the dock, the sort of whoof noise but I've got no idea what's causing it.

Anyone else get this, any idea what it is?

Thats usually iChat/Messages when somebody goes offline.

Soldato

As someone who uses their Macbook for general web surfing and a bit of typing, would I see any benefit in upgrading to ML? It's currently running Snow Leopard.

It's certainly a better option than Lion.

I've been meaning to upgrade my 2009 Mini of similar specs from Snow Lep to Mountain Lion, might do it this weekend.

Caporegime

I have a similar spec 2008 one that was on SL and I upgraded to ML. Unless you use Safari I don't see any web browsing difference on Chrome. Speed wise it is about the same, but startup and shutdown is marginally slower (albeit a second or two). Fans seem to kick in a bit more frequently as well.

In hindsight I should have just stuck to SL, but I haven't lost anything by changing to ML, apart from a minor learning curve in some interface changes between SL and ML and having to install a few new bits of software here and there that is ML compatible.

rp2000

Soldato
Anyone ever had a problem when disabling Hibernate and Sleep Image?

I have disabled Hibernate as it takes a absolute age to go to sleep and also disabled the sleep image as it's taking up like 18GB's of data on my SSD.

Caporegime
Anyone ever had a problem when disabling Hibernate and Sleep Image?

I have disabled Hibernate as it takes a absolute age to go to sleep and also disabled the sleep image as it's taking up like 18GB's of data on my SSD.

How can I check if I have a sleep image?

Standby (windows) = Sleep (Mac)
Hibernate (windows) = ??

I know when my Mac runs out of battery it takes a bit longer to come out of standby, I guess that is because it took a snapshot of the RAM to the HDD (ala hibernate).

In that scenario I guess it would only take up the same amount of space as the RAM in the machine?

rp2000

Soldato
Hi All,

Currently got a Mac Mini 2011 with Radeon GFX and i7 running Lion, and a MBP 2010 with a 2.66ghz C2D running Snow Leopard.

If I buy the ML download in iTunes, can I upgrade both of these machines with that 1 purchase? I seem to remember this being the case with Lion, but just wanted to be sure so I dont have to put the MBP from SL to Lion to Mountain Lion ...

Back
Top Bottom