*** The Official Playstation 4 (PS4) Thread ***

Soldato
OP
But then why don't PC's use all GDDR5 instead of DDR3 and 5? I honestly don't know. Everyone seems to act like 8Gb of DDR3 is going to cripple the One but my PC has that and it seems to do just fine!

There's a reason why all performance graphics cards only use GDDR5. Higher resolution textures require huge amounts of RAM bandwidth. In order to be thrown around at high FPS.

DDR3 is better at general purpose software code, and data. Quicker access for frequently changing data.

That pretty much sums it up.

Soldato
OP
Its nice to know the back ground of the PS4 architect. Its great that he came from a software background, rather than management.

He has a great gentle speaking voice, reminds me of Bob Ross :) Its a very interesting informative talk. Especially, when he explains the choices between eSDRAM or not.

Soldato
OP
That suggests that in a few years time, the Xbone will be trouncing the PS4. Surely all the developers know how to work with that memory after having used it for Xbox 360?

I dunno, Mark Cerny will know more about it than me. He's from the game developer stable.

Soldato
OP
that thing looks painful / uncomfortable to wear.

bet it costs big bucks too.

in reality how many people would actually buy it? i doubt very much due to the price. any info been released on a estimated RRP?

Dev kits cost around $350. So I expect the retail version to cost less.

Soldato
OP
As much as I'd like one, I know it'll be like the other consoles I've bought in the past. Great for the first week and then barely played again. I'm too much of a pc gamer. Might consider spending the money I would have on the console/games on upgrading the pc.

That pretty much describes what happens when I buy consoles.

Soldato
OP
I assume that some memory will probably be reserved for the OS, IO, PS4 Eye, Remote Play, the Share functionality and live streaming and maybe download caching and sleep/hibernation/suspend play etc.

All that functionality will eat into the RAM.

Soldato
OP
Not that I understand the economics of crime but I presume you would not be able to sell them for £350 stolen.

If there is a supply shortage, then the reseller market prices will rise past the RRP. The same that happened to the PS2 if I remember correctly.

Then the inherent risk of getting caught, the planning........surely if they were so profitable you would hear about PC World/Amazon warehouse/Argos distrubtion centre getting knocked off all the time.

Distribution centres would be extremely hard to knock off. It would be simpler and quicker to stop a lorry and offload its contents.

Soldato
OP
Shadow of the Beast from the new new ones announced - dno when its out but I need to know why/how it exists...

It exists because it was an original Psygnosis game on the Amiga. Sony bought out Psygnosis and all its IPs, WipeOut, Shadow of the Beast etc.

Soldato
OP
DriveClub PSN Edition

"The PS Plus edition will give you “an exciting selection of cars across all five classes, beautiful locations and exciting race tracks featured that you can play in all game modes” but won’t include all of the content to be found in the game, unless you choose to upgrade.

You can either buy a complete upgrade to the full game, or just buy individual items as you go along, which sounds like a neat way of doing things. Everything you’ve unlocked will be carried over, too, but the PS Plus edition doesn’t sound too limited."

Soldato
OP
I've cancelled my PS4 order now. I will keep adding the PS4 games to my PSN+ with my Vita games.

I've realised i'll not have time to use it at launch. Got loads of stuff on my 360, Vita and Wii. Got a 6 wk old daughter now taking up time.

I also got World of Tanks, Star Citizen, Elite Dangerous, Godus, HEX and other Kickstarter projects backed. As well as my extensive Steam library.

I will also probably get Watch_Dogs and some new stuff on PC rather than console. I can put the PS4 fund to getting 80mb fiber, now I have moved out of my 120mb Virgin Media :(

My guild will also be moving over to Wildstar when it launches. So I may end up getting a PS4 a bit later on.

Soldato
OP
They were having performance issues, mainly due to lack of CPU power i believe

Its not the lack of CPU power.

The main reason is that the main gameplay thread is single thread. They are trying to rework that thread into mutliple threads for the 8 cores.

Once they have redesigned the engine and split the thread, then they can use that engine for the PC. This will directly benefit AMD PC users where the CPU favours multple threads, rather than the single threads of the Intel CPUs.

Soldato
OP
One of my mates said Game tried to sell him a 2 year warranty for £75. Except the 2 years don't start after the 1 year you get as standard. So it was essentially a one year guarantee. Gotta love Game! :rolleyes:

LOL whats even better is that under the EU, all electrical goods get 2 years warranty. So its £75 for nothing. Adding that the Sales of Goods Act actually covers goods for up to 5 years (or what you reasonably expect that item to last, ie, TV about 5 years, bread about 3 days)

Back
Top Bottom